cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRATEGY BUSTED!!! Thanks Chase CSR!

tag
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

Re: STRATEGY BUSTED!!! Thanks Chase CSR!

FWIW, Amex CSR's will also tell you it's fine to close a card anytime you wish.  Which is true.  You CAN close a card anytime you wish. 

But if it's been less than 12 months since you opened it, you'll be on the naughty list for at least 7 years (re new SUBs and perhaps have the RAT team give you a special visit).  

But you can close an account anytime you wish.  You didn't sign a lease.  You can close it whenever you want.  But it's not without consequences.

I know you're not talking about closing your cards-just flip flopping every time you want lounge access.  But my point is in reference to the CSR who said that yes you can change.  Sure, you CAN.  But what are the consequences?  Is it really worth it for access to a crowded lounge that isn't covered by lounge buddy?  

Message 21 of 25
I_Love_Cards
Regular Contributor

And one other point.  It has taken a couple of months for the new annual fee to post when I upgraded.  I don't know how long you intend to stay at one card level or another, and I'm not sure if you have to wait for the AF to post before you can downgrade.  

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I posted on another thread, anyone on this one: tried to downgrade the Amex platinum to gold. They gave me a retention offer I had to accept. So I’m sticking with Platinum another year.
Message 23 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Since I posted on another thread, anyone on this one: tried to downgrade the Amex platinum to gold. They gave me a retention offer I had to accept. So I’m sticking with Platinum another year.

What was the offer? An instant statement credit? Extra MRs for a certain amount of 3-month spend?

I've actually not asked before on Platinum, as someone who uses the perks a lot and doesn't want it closed by a CSR unaware of the game or simply uninterested in playing it. But I might ask this year, seeing as I could always get another Platinum. I probably give Amex enough spend that I'd be eligible for a bonus on a regular (business or personal, just not schwab) Platinum.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 24 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Reviewed thread and thread will remain locked and posts have been removed.  Look for incoming PM's from yours truly.

--CC

myFICO Moderator

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.