tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: SM - BT offers galore! - Umm NO!

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So my Barclay's SM card just sent me 4 checks 2 for one promo and 2 for another one...  To use for whatever I want and just got an email from them tonight as well!  I don't think so Barclay's.  I got my own cash.   We might need to talk after the holidays though.. JK Smiley Happy

Email I got as well, never received one of these before.. They are trying to get a BT fee off me, not!

um, no. You know my thoughts on this....I treat Barclays as if it were an Amex NPSL...lol...Always PIF before SM cuts to keep them happy, happy, happy!! LOL Smiley Wink

You all are way too paranoid.

are we? um..ok..sure....lol..Barclays doesnt take AA right away...they let you go for awhile thinking everythings just fine, then bam.....but, sure, we're all paranoid...

I would be glad to take a BT offer from Barclays, but I'm not getting one of their cards, so the honor falls to you, Pizza and CC, to poke the bear Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 38
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

So my Barclay's SM card just sent me 4 checks 2 for one promo and 2 for another one...  To use for whatever I want and just got an email from them tonight as well!  I don't think so Barclay's.  I got my own cash.   We might need to talk after the holidays though.. JK Smiley Happy

Email I got as well, never received one of these before.. They are trying to get a BT fee off me, not!

um, no. You know my thoughts on this....I treat Barclays as if it were an Amex NPSL...lol...Always PIF before SM cuts to keep them happy, happy, happy!! LOL Smiley Wink

You all are way too paranoid.

are we? um..ok..sure....lol..Barclays doesnt take AA right away...they let you go for awhile thinking everythings just fine, then bam.....but, sure, we're all paranoid...

I would be glad to take a BT offer from Barclays, but I'm not getting one of their cards, so the honor falls to you, Pizza and CC, to poke the bear Smiley Happy

No thank you.  barclays and I get along just fine with only using 2-4% on the CL, and then PIF before SM cuts.  They seem to like that, LOL.. Ill keep doing just that. hahah Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

SM.JPG

CC, I agree with  you. Too many things happening to people lately and it's not worth the risk. I noticed in my online account that both of my Barclay cards have a 0% balance transfer offer in there. No, thanks.

Message 23 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I've gotten 4 letters with bt checks from them within the past week for my aviator, and my arrival.
Message 24 of 38
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

I get these all the time as well for my Arrival.  For fun I did one just to see what would happen.  My thought is if they were to take any type of AA against me then fine, you can have your card back.  I just refuse to live in fear of a CCC taking action against me.  Too many fish in the sea, so to speak.  Just my 2cents.

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 25 of 38
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

I also believe the risk of Barclay AA is overstated in this forum.  All the AA stories I've read have included multiple risk factors, not just a recent BT.  And for every AA story that is on here, how many non-myfico-ers are out there happily using these checks, paying slightly more than the minimum and they and Barclays are both happy?

My Barclay BT experience

August 2015

BT $7K from my Aviator to my checking account out of $15.5K CL

September 2015

Opened a new Citi card (2 INQ)

CLI on my FIA (1 INQ)

CLI on my JCB (1 INQ)

BT $20K from a $20K CL on a CU card

Since then I've been paying $200 on the Barclays and $400 on the CU

Why I think I am safe from an AA at Barclays

- 802 TU FICO (but only 739 EX)

- Deep CR, mortgages, car loans, many cc's w perfect payment histories, 5 yr AAOA, 10% util

- Except for the Citi, no new cc's for a year

- Been w Barclays since 2013 with a good amount of use, and until the BT, always PIF

So, IME, you can be safe taking a Barclay's BT offer, as long as there is not a lot of other risk factors on your CR 

Message 26 of 38
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Silly.  I agree overall with you although my TU is not near as strong as yours and have ALOT of new accounts.  As alot of people on MF fit my profile as well... Rebuilding from past mistakes, similar scores to mine in the low 700's a few old baddies and alot of new accounts... Barclay's could be ok with this or they could freak out.  Prefer not to really test them personally.. Although I guess just for fun I could transfer my $250 Cap1 balance all I am carrying on 150k+ in credit to Barclay's to let them earn a bit of money off me and make that the one account that holds a balance for a few months as if they freak over $250 BT they aren't worth having Smiley Happy..  I have put 1500+ on my Barclay's card before on a purchase and PIF when statement cut and all was fine as I refuse to pay interest as this was not on a 0% apr thing.  Might try $250 though as that is all I owe!  I could write myself a check as well, but don't need the money either.  

So yes I agree people worry a bit to much on MF, but most of MF don't have flawless credit reports like yourself thus the hesitation by some.

Message 27 of 38
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

SM.JPG

Where is the 1%?  Took advantage of those!  Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 28 of 38
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@jace8602 wrote:

I'm not sure why many people are having issues with Barclays. Last year I opened the Barclay Rewards and took advantage of the 0% BT. I used 90% of the SL on the BT. I paid the minimum until 2 months ago when the BT promo expired and paid it off before the interest was charged. No issues at all, no account closure, or CLD. Either they are getting stricter or people are doing something that is spooking them.

Agree.  But I read that long thread on barclays soft pull cli, back when everyone knew not to get other accounts.  I will BT up to 20% of the limit, not as high as you, but I have not had a peep of trouble (knocking on wood).  Maybe it helps that I applied for cards just before they were axed?

Signature needs updating
Message 29 of 38
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Where is the 1%?  Took advantage of those!  Smiley Wink

They exists being 1% for Barclay's?  I am not worthy yet lol.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.