Open123
Super Contributor

Re: SPG 30K offer is back for limited time

@09Lexie wrote:
@scenery_guy

Congrats and thanks for the info!

+1

Congrats!  

30K SPG points is a great offer and will always come in extremely handy.  Thanks for the recon, which has helped me ponder in advance which of my revolvers I'll close.

Message 31 of 49
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Just got an email for the limited time 30K point SPG card. It's 10K after first purchase and 20K after $5K spend in 90 days six months. Offer goes live tomorrow (or so says the email) and expires 10/3/2013. 

I know Open123 has been waiting for this offer. Anyone else going for it? I'm not in the spot I need to be, just received three cards in the past 30 days. Yes, I know a new app for AmEx would be a SP if declined but my score was getting back to high 700's. I will ponder it for a while as I hold the business version. 

Anyway enjoy, it's a great everyday spend card and the points are great for airline transfers!

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 1.18.15 PM.png

Edited to correct the $5K spend period from 90 days to 6 months!

OMG, I just got app'd for CITI.. and now I want THIS!!!

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 32 of 49
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
@scenery_guy

Congrats and thanks for the info!

+1

Congrats!  

30K SPG points is a great offer and will always come in extremely handy.  Thanks for the recon, which has helped me ponder in advance which of my revolvers I'll close.

I can't believe I beat you to the jump. I read a post here earlier where a member says they have 5 revolvers with AmEx. Perhaps you are grandfathered or get lucky? I was not aware of that maximum in advance so it threw me off my game (that and telling me there was an issue). Good luck and keep us posted. 

I'm rethinking my spending thru the end of the year now. I have hit maximum return on both my Delta cards for MQM and mile bonuses for spends so there is no use in using them for the mile per dollar return. I will use them only to purchase tickets on Delta. I think I will try to hit $50K spend on my new SPG to pad my SPG account with points. I love the bonus points for airline transfer so 80K points can become 100K miles. I'm sure there is a yearly max I can redeem right? 

Message 33 of 49
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

If you are considering a new card and travel at all this might be the best all around card out there. The additional 5K points is a great offer and if you do travel it might be the best everyday spend card. 

+1

For non bonus spending and for those who value travel rewards, this is the best card to use, in my estimation.  The only downside is that it's much more difficult to acquire and harvest SPG points.

The only other downside I can think of is the foreign transaction fee.

+1. This is my biggest problem with the card, otherwise it'd be great.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I can't believe I beat you to the jump. I read a post here earlier where a member says they have 5 revolvers with AmEx. Perhaps you are grandfathered or get lucky? I was not aware of that maximum in advance so it threw me off my game (that and telling me there was an issue). Good luck and keep us posted. 

I'm rethinking my spending thru the end of the year now. I have hit maximum return on both my Delta cards for MQM and mile bonuses for spends so there is no use in using them for the mile per dollar return. I will use them only to purchase tickets on Delta. I think I will try to hit $50K spend on my new SPG to pad my SPG account with points. I love the bonus points for airline transfer so 80K points can become 100K miles. I'm sure there is a yearly max I can redeem right? 

Not sure, but I'll find out when I app.  If I run into the same issue, I'll just close the BCP to make room for this one.  I'll probably wait until mid week, to pass the 1 year mark on a series of inquiries, though I doubt it would make a difference once way, or the other.

You know, good question.  I'm not aware of a yearly max you can transfer.  Maybe it's unlimited?  Wouldn't suprise at all if there were no caps.

Message 35 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

If you are considering a new card and travel at all this might be the best all around card out there. The additional 5K points is a great offer and if you do travel it might be the best everyday spend card. 

+1

For non bonus spending and for those who value travel rewards, this is the best card to use, in my estimation.  The only downside is that it's much more difficult to acquire and harvest SPG points.

My single biggest complaint with Amex is their lack of no-forex fee cards.  Their Platinums being the only cards with the no-forex fee seems absurd to me.

Message 36 of 49
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 and CreditScholar that's a good point about forex fees. I don't travel abroad often and usually reach for the Platinum or an Ink card as it's mostly business related. I wonder if we might see AmEx make some moves to add the feature to several revolvers in the future? It would be a great addition to the SPG card for sure. 

I quickly looked at the SPG transfer page and it says:

"Starwood Preferred Guests can transfer up to 79,999 of their Starpoints® per transaction per program within a 24-hour period to the frequent flyer programs listed below.¹ Plus, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, Starwood will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints!This means that up to 94,999 Starpoints can be transferred into your frequent flyer account, with most airline partners, making a free flight that much closer.² Please keep in mind that only one airline transfer transaction per member, per airline program, is permitted within a 24-hour period." 

My plan was to move 80K points year end to an airline for travel next year and net 100K with bonuses (4x 20K at a time) but after reading that I feel inadequate as my yearly transfer would be the maximum for a single daily transfer. Sheesh. 

Message 37 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@scenery_guy wrote:

@Open123 and CreditScholar that's a good point about forex fees. I don't travel abroad often and usually reach for the Platinum or an Ink card as it's mostly business related. I wonder if we might see AmEx make some moves to add the feature to several revolvers in the future? It would be a great addition to the SPG card for sure. 

I quickly looked at the SPG transfer page and it says:

"Starwood Preferred Guests can transfer up to 79,999 of their Starpoints® per transaction per program within a 24-hour period to the frequent flyer programs listed below.¹ Plus, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, Starwood will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints!This means that up to 94,999 Starpoints can be transferred into your frequent flyer account, with most airline partners, making a free flight that much closer.² Please keep in mind that only one airline transfer transaction per member, per airline program, is permitted within a 24-hour period." 

My plan was to move 80K points year end to an airline for travel next year and net 100K with bonuses (4x 20K at a time) but after reading that I feel inadequate as my yearly transfer would be the maximum for a single daily transfer. Sheesh. 

Couldn't you move 20k one day, and then 60k points the next?

Message 38 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

+1

My single biggest complaint with Amex is their lack of no-forex fee cards.  Their Platinums being the only cards with the no-forex fee seems absurd to me.

In your experience, do other creditors have a higher percentage of cards without foreign transaction fees? Asking for information here. Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

In your experience, do other creditors have a higher percentage of cards without foreign transaction fees? Asking for information here. Smiley Happy

Of the top of my head, I can think of a few issuers with a higher percentage.

1.  Chase - far and away the most.

2.  Cap One - Ah, all of them.  

3.  Discover - Ah, all of them.

4.  Citi - TY Premier, Prestige, AA WM Elite, HHonors Reserve.

Both Barclay and BofA offer no FTF cards with no annual fees.  Some CUs, but unfortunately, my insights on them are limited, at best.

In my view, Amex's only no FTF option comes with a $450 annual fee seems a little out of touch with the marketplace.  At the very least, I think they ought to waive the FTF on the Gold cards to remain competitive with the CSP.

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.