cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPG points vs Hilton points for budget travel?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: SPG points vs Hilton points for budget travel?

Maximizing, maybe, but I am still quite scattered in the range of programs I have points in. And I also use two Cash+ cards and Discover. Points are great for specific redemptions but points only can be limiting in your choices of where to go   I look at points as a nice SUB, and I may be able to cover a large part of the costs of a specific trip, but cash paid out, or using earmarked cash from other card earnings is nice too. 

I have MR, UR, Marriott/SPG, Hilton, Delta, and American Airlines all with over 100,000 points each ( Hilton soon to be 500,000 good for one night somewhere Smiley Wink ) and I pay too much in annual fees. But I value the perks, and will eventually get value from the points, so I find value as I see it. As SUB lumps start to draw down, I plan to get a bit more focused, but that is also because I am learning what works for my travel goals. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 17
redpat
Senior Contributor

Points are all relative here, the value of Hilton points maybe lower but the ease of accumulating Hilton points is easier on per dollar spent.

Since the SPG merger I switched from Marriott to Hilton and I have been pretty happy.  I have Amex Plat and get gold status on both.  For Hilton stays with my no AF Hilton card I get 25 points per $ on stays.  In addition, I live in an area that has many Hilton dining program options and get 8 points per $ for free so if you tie that w/ Amex Gold w/ 4x and with MR point 20% bonus transfer you can get 17.60x per dollar spent on dining.  That is of course you want to convert gold card into a Hilton card for that dining.  Marriott doesn’t have a dining program.

We went to one of our favorite restaurants tonight spent $56 including tip and we will get 448 Hilton points.  We go at least once or twice a week.  We will avg about 6k of biz and personal dining for this program annually for 48k free Hilton points, way ahead of Marriott for no additional spend.  

When I travel for business or vacation we always look at AA and Hilton dining program options in the area then pair that with yelp or trip advisor to see if we want to go.  It’s hit or miss in some locations but we have gotten many miles and points over the years using these programs.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 17
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Hilton's ongoing 2x and 3x bonus right now is great too. I earned 11000 HH points for one night I paid $170 for. I have the HH Ascend so I have gold status and was upgraded to a deluxe suite with executive lounge access. 

[2/2019]
Message 13 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Update 2/9/19

Well I've figured out what the points are worth to me. In my case the only real use of either chain's points is stays at modestly priced hotels, so the "high end" travel benefits aren't of major concern.

The Hilton points always wind up being worth around 4/10 cent, and the SPG points appear to be worth around 3/10 of a cent.

Since Hilton points are worth about 33 1/3% more to me, they're easier to pick up (even the lowest return on non-bonus spending is 3 points per dollar, and most of my spend gets 6 points per dollar), and Hilton seems to provide a free full breakfast to each guest.... Hilton points are the winner for me.  In my case there's not much point in keeping my Amex SPG business card, since it would be preferable to concentrate on collecting Hilton points.

So my Amex SPG business card is now on the sock drawer/possible closure list.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 17
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Update 2/9/19

Well I've figured out what the points are worth to me. In my case the only real use of either chain's points is stays at modestly priced hotels, so the "high end" travel benefits aren't of major concern.

The Hilton points always wind up being worth around 4/10 cent, and the SPG points appear to be worth around 3/10 of a cent.

Since Hilton points are worth about 33 1/3% more to me, they're easier to pick up (even the lowest return on non-bonus spending is 3 points per dollar, and most of my spend gets 6 points per dollar), and Hilton seems to provide a free full breakfast to each guest.... Hilton points are the winner for me.  In my case there's not much point in keeping my Amex SPG business card, since it would be preferable to concentrate on collecting Hilton points.

Wish I would have read your summarization before I applies for SPG business AND completed the $5k--100k pt. SUB a couple of weeks ago. But I've earned them now and may as well use them--no turning back now! But wait a minute...there still the free night you get anually with the SPG--doesn't that account for something?

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 15 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Update 2/9/19

Wish I would have read your summarization before I applies for SPG business AND completed the $5k--100k pt. SUB a couple of weeks ago. But I've earned them now and may as well use them--no turning back now! But wait a minute...there still the free night you get anually with the SPG--doesn't that account for something?

Yes it does count for something. It would be worth around $112. Doesn't quite offset the $125 annual fee they are going to be charging.  And the $112 stay doesn't include the free breakfasts Hilton would provide.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Update 2/9/19

Yes it does count for something. It would be worth around $112. Doesn't quite offset the $125 annual fee they are going to be charging.  And the $112 stay doesn't include the free breakfasts Hilton would provide.

My recollection of the planned card changes only indicated the SPG business verision having an AF increase to $125 and the personal is to remain the same $95 with the first year waiver.  Certainly subject to change for future years though. 

The business version had a few changes but nothing significant to validate the increased fee in comparison to the personal in my opinion. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.