Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Credit Union (California) membership and cash rewards credit card

tag
Neiltyson
Contributor

Safe Credit Union (California) membership and cash rewards credit card

I don't see many topics on Safe CU and the couple I do see are locked so I can't ask questions. 

They have an interesting card with 5% rotating categories plus 3% dining & groceries - https://www.safecu.org/personal/borrow-money/credit-cards/cash-rewards-credit-card/

Has anybody out of state joined through the Aerospace Museum membership? I just spoke with them on chat and they say you can. But the only data points from here say they got denied because they didn't live in CA even with aerospace membership. 

Screenshot_20201001-104944.jpg

She also said they pull Transunion for membership. And they will pull again when applying for cards. So no reuse apparently. 

I would like to confirm that info with anyone here who has joined recently out of state before wasting money on membership.. Cheers! 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Safe Credit Union (California) membership and cash rewards credit card

Following because I might be interested too.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Card looks interesting, with the unusual combination of selecting 5% from a rotating list.  Lots of unusual categories too.   Most interesting to me though, I don't see a cap mentioned on the 5% (or 3% for that matter).   Am I missing that?

Message 3 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm which out of state person is going to be the GP on this one?  Interesting card.  My TU could take it, whether chexs can take another one is another question

Another thread on it here person out of state applied back in 2018 and denied membership for being out of state.. As always things can change though..

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/SAFE-CU-Cash-rewards-5-amp-3/m-p/5246046

Message 4 of 22
Neiltyson
Contributor

@CreditCuriosity looks like this same person @Anonymous left the Data point I saw on doctorofcredit - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ca-only-safe-credit-union-cash-rewards-card-5-on-a-revolving-category-of-your-choice-3-on-gas-grocery-restaurants/#comment-771553

Another person there said it was soft pull + chex to join... So maybe the SafeCU person I chatted with didn't tell me correctly or stuff has changed since last year pre-pandemic . I might have to try myself 

Message 5 of 22
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Safe is a solid credit union, I joined back in May. It was a SP + chex. I'm building a relationship before going for the Cash Rewards card, but that's the main reason I joined. The rotating model is you pick one 5% category in addition to 3% gas, grocery, dining de facto. Will be a perfect compliment to a rotator setup.

I'm in CA and joined through the aerospace museum membership, but I remember they were particular about the membership being used in conjunction with local residency. I'm locally close to their service areas, but just out by one county over, so I'm not sure if that led to my membership approval, versus just needing to be in CA with the museum membership.

They also have a preferred money market account that gives 2.5% on 2K (need a balance of 2k though to have the monthly service fee waived).

Message 6 of 22
batsy71
Regular Contributor

Recently decided to apply for the Safe FCU Platinum Cash Rewards CC without being a member and my application got denied after 24 hours.

I never got a HP on all 3 bureaus. Interestingly in the credit application, with a question "Have you been a member of Safe FCU for atleast 1 year?" to which I replied no.

Wondering, if that led played any role in the rejection. Does anyone know if they have some weird rule preventing non members from applying fo this card?

Message 7 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@batsy71 wrote:

Recently decided to apply for the Safe FCU Platinum Cash Rewards CC without being a member and my application got denied after 24 hours.

I never got a HP on all 3 bureaus. Interestingly in the credit application, with a question "Have you been a member of Safe FCU for atleast 1 year?" to which I replied no.

Wondering, if that led played any role in the rejection. Does anyone know if they have some weird rule preventing non members from applying fo this card?

No clue but i dont think its weird to expect a person should be a member to get a credit card from them. After all it is a Credit UnionSmiley Wink

Message 8 of 22
batsy71
Regular Contributor

Well, I was expecting them to atleast make a credit decision and then invite for CU membership. Here looks like the rule is. Decline everyone who is not a member, regardless of credit score etc.

If that's how they wanna do it, maybe just have a blocker to prevent non members without an account login from applying, instead of making people go through the entire process just to blanket decline them.

Message 9 of 22
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@batsy71 wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. If that's something that will be influential even for members, I'll hold off until my membership reaches 1yr. I've got the cash rewards card in my sights. I think the rotating pick-one category hits a few uncommon spots in a cashback setup.

SafeCU CR Categories.jpg

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.