Did you mean: 

SPG card coming up for renewal

tag
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: SPG card coming up for renewal

@red259 wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Amex Offers not worth the AF? Then your only non-AF option is the Amex Hilton HHonors. With a co-branded Amex, your options are typically limited to other co-branded cards. You can always chat them and ask which ones show up as a possibility.

Your SPG points that are in your SPG account are separate from Amex. You won't lose them.

My Amex History: I have 2 Amex cards. (1) I used to have a Amex Delta. After 1 year, I PC'd to the Amex Hilton HHonors. People say you have to wait 12 months before you can PC (so beginning with your 13th month). The AF should hit on your 13th statement, so if you PC right after the 12 month mark, you won't be hit with an AF. Even if it hits, I believe you have like 30 days to PC/cancel and get that refunded. I PC'd mine like 3 week past my anniversary date, which was about 1 week before my 13th statement date, and I never saw the AF hit my account. (2) I also have the Amex SPG. I've only had it for a few months, but I intend on keeping it indefinitely. I find Amex Offers to be very good. At the current pace, I can get about $100/year from each Amex cards, so Amex Offers easily cover the $65 AF. Yeah, it would have covered the Delta AF too, but $95 is a LOT for a card that I'm SD except using it for Amex Offers.

What are Amex Offers? Are those the discounts listed on my cards? Does the SPG have better offers than my amex everyday or BCE? I don't stay at starwoods properties that often and the earning rate with the card is lousy. I like the card for the ability to get more starpoints, but that is not reason enough for me to pay the AF, If I was using the properties more then it would be a different situation. If there are some other major benefits to the card I am all ears, but I don't have enough non-cat spend to accumulate a decent amount of starpoints.

Yes. The discounts available on the website. Each card has slightly different offers. Even if they're the same, having 3 cards gives you 3x the offer. Recently they had the $5 back when you spend $25 at the Chevron pump. I used it twice, once on my Amex SPG and once on my Amex Hilton. When they had $30 back on cell phone bills ($10 off $75, repeat usage up to 3x total), that was available only on one of my cards. Yeah, it's a little bit of a hassle to check the Offers and add them to your cards, but since I go online at least once a week anyway to check my account, it doesn't bother me one bit. Saving money is fun.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 11 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

I checked my offers and they look the same across my cards. That being said being able to use an offer multiple times (on different cards) is an interesting proposition. I don't see discounts I really need and I am not going to change my spending pattern to take advantage, but its possible something good could pop up in the future. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 25
IWOL
Established Contributor

You might want to try and see if you can get a retention offer from AMEX.

thry may give you a credit against the annual fee or some SPG points.

just call and tell them you no longer think the annual fee for the card is it worth it to you and your thinking about closing the card before the annual fee hits, are there any offers on your account.

They may not offer anything but it's worth a try.

Message 13 of 25
Repairman
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:
 I have the BCE & Amex Everyday, so I don't think I need another amex at this time. 
I wanted the SPG card for a long time, but like you, feel like it would be too slow for me earn the points, so sadly, I don't think I'm going to apply as planned...
I am curious, however, on your thoughts on the BCE & Amex Everyday cards, as I am considering getting one or both of those. Is there any particular reason you got or advantage you see to having BOTH of those cards? Are you happy with them?

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would move all points FIRST!

If interested there is the new Amex Plenti card, since it's new you may be able to PC.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If interested there is the new Amex Plenti card, since it's new you may be able to PC.

That'd be like trading a yacht for a lifeboat..

Message 16 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

You might want to try and see if you can get a retention offer from AMEX.

thry may give you a credit against the annual fee or some SPG points.

just call and tell them you no longer think the annual fee for the card is it worth it to you and your thinking about closing the card before the annual fee hits, are there any offers on your account.

They may not offer anything but it's worth a try.

Well if they waived the AF or gave me points that offset it I would definetly keep the card. It is worth a try I guess, but I am not sure how good Amex is with retention offers on the SPG. 

;
Message 17 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Repairman wrote:

@red259 wrote:
 I have the BCE & Amex Everyday, so I don't think I need another amex at this time. 
I wanted the SPG card for a long time, but like you, feel like it would be too slow for me earn the points, so sadly, I don't think I'm going to apply as planned...
I am curious, however, on your thoughts on the BCE & Amex Everyday cards, as I am considering getting one or both of those. Is there any particular reason you got or advantage you see to having BOTH of those cards? Are you happy with them?

The SPG can be worth it for the bonus in the first year at least. After that year then it will be worth it to some people but not to others, but I'm glad I got it for at least a year. In terms of the BCE & Amex Everyday cards I would not recommend having both. The only reason I have two is that I initially got the BCP and after a year downgraded to the BCE (and its in the SD). I got the BCP before the everyday card came out, otherwise I would have gone with the everyday card. I have been happy with both cards. The everyday card lets you earn MRs without an AF and gives me a bonus on grocery spend so I am very happy with it. I did not get the preferred version, because in doing the math my spend in the bonus categories for this year at least was not going to offset the AF (the first quarter had freedom getting my grocery spend). Also, I wasn't going to have enough small transactions with the preferred card, but I can hit 20 in some months. I definetly made the right call for me, but you should do the math and see if your spend may make the preferred card worth  it for you. In terms of everyday vs BCE it is just a matter of taste. One is for travel rewards and the other is for cash back.  

;
Message 18 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding is that the points are in a Starwoods account, so they don't go away with the card. If I want to transfer these points to an airline do I need to have the card active or it doesn't matter?

;
Message 19 of 25
IWOL
Established Contributor

Lots of reports of retention offers for SPG on FT. SPG Points are generally worth atleast 2.2 CPP but sometimes you can get alot more. To cover the value of the annual fee you need to get 3000 points or a statement credit to cover the annual fee. SPG Personal ---------------

9/12 - 3K points offered with no spending-rubu

9/14 - 7k points $110k annual spend

10/3/14 - 7k points $40k spend

10/6 - $50 statement credit (had $27k of YTD spend)

10/8/14 - 3K points or $25 with very little spend. Took points.

10/27/14 no offer except to close.

10/28/14 - 3K points to keep open ($24k spend)

1/15 - 7k points. This in addition to the 7k points I recived in Aug, so 14k points within 5months. Just asked.

1/27/15 - 7k points or $50 statement credit (~$30k spend)

2/8/15 - 7k points or $50 statement credit

2/10/15- 1k points + 500 if I charge $1000 in next month. Canceled.

2/11/15 - 7k points (~$60k spend)

2/15/15 - 3k points ($20k spend)

2/23/15 - 1K points + 500 if I charge $1000 in next month 2/24/15 - 7k points or $50 statement credit (~$90k spend) 3/6/15 - 3k points 3/12/15 - 3k points...yawn. Might cancel 3/16/15- 7k points or $100 statement credit (over $300K spend) 4/3/15 - 1.5k points or $50 statement credit (less than $2k spent YTD) 5/1/15 - no offer 5/2/15 - $100 statement credit or 7K points. ~50K spend. 5/4/15 - 3k points (>100k spend) 5/5/15 - $50 or 100 points with 1K points w/ $1K spend... lol no thx ($65K spent last year)

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.