Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG card coming up for renewal

tag
red259
Super Contributor

SPG card coming up for renewal

My Amex SPG is coming up for renewal. I don't really want to pay the AF and the limit is only 2k (I just got a 3x CLI on one of my other amex cards so this limit won't change for six months anyway) therefore I am thinking about just cancelling the card. Is there any PC options? I have the BCE & Amex Everyday, so I don't think I need another amex at this time. If I do cancel the card is there anything I need to do first? I still have all the points, but those are in my SPG account not with amex correct? Once the card is closed can I still transfer my SPG points to airlines or do I need to make that move before I close the card? Will Amex let me move the 2k over (I have been using the card recently). 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: SPG card coming up for renewal

@red259 wrote:

My Amex SPG is coming up for renewal. I don't really want to pay the AF and the limit is only 2k (I just got a 3x CLI on one of my other amex cards so this limit won't change for six months anyway) therefore I am thinking about just cancelling the card. Is there any PC options? I have the BCE & Amex Everyday, so I don't think I need another amex at this time. If I do cancel the card is there anything I need to do first? I still have all the points, but those are in my SPG account not with amex correct? Once the card is closed can I still transfer my SPG points to airlines or do I need to make that move before I close the card? Will Amex let me move the 2k over (I have been using the card recently). 

I believe you'll be able to PC to the no AF Hilton card. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

GL 

Message 3 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I believe you'll be able to PC to the no AF Hilton card. 

Is that a worthwhile move? I would be foregoing the signup bonus for the hilton card, but the bonus isn't that amazing anyway and I have the citi hilton card already so I don't see myself going for that card anyway. The positive would be it keeps the account open even though its only a 2k limit. I could in six months try for a 3x CLI which would give me total credit with amex of 38k, which may seem a bit more reasonable than trying to get a CLI on one of my larger limit cards. The card would just go into the SD.  

;
Message 4 of 25
onstar
Established Contributor

Amex Offers not worth the AF? Then your only non-AF option is the Amex Hilton HHonors. With a co-branded Amex, your options are typically limited to other co-branded cards. You can always chat them and ask which ones show up as a possibility.

Your SPG points that are in your SPG account are separate from Amex. You won't lose them.

My Amex History: I have 2 Amex cards. (1) I used to have a Amex Delta. After 1 year, I PC'd to the Amex Hilton HHonors. People say you have to wait 12 months before you can PC (so beginning with your 13th month). The AF should hit on your 13th statement, so if you PC right after the 12 month mark, you won't be hit with an AF. Even if it hits, I believe you have like 30 days to PC/cancel and get that refunded. I PC'd mine like 3 week past my anniversary date, which was about 1 week before my 13th statement date, and I never saw the AF hit my account. (2) I also have the Amex SPG. I've only had it for a few months, but I intend on keeping it indefinitely. I find Amex Offers to be very good. At the current pace, I can get about $100/year from each Amex cards, so Amex Offers easily cover the $65 AF. Yeah, it would have covered the Delta AF too, but $95 is a LOT for a card that I'm SD except using it for Amex Offers.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

If it's still backdated, I'd PC it if you can't justify the AF.

Message 6 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

If it's still backdated, I'd PC it if you can't justify the AF.

I believe the SPG and Delta can be Pc'ed or so I have read, but really no benefit.. Don't think you can PC it to anything else.. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but could of sworn I read this other times

Message 7 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@onstar wrote:

Amex Offers not worth the AF? Then your only non-AF option is the Amex Hilton HHonors. With a co-branded Amex, your options are typically limited to other co-branded cards. You can always chat them and ask which ones show up as a possibility.

Your SPG points that are in your SPG account are separate from Amex. You won't lose them.

My Amex History: I have 2 Amex cards. (1) I used to have a Amex Delta. After 1 year, I PC'd to the Amex Hilton HHonors. People say you have to wait 12 months before you can PC (so beginning with your 13th month). The AF should hit on your 13th statement, so if you PC right after the 12 month mark, you won't be hit with an AF. Even if it hits, I believe you have like 30 days to PC/cancel and get that refunded. I PC'd mine like 3 week past my anniversary date, which was about 1 week before my 13th statement date, and I never saw the AF hit my account. (2) I also have the Amex SPG. I've only had it for a few months, but I intend on keeping it indefinitely. I find Amex Offers to be very good. At the current pace, I can get about $100/year from each Amex cards, so Amex Offers easily cover the $65 AF. Yeah, it would have covered the Delta AF too, but $95 is a LOT for a card that I'm SD except using it for Amex Offers.

What are Amex Offers? Are those the discounts listed on my cards? Does the SPG have better offers than my amex everyday or BCE? I don't stay at starwoods properties that often and the earning rate with the card is lousy. I like the card for the ability to get more starpoints, but that is not reason enough for me to pay the AF, If I was using the properties more then it would be a different situation. If there are some other major benefits to the card I am all ears, but I don't have enough non-cat spend to accumulate a decent amount of starpoints. 

;
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@onstar wrote:

What are Amex Offers? Are those the discounts listed on my cards? Does the SPG have better offers than my amex everyday or BCE? I don't stay at starwoods properties that often and the earning rate with the card is lousy. I like the card for the ability to get more starpoints, but that is not reason enough for me to pay the AF, If I was using the properties more then it would be a different situation. If there are some other major benefits to the card I am all ears, but I don't have enough non-cat spend to accumulate a decent amount of starpoints. 

The return rate isn't all that lousy at all.

But as you said, You don't stay at Starwood properties much. I'd PC it to keep the backdate as AMEX new cards no longer backdate.

Message 9 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@onstar wrote:

The return rate isn't all that lousy at all.

But as you said, You don't stay at Starwood properties much. I'd PC it to keep the backdate as AMEX new cards no longer backdate.

Yes the points have a nice value to them, but you have to accumulate enough to use! I could see it being viable if I had a lot of spend to divert through the card. Right now the card only gets like $500 to 1k a month so its slow going. 

;
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.