cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors about AMEX Green?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Mega Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?


@kdm31091 wrote:

@frogman1 wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

There’s no way they’re going to have a $125 AF. I would put it at $150-$175 if they include Prime. There’s no way Amex is going to just say “hey, get our card and we will give you Prime for free instead of making you find value in our points system” because people would get the card for the Prime benefit and use other cards for higher rewards payouts. 


I don't see how it would benefit you to get the card and pay $125 annual fee if the only benefit you wanted was Prime.  Prime membership is $119 a year.  You would be losing $6 a year doing this.  I am suprised so many people pay for Prime.  I had 5 months of free trials last year and it didn't seem to have much value.  


I would agree, with Prime's price hike I struggled to justify it. If I need an item quickly I will just cough up the money for expedited shipping. Otherwise I'm fine to just wait for standard, not worth $119 a year for me. So a Prime perk won't entice me, but could for others I suppose


If you do a lot of Whole Foods shopping, prime is worth a lot (additional 10% off any sale item and some deep discounts on some other items.   Unrelated to any credit card rewards).   A strange side effect of Amazon buying them!

Message 91 of 253
Valued Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

4x gas is good. But 3x on streaming? Meh it sounds good upon quick glance but how many streaming services do people really have? 1? 2? That's like 30-60MR points a month. Not a whole lot of value there.. I guess it will all come down to AF cost and what they do with Amazon Prime.

Message 92 of 253
Valued Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?


@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@frogman1 wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

There’s no way they’re going to have a $125 AF. I would put it at $150-$175 if they include Prime. There’s no way Amex is going to just say “hey, get our card and we will give you Prime for free instead of making you find value in our points system” because people would get the card for the Prime benefit and use other cards for higher rewards payouts. 


I don't see how it would benefit you to get the card and pay $125 annual fee if the only benefit you wanted was Prime.  Prime membership is $119 a year.  You would be losing $6 a year doing this.  I am suprised so many people pay for Prime.  I had 5 months of free trials last year and it didn't seem to have much value.  


I would agree, with Prime's price hike I struggled to justify it. If I need an item quickly I will just cough up the money for expedited shipping. Otherwise I'm fine to just wait for standard, not worth $119 a year for me. So a Prime perk won't entice me, but could for others I suppose


If you do a lot of Whole Foods shopping, prime is worth a lot (additional 10% off any sale item and some deep discounts on some other items.   Unrelated to any credit card rewards).   A strange side effect of Amazon buying them!



@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@frogman1 wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

There’s no way they’re going to have a $125 AF. I would put it at $150-$175 if they include Prime. There’s no way Amex is going to just say “hey, get our card and we will give you Prime for free instead of making you find value in our points system” because people would get the card for the Prime benefit and use other cards for higher rewards payouts. 


I don't see how it would benefit you to get the card and pay $125 annual fee if the only benefit you wanted was Prime.  Prime membership is $119 a year.  You would be losing $6 a year doing this.  I am suprised so many people pay for Prime.  I had 5 months of free trials last year and it didn't seem to have much value.  


I would agree, with Prime's price hike I struggled to justify it. If I need an item quickly I will just cough up the money for expedited shipping. Otherwise I'm fine to just wait for standard, not worth $119 a year for me. So a Prime perk won't entice me, but could for others I suppose


If you do a lot of Whole Foods shopping, prime is worth a lot (additional 10% off any sale item and some deep discounts on some other items.   Unrelated to any credit card rewards).   A strange side effect of Amazon buying them!


You aren't really saving money if you are shopping at whole foods.  Prices for same items are 20 to 40 percent higher over other grocery stores.  I don't understand why people pay for prime. You get free shipping from Amazon anyway.  If you need something quick most other stores offer free 2 days shipping with no membership needed.  I had 3 month free trail and a 2 month free trial of Prime in the last year. I ordered stuff from Amazon when I had prime.  When the free trial ended I just ordered from places that shipped faster.  If you in an emergency just have to have something and only Amazon has it pay the higher shipping cost.  Still will be less than $119 a year. 

