Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU Flexpoints Bonus with credit card app

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

SDFCU Flexpoints Bonus with credit card app

Hi everyone I am going to Europe this summer and looking for a card with real chip and pin not signature and through search came upon this particular card with a sign up bonus until April 15 from the state department federal credit union. Does anyone know if this card is difficult to get. I will be applying for membership on Monday I am also curious if it will be a hard pull for applying for a savings account/ membership with this credit union. Any information will be helpful thanks

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: SDFCU Flexpoints Bonus with credit card app

I have it.  It is a great card, the best I have.  The rewards are great, the APR is 6.99%, it has a chip and pin.   One issue is that it usually defaults to requesting a signature if the terminal you use it on supports signature transactions as well.  I have complained about this with SDFCU, but they said if they changed the order to PIN first then signature that it would break for other customers in different countries (I am in UK).

It took me multiple trips to the branch office in Alexandria and a recon letter to get approved. 

They will HP for membership and for the credit card.  They pull Experian.

EDIT:  I just checked my Experian report and I only have 1 HP on there for SDFCU, so they must have pulled just once for both membership and the card, considering that I applied for both at the same time.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 10
tray
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I have it.  It is a great card, the best I have.  The rewards are great, the APR is 6.99%, it has a chip and pin.   One issue is that it usually defaults to requesting a signature if the terminal you use it on supports signature transactions as well.  I have complained about this with SDFCU, but they said if they changed the order to PIN first then signature that it would break for other customers in different countries (I am in UK).

It took me multiple trips to the branch office in Alexandria and a recon letter to get approved. 

They will HP for membership and for the credit card.  They pull Experian.

EDIT:  I just checked my Experian report and I only have 1 HP on there for SDFCU, so they must have pulled just once for both membership and the card, considering that I applied for both at the same time.

Thanks for the info very helpful, and the apr you have is very nice congrats better than one of those high end banks that Simmons etc, is offering, you say they pull ex my reports are clean except for ex with one paid co due to fall of in May I wonder if this will be an issue other than that I have good credit I quess what I plan is then to app for membership on Monday and hope no hard pull and app for card in May but will lose bonus offering Smiley Mad!!!!

Message 3 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I would app for membership and the card at the same time if you don't want 2 HPs and are trying for the bonus offer.  If you are not approved, write a good recon letter.  I did and it worked for me.  It might take a month to get this card, especially if you need to recon, so if you wait until May, you might not have it for your trip abroad.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 10
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

I have the card, also. I did not get a HP for opening a savings account.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 5 of 10
tray
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies, was the app for membership done online, I decided to try tonight but having issues applying online using american consumer council for membership,  with the online process starting out there is only a link to advance further stating for me to pick american consumer council as an employer not as a member as does someone get around this??? thanks for any information

Message 6 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I did the whole thing at the branch.  IIRC, I did not pay to join anything.  They even put $1 in my savings account for me, which I did not pay.  If you are having problems, you should call them. 

Message 7 of 10
johnpalley
Established Contributor

guys and you never had to prove income for a credit card or anything else they offer right?

Message 8 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I gave them 2 previous months of my LES (leave and earnings statement), which showed that I am who I say and I make a respectable amount of money, legally.  Many credit unions will ask for similar.  NFCU never asked me to prove anything though, which I thought was strange.  I may have sent them a scan of my military ID card though.

Message 9 of 10
johnpalley
Established Contributor

we'll there goes that lol thanks dave

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.