cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSI and credit cards

tag
MasafumiGotoh

SSI and credit cards

I have been lurking the forum for a month and I got a lot of good advice reading most of the threads. I opened a secure card to rebuild my credit last year with BoFA and it's almost the one year mark. I have never been late with my payments and my credit report is pretty clean except for 1 hard inquiry. I want to know what are the chances of being approved from other credit cards with very low income(SSI) if my credit scores are fair. I don't know my credit scores for sure because I haven't checked yet. But I will probably check my scores after my secured card is graduated.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Matt6995
Regular Contributor

Re: SSI and credit cards

If you have not already done this I would suggest getting a copy of your free annual credit report and see where you are at.

You will have a much better understanding of what is going on with your credit if you are able to look over your reports.

Message 2 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@MasafumiGotoh wrote:

I have been lurking the forum for a month and I got a lot of good advice reading most of the threads. I opened a secure card to rebuild my credit last year with BoFA and it's almost the one year mark. I have never been late with my payments and my credit report is pretty clean except for 1 hard inquiry. I want to know what are the chances of being approved from other credit cards with very low income(SSI) if my credit scores are fair. I don't know my credit scores for sure because I haven't checked yet. But I will probably check my scores after my secured card is graduated.

you can try contacting BofA to have them unsecure the card. 

make sure your reported balance is low and everything else is in good shape before you do that as well.

pull a free copy of your credit report at annualcreditreport.com.

MyFICO and a few sites have few trials as well that you can test it out just to see what scores you have and your report, and if you like the service, you can continue on with the subscription.

There's several cards that you can get approved for even with a low income, but chances are your credit limit will not be high. We could definitely try recommend you some after you know more about your scores and credit report.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

SSI is considered income....
What's your aaoa?
Util?
Most credit cards just require you to have $10,000 annually in income.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 12
MasafumiGotoh

Should I apply for a Score Watch trial or pay the $19.95 for my scores? I heard some horror stories of canceling Score Watch and I don't want it to be a hassle to cancel if I don't like it. My annual income is $7596 which is pretty damn low. My utilization is never above 30% and I don't know an accurate place to check aoaa.

Message 5 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

You can use credit karma and credit sesame. They are free. Don't pay attention to the scores they provide however
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 12
MasafumiGotoh

aoaa is 3 years

annual income is $7596

My util is less than 30%

Message 7 of 12
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

You can always calculate your own AAoA!

Just pull a report for free from annualcreditreport.com - add up all the months since all of your accounts were open, then divide by the number of accounts. Bam!

And I wouldn't pay for the credit scores, but that's my personal decision. I know that the most important things are to not be late, and not let a significant balance report. As long as I do both of those things, I figure my score is as good as I can get it. But if you want a score, the free trial was very easy to cancel by calling MyFICO's customer service phone number.

Feel free to apply for 1 attainable card now, or wait 6 more months and then go on a 3-4 card app spree. 12 months of clean revolving history is ideal to make things happen, but you can still accomplish your goals with only 6 months. Don't call BofA to unsecure as I believe that costs you an HP. I think those cards unsecure by themselves over time - someone correct me if I am wrong.

Are there any cards you want in particular? Perhaps we can help you figure out your chances.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 12
MasafumiGotoh

I really want to get a 0% apr  card for several purchases I want to make but I am not sure if I will get enough CL with my income. I would also like to have a credit card that grows over time. I am pretty sure I can PC my BoFA secured card to a rewards card once it graduates.

Message 9 of 12
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I would be VERY cautious with 0% purchases with your income level and source. Unless you have access to outside sources, you would be playing a very dangerous game by purchasing things you can't afford with cash.

It's in the signature of a forum member that 0% financing is where the devil lives. That is exactly how people get in trouble. The CC companies wouldn't offer 0% financing if it wasn't profitable to them, specifically by increasing your spending to levels at which you wouldn't normally spend, and by getting you to carry a balance past the 0% period. Believe me, the 0% is offered at the detriment of the customer, not for your benefit.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.