cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors about AMEX Green? (Now Live for New Apps)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

I saw an interesting point somewhere else about this card. The Green Card is being made out of recycled plastics and given a “eco conscious” marketing to go with it. Wouldn’t a gas multiplier be out of touch?
Message 311 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point. I doubt 4x on gas is that attractive anyway.

I'm going back to 2x MR on everything. lol
Message 312 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have doubts about 4x on gas. 2x on everything would be nice. BUT Amex hasn’t dipped their toes into rotating categories, so I’m curious if they’d do that. I guess we’ll find out soon enough
Message 313 of 528
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Someone on reddit made the comment that having 4X Gas on a reclaimed plastic card would earn AMEX a spot in a textbook 20 years from now about "out of touch capitalism", which was quite amusing.

Message 314 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they enjoy the AMEX offers things as a replacement for rotating categories since it is more targeted branding.

If it becomes a 2xMR card, it will get a place in my wallet.
Message 315 of 528
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@icednightpaper wrote:

Someone on reddit made the comment that having 4X Gas on a reclaimed plastic card would earn AMEX a spot in a textbook 20 years from now about "out of touch capitalism", which was quite amusing.

As someone who doesn't drive very far most days, the responsible thing for me to do is to keep driving my current reasonably-efficient gas car until I need to replace it. Manufacturing a new car certainly isn't pollution-free.

But what is kind of counter-productive is that by publicizing the move to recycled plastic, they're kind of encouraging early card replacements, then the responsible thing to do is to keep using the current one.

Admittedly, I have requested contactless replacement cards when contact chips were adequate. And I went to metal when I needed a new number on my Schwab Platinum (which had the same last 4 and expiration as another card, confusing my bill pay and "saved cards" on some websites).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 316 of 528
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before people jump on here and start freaking out as to why Amex hasn’t released the green card refresh today, just know that if we are basing the Away credit language as the sign of release date, then 90 days from 01/15/2020 is Thursday 10/17/2019
Message 317 of 528
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Before people jump on here and start freaking out as to why Amex hasn’t released the green card refresh today, just know that if we are basing the Away credit language as the sign of release date, then 90 days from 01/15/2020 is Thursday 10/17/2019

I thought about that as well but then I assumed it meant anyone that signs up by 1/15/2020 will get the offer for 90 days because people will be signing up the rest of the year.

Message 318 of 528
BH1985
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That would make sense. Both the Gold card relaunch and the Cash Magnet launch were on Thursdays if that means anything.

Message 319 of 528
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Admittedly, I have requested contactless replacement cards when contact chips were adequate. And I went to metal when I needed a new number on my Schwab Platinum (which had the same last 4 and expiration as another card, confusing my bill pay and "saved cards" on some websites).

I think for a situation like this specifically, it's quite alright to get replacements, as 4 digits can only have so many sequences and you don't exactly want to have multiple cards that are all 1234. As you found out, of course.

Message 320 of 528
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.