cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors about AMEX Green? (Now Live for New Apps)

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: {Rumor} AMEX Green Refresh.

I wonder if Amex will at some point try to make "limited edition retro" cards. Maybe encapsulate a 1958-style paper (Green?) card in hard clear plastic and attach an EMV chip.

Or issue Gold only in metal for a year or two, then reintroduce the "classic" plastic design that was only available from 1966-2018.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 61 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

I wonder if Amex will at some point try to make "limited edition retro" cards. Maybe encapsulate a 1958-style paper (Green?) card in hard clear plastic and attach an EMV chip.

Or issue Gold only in metal for a year or two, then reintroduce the "classic" plastic design that was only available from 1966-2018.

not sure those would have mass appeal.

Message 62 of 528
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Never underestimate the power of marketing and demand.  Sure, a great majority of the population would likely not flinch, but with the present audience? If something is innovative and catchy, people will flock.  Look how many individuals were tripping over the Rose Gold version. Potentially, if AmEx does some sort of retro with a mix of innovation, people will want it.

Message 63 of 528
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Never underestimate the power of marketing and demand.  Sure, a great majority of the population would likely not flinch, but with the present audience? If something is innovative and catchy, people will flock.  Look how many individuals were tripping over the Rose Gold version. Potentially, if AmEx does some sort of retro with a mix of innovation, people will want it.

People wanted Rose Gold because it was unusual.* But when everyone has one, what's cool might become an old-school card.

A 50-yo rebuilder may feel in with the more prosperous crowd that's had it since 1990. A member back when it meant something and all that rot. Unlike all these millenials who just joined and got their shiny metal with not much more than a pulse.

I'm not saying it's rational behavior, just possible human behavior.

*To clarify, I mean they wanted Rose over plain Gold and over a plastic card. The card in itself can be a very good value. I'm not saying people applied only because of the color.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 64 of 528
redpat
Senior Contributor

I have retro, PRG until 11/21 and old plastic plat until 5/20......No metal in my wallet.

Good for Amex doing something about a dead card.  Nice little revival for good old green.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 65 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the best perks of the metal platinum for me is that it acts as a great RFID shield for my other cards in the wallet. Almost anyone now can get a card reader and hover it over your wallet pocket, and pull a charge. Happened to a friend while riding a crowded bus in Brazil.
Message 66 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyv10usd+ wallet now has rfid shield.

I begin to wonder if Amex green's rumored amzn prime is just a one year deal...
Message 67 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

At first I was pretty intrigued by the possible inclusion of Amazon Prime, but a thought occurred to me. The card will likely have to be linked to the Prime account like the Prime Visa card currently is. I'm not sure how I feel about it now considering it would likely result in my Amazon Prime Visa being downgraded.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Message 68 of 528
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

At first I was pretty intrigued by the possible inclusion of Amazon Prime, but a thought occurred to me. The card will likely have to be linked to the Prime account like the Prime Visa card currently is. I'm not sure how I feel about it now considering it would likely result in my Amazon Prime Visa being downgraded.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Not sure what you mean.   The Chase Amazon card is Prime or not depending on whether your Amazon account is Prime.    I have it and lots of other cards linked in Amazon (e.g. TY, MR, and UR cards all show point values that I could use).   So why would it downgrade.

Message 69 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not sure what you mean.   The Chase Amazon card is Prime or not depending on whether your Amazon account is Prime.    I have it and lots of other cards linked in Amazon (e.g. TY, MR, and UR cards all show point values that I could use).   So why would it downgrade.

According to Amazon, it has to be linked to your Prime membership to remain a 5% card. Makes since considering that Chase has to have some way of knowing whether you have an active membership. It will be interesting to see if the Green card will do the same if the rumors are true.

From the Amazon FAQ

Your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card account will go back to earning 3%... if:

• Your Amazon.com account no longer has an eligible Prime membership.
  • You remove the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card from your Amazon.com account.
  • You close your Amazon.com account.
  • You link a different card account to your Prime membership.
  • You use your Amazon.com account to apply for another Amazon Rewards Signature Card; if you're approved for the new card account, it will earn 5% Back at Amazon.com instead.
  • You are no longer a member of an Amazon Household with an eligible Prime membership.
Message 70 of 528
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.