cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SO needs a new card

disdreamin
Established Contributor

SO needs a new card

I'm helping my SO search for a new credit card, the last card was closed a while back and I realized just today as we were contemplating a new vehicle that it's had an impact on the FICO score! I am eyeballing CSP but can't find anything on whether being an AU on my Chase cards would be an issue.

 

Suggestions for cards are welcome - this would likely be my SO's only credit card other than the ones that are AU. Also, info on whether Chase will complain if SO was AU on a CSP I held a while back and got a decent SUB for. I know there's something about how long between SUB for the same card, but I didn't see anything about it in on the Chase website and wanted to check whether AU versus primary made a difference anyways. Thank you for any advice/suggestions

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dragontears
Valued Contributor

Re: SO needs a new card


@disdreamin wrote:

I'm helping my SO search for a new credit card, the last card was closed a while back and I realized just today as we were contemplating a new vehicle that it's had an impact on the FICO score! I am eyeballing CSP but can't find anything on whether being an AU on my Chase cards would be an issue.

 

Suggestions for cards are welcome - this would likely be my SO's only credit card other than the ones that are AU. Also, info on whether Chase will complain if SO was AU on a CSP I held a while back and got a decent SUB for. I know there's something about how long between SUB for the same card, but I didn't see anything about it in on the Chase website and wanted to check whether AU versus primary made a difference anyways. Thank you for any advice/suggestions


To answer your question, no being an AU will not prevent her from getting the SUB on a new chase card.

 

The real question should be can she actually get approved for the CSP with no open primary cards of her own.

Scores hover around 800
Haven't been AZEO in over a year
Rome was not built in a day, neither is a good credit profile
Message 2 of 11
Remedios
Moderator

Re: SO needs a new card

She will not be approved without accounts of her own, Chase's internal algorithm will strip those while application is being processed. 

Chase doesn't treat CSP (or any of their cards) as starter cards. 

Then, there is also an issue of CSP having minimum SL of $5000.00

While they might bend somewhat if someone has a card close to that limit, they will not start anyone with it (with no open revolving accounts). 

 

Message 3 of 11
summerterrace
Contributor

Re: SO needs a new card

Recommend she apply for a Discover card, Capital One Venture or QuickSilver.  Those can be used for miles (travel) dependening on the variant or cash back.

Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier, Princess Cruises (Barclay's)

Last Card Opened January 2017
Message 4 of 11
disdreamin
Established Contributor

Re: SO needs a new card

Uh oh, well that's not good news, someone is going to be unhappy. I guess it's time to start small and work up. I wonder if it might be worth a trip to Chase to discuss with someone there perhaps, or would that just be a waste of time? SO was primary on a older Chase card but we were putting all the spend through mine so it was closed a few years ago. Since I pay the bills it was just easier for me to be primary (we have no joint accounts except mortgage).

Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator

Re: SO needs a new card


@disdreamin wrote:

Uh oh, well that's not good news, someone is going to be unhappy. I guess it's time to start small and work up. I wonder if it might be worth a trip to Chase to discuss with someone there perhaps, or would that just be a waste of time? SO was primary on a older Chase card but we were putting all the spend through mine so it was closed a few years ago. Since I pay the bills it was just easier for me to be primary (we have no joint accounts except mortgage).


Not sure what a banker could do if she doesn't have an active Chase customer profile, especially since she doesn't have any joint deposit accounts with you.

Message 6 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: SO needs a new card

I think SO will have to start small and work up.

With history of a closed card and mortgage, one can usually start without going the secured route

 

I would recommend a no annual fee, general spend as the first card. (Visa or MC)   No cost to keep open, a good emergency card, accepted almost everywhere.   The first card should be something one can keep for many years, rewards and benefits are for cards in a year or two.

 

Many in this forum will push Discover as ideal first card and that is OK if year two a Visa or MC follows.  My oldest daughter got a Citi Cash+ as her second card and your SO might qualify for that card.  Many also recommend for thin files the Capital One Venture or QuickSilver.

 

Good Luck

FNBO Cashback Visa (20k) / Bank-West Cashback MC (20k) / USAlliance 3% Visa (20k)
Two Old CU cards (20k each) -- (Sock Drawer) / Secret 3% MC (20k)
Ficos : 830 / AAoA : 9 yrs / AoOA : 24 Yrs / AoYA : 0
Message 7 of 11
SouthJamaica
Super Contributor

Re: SO needs a new card


@disdreamin wrote:

I'm helping my SO search for a new credit card, the last card was closed a while back and I realized just today as we were contemplating a new vehicle that it's had an impact on the FICO score! I am eyeballing CSP but can't find anything on whether being an AU on my Chase cards would be an issue.

 

Suggestions for cards are welcome - this would likely be my SO's only credit card other than the ones that are AU. Also, info on whether Chase will complain if SO was AU on a CSP I held a while back and got a decent SUB for. I know there's something about how long between SUB for the same card, but I didn't see anything about it in on the Chase website and wanted to check whether AU versus primary made a difference anyways. Thank you for any advice/suggestions


I would go for a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card.


Total revolving limits 663000 (585000 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 716 TU 747 EX 713

Message 8 of 11
disdreamin
Established Contributor

Re: SO needs a new card

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions! We opted to visit the credit union we've used for a while. I was first on our original accounts so SO opened a new account with me as second and then app'd for a Visa through the CU. Got a call a short while ago with the approval and SL of $25k which was a nice surprise. All in all, a successful day and perhaps before too long that CSP will be on the horizon

Message 9 of 11
disdreamin
Established Contributor

Re: SO needs a new card


@FinStar wrote:

@disdreamin wrote:

Uh oh, well that's not good news, someone is going to be unhappy. I guess it's time to start small and work up. I wonder if it might be worth a trip to Chase to discuss with someone there perhaps, or would that just be a waste of time? SO was primary on a older Chase card but we were putting all the spend through mine so it was closed a few years ago. Since I pay the bills it was just easier for me to be primary (we have no joint accounts except mortgage).


Not sure what a banker could do if she doesn't have an active Chase customer profile, especially since she doesn't have any joint deposit accounts with you.


I apologize I wasn't clear, we have joint bank accounts but not joint credit cards or loans other than the mortgage (I've done the last two auto loans in my name only since I was shopping for the new vehicles without SO there). Chase is one of the banks we have dealt with for a number of years, which is why I thought perhaps a branch visit might be worthwhile, just to discuss the circumstances and see if the banking relationship might help

 

Edited to add: SO also had a Chase card previously with a decade-plus of perfect payment history, it was closed a few years ago due to being SD'd though. Shouldn't have let that happen, I now regret not having made a point of encouraging SO to keep it active Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.