More cards than I can mention in a signature.
Message 93 of 253
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

I'm right on the cusp about Prime, too. Honestly having a card that gives me 5% back there is what makes it right about an even proposition for me. You can get 3% without Prime, so you really need to spend about $6k a year to come out dead even.

The only thing that keeps me a Prime member right now that I actually watch the streaming service. There are some gems on there. In my mind it is a $10 a month streaming service I pay for along with some other perks. In the end it's all about even to me, not enough to stress over.



Message 94 of 253
Member

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

Amazon Prime would have to be included for me to get this card. I can't justify a $125 or so AF without it since I don't drive too much. Currently I use my Gold Card to buy gas station gift cards in the store. It's not too bad but I would like to just be able to drive up to a gas station and still get max MR points. I really enjoy Prime and the savings it brings. You can't beat Amazon on the combination of price, number of products, and fast shipping. Not to mention the movie streaming it comes with as well.

 

Gas and streaming is a weird combination for this card though. Streaming seems like it is sort of catered to the younger crowd, but the younger crowd would rather fly or take public transportation than drive (gas) everywhere. Will be interesting to see what the refresh really will bring.

Amex Gold / Amex BBP $2k / Delta Amex Gold $6.8k / Amex EveryDay $8k / Citi DoubleCash $5.2k / Citi Best Buy Visa $2k / Chase Freedom $3k / Chase Amazon Prime Visa $2k / Discover IT $2.2k / Capital One Quicksilver $3.5k / Wells Fargo Platinum Card $3.5k / Charlotte Metro Credit Union $5k
Message 95 of 253
Valued Contributor

Re: Rumors about AMEX Green?

TBH, gas seems meaningless with almost every other card having it as a category. IMO, they should try to pick a different one. 

I realize CCCs pick certain categories to compete with other CCCs, but with so many already offering gas, dining, shopping etc.

 

It would be nice to find a card with something more unique. However, I do get that those are  basic spends that most people have.

But more an more people are utilizing more of those odd categories, such as Streaming/TV/Cable, Wireless/Phone etc.

 

While my main motivator would be Prime, I cannot say that I'd app for Green if it only offered gas. Something I currently get on 4 other Cards.

Message 96 of 253
Regular Contributor

American Express Green

Anyone hearing rumours about an Amex green card refresh? It sure needs one lol, but i was reading somewhere, the source a bit questionable IMHO, they were looking at it to make it more attractive but I havent confirmed it yet.

























Think I am going to garden until at least March of 2020 as that is when 3 inquires will drop and all but one will be over a year old. At that point, I may do a hard pull for a line increase on my chase prime card or maybe go for a savor card assuming it is not offered to me as a promotional upgrade. By June of 2020, I will be apping for a Citibank personal line of credit and overdraft line to equal what I have at USBank, so I may just do nothing until then.
Message 97 of 253
Moderator

Re: American Express Green


@TwilightSymphonie wrote:

Anyone hearing rumours about an Amex green card refresh? It sure needs one lol, but i was reading somewhere, the source a bit questionable IMHO, they were looking at it to make it more attractive but I havent confirmed it yet.


There was a minor update on DoC yesterday, but nothing really new.

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-american-express-to-refresh-green-card-4x-on-gas-3x-on-streamin...

 

I'm inclined to think there's probably something to 4x MRs on gas, but the Amazon Prime benefit hasn't been mentioned again so that might not work out.  (This is just speculation, of course.)

Message 98 of 253
Regular Contributor

Re: American Express Green

At this point, the AMEX Green Card refresh is the Half Life 3 of the CC world lol

I could see 4X Gas. I would instantly get this card if a 2X on all purchases came with it though... but a Gold user can dream. Smiley Happy
Message 99 of 253
Established Contributor

Re: American Express Green


@Sage512MB wrote:
At this point, the AMEX Green Card refresh is the Half Life 3 of the CC world lol

I could see 4X Gas. I would instantly get this card if a 2X on all purchases came with it though... but a Gold user can dream. Smiley Happy

As high as Amex merchant exchange rates tend to be, I'm sure they could afford to throw a 2X card out, but they keep playing the "category" spend game.

Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($8K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Discover ($20.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($10K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($65K), Paypal credit ($6.5K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($10K)
Message 100 of 253
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.