cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors about AMEX Green? (Now Live for New Apps)

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

"Travel, transit, and dining"... Interesting.

If it's 3x MR as speculated, that would make this a direct competitor to the Chase Sapphire Reserve, no? That increased $150 annual fee - essentially the CSR's after the travel credit - makes it seem so to me.

Although now I'm questioning why the travel-centric Platinum doesn't have a "travel" category and the Green does.

Living that DINK life, baby.
Message 381 of 528
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

If it's 3x MR as speculated, that would make this a direct competitor to the Chase Sapphire Reserve, no? That increased $150 annual fee - essentially the CSR's after the travel credit - makes it seem so to me.

Although now I'm questioning why the travel-centric Platinum doesn't have a "travel" category and the Green does.

I suppose Amex could be positioning the Green, Gold, and Platinum cards each as travel cards that form a complete set. The benefits of the cards don't completely overlap, so there is some degree of value-add by holding all three (which leads to more AFs for them...)

Amex Platinum: NPSL | Amex (Rose) Gold: NPSL | Amex Everyday: $16,500 | Amex SPG: $3,500 | Amex Luxury SPG: $10,000 | Amex Delta Platinum: $5,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $15,000 | Ritz-Carlton: $10,000 | Chase Freedom: $1,500 | Chase Freedom Unlimited: $3,000 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $5,900 | Marriott Premier Rewards: $5,100 | Hyatt: $3,000 | 1st Financial: $8,300 | Citi Double Cash: $6,200 | Discover It: $14,200 | Quicksilver: $24,000 | Arrival+: $12,500 | Citi Best Buy: $8,000 | Costco Visa: $8,500 | Apple Card: $7,500
Message 382 of 528
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@cardfan wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

I suppose Amex could be positioning the Green, Gold, and Platinum cards each as travel cards that form a complete set. The benefits of the cards don't completely overlap, so there is some degree of value-add by holding all three (which leads to more AFs for them...)

Yeah, except I can transfer to Hyatt, United, and JetBlue at a 1:1 ratio. 

AMEX apparently hasn't figured out that Citi and Chase allow 1:1 transfers a while ago, but still continue to do the 250:200 ratio. 

When I'm getting 3 cents per point when redeeming for Hyatt rooms, why would I get the new Green card when most MR partners strive to make your redemptions equal to about one cent each? AMEX would have to pay out 3x as many points on their cards to match the value. Let's see AMEX's hotel partners... Hilton and Marriot, two partners where each of their point values are worthless. 

When I'm trying to transfer my MR to Skypesos valued at approximately 1 cent per mile, I can instead redeem through Chase's travel portal at 1.50 cents per point instead.  

The direct competitor remains the Platinum. 

Message 383 of 528
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@cardfan wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

Platinum has a travel category, but very specific (flights, hotels through amextravel), and the Gold has 3x for flights. The Green has not specified which "travel" it would be, and my guess is that it will have the same "through amextravel.com" caveat. If it is general "travel", then why put "transit" as a separate category? The Gold has 4x on all restaurants, and this is a big overlap with the Green's mystery multiplier. Transit seems to be the only thing that separates it from the other two. I will also make a guess that that multiplier is 2X, given it has two $100 credit - both of which I find way easier to use as a travel credit, I will guess that it is either/or, as it seems excessive (imho, Clear is a better credit than Platinum's Global Entry).

Message 384 of 528
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Saeren wrote:
Someone trying to snap a photo without getting caught and losing their job?

It looks to me like a  controlled leak.

I would second that ^^ Controlled "Leak"

Message 385 of 528
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@awc94 wrote:

There was a leak on Reddit this morning outlining the rewards structure and benefits of the card. I'm not sure if it is real, but I will list what the picture says here.

30k MR SUB

$150 AF

Limited $100 credit with away luggage

Travel, transit, and dinning all have the same multiplier, but the exact number is cut off. Speculation in the comments suggests 3x.

$100 credit to clear

$100 credit to loungebuddy.

And that's about it. You can see the leak on the r/amex subreddit

SUB is good, everything else meh.

ѠαԼԼεէ ✈⛽☕ թⲅoթ∈l ✈☕⸿sᖇ ✈☕⍟❡olδ ⍟Ⲙileⴑթ ┊ↇᏨ ⛽⍶⍶թƧ ☕▲B
⛪ Ҩⵢ┊ēᗟ ☏८ſⴑ ┊⍶⍶թƧβiz ⍟iէ ⛽८ſ⛪⸨ꜷ ᐰmzn ᐰ√ ⌚wſ -√ ☏⸿i⸿ ┊⸿iⴑ ⚕ᙪᙪթ⸩ Ձ൦Ձ❶ ✢८αsℏẉisē, թreᲠier, ᐰviα₶oⲅℝ
Message 386 of 528
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@cardfan wrote:

Does anybody know if the Loungebuddy credit is worth anything? I've never used it. (My home airport only has a Delta lounge, so I have a hard time thinking anything on Loungebuddy will be a big help there).

I've never used LB, but a quick search shows  a $39 fee to use the lounge at my home airport so the credit pays for 2 1/2 visits. The Hilton Surpass at $95 AF gives 10 priority pass visits a year. I'll either keep my fairly useless Classic Green at $59 AF (if they let me) or just cancel the card, I don't see the value in upgrading unless they will give some kind of upgrade SUB.

Scores: Feb 20: EX FICO8 787, TU FICO8 808, EQ FICO 793, TU V3 810, EQ V3 810
AoOA: closed: 35 years, open: 24 years; AAoA: 11.8 years; 1 30 day late in 2013
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Slate, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Prosper (20k/3yrs 7.14%), Lending Club (10k/3yrs 5.89%), Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 387 of 528
Highlighted

Assuming there's something to the leaked document it seems the 3x travel multiplier that I've always felt was missing is finally being added.

I can't say I understand the reasoning behind how they determine what card gets which multipliers, though. (Beyond the obvious, which is requiring people to get multiple cards w/ multiple annual fees, of course.)

There are people who this will work quite well for, but unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Message 388 of 528
Highlighted

worth sub, but on their naughty list Smiley Happy..  Not a bad card, but will stick with Gold as can use airlne credit pretty easily and value 4x food / 4x grocery

Message 389 of 528
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

(imho, Clear is a better credit than Platinum's Global Entry).

Just wondering why?   Because GE is available on so many other cards, or because Clear is more useful?  Clear doesn't seem to help with physical screening or customs, unless I am reading it wrong!

Message 390 of 528
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.