Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Mastercard

tag
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Mastercard

@TRC_WA wrote:

Waiting on my $6700 WMC to arrive...

$4500 SL and I moved my $2200 Apple CL over... and closed the Apple due to the fact it was worthless.  Smiley Happy

Sorry to go off topic, but did you call the Credit Analyst to do that (the one that's in the backdoor numbers)? I was thinking of doing the same with my Rewards MC. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 71 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my favorite card now.

Message 72 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay's doesn't like inquiries. More than 6 in a year is too many. They also, more than most CCC's, don't like credit hunters. So if you've been applying alot and you've gotten alot of new credit, don't expect to be approved. 

Not necessarily true. I got approved a couple days ago with 7 inquiries on my report. That said, I just realized (while posting this) that those 7 inquiries are over a 2 year period.

Also, someone said it earlier, but I wholeheartedly agree with them. Why does the SM card have to be so darn fugly?

Message 73 of 117
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

$4500 SL and I moved my $2200 Apple CL over... and closed the Apple due to the fact it was worthless.  Smiley Happy

Sorry to go off topic, but did you call the Credit Analyst to do that (the one that's in the backdoor numbers)? I was thinking of doing the same with my Rewards MC. 

Yes... after making the mistake of calling the number on the back of my Apple card first.  I got some foreign lady on the phone and speaking extremely slow I said "I'd like to transfer my limit from my Apple card to my new Sallie Mae card and then close the Apple card." She says "I need to put you on hold for a moment" then comes back about 90 seconds later "I'm sorry sir, but you need to apply for the Apple card."

Huh?  I'm like "Ok, thanks."  *click*

I then called the backdoor number and got a very nice English speaking CSR who took care of it inside of 2 minutes.

Hollabyte wrote: Also, someone said it earlier, but I wholeheartedly agree with them. Why does the SM card have to be so darn fugly?

That's one thing I've never cared about... what a card looks like.  I've never once had a female tell me "Oh my, that is a beautiful credit card you have sir"... and I've never scored due to the appearance of my CC's either.

Amazing that some people care what cards look like..  if I'm going out of my way to impress a woman trust me when I say the last thing on my list is flashing a credit card at her.  She probably cares less about what it looks like than I do...

FICO8 current as of : 2-25-24 EQ: 655 TU: 653 EX: 656
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Gold $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 74 of 117
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree that it shouldn't matter what the card looks like, but sometimes for whatever reason it does!  I wish all companies would allow card redesigns like Capital One does.

I have the Discover IT and I really didn't care for the default color. I got the "spruce" version and in real life it looks kind of blue-green to me, but better than the original color. At least Discover offers a few different color scheme options. My BJ's mastercard is also kind of tacky looking but no redesign offered Smiley Sad

Message 75 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

Amazing that some people care what cards look like..  if I'm going out of my way to impress a woman trust me when I say the last thing on my list is flashing a credit card at her.  She probably cares less about what it looks like than I do...

It's not the kind of thing that would affect any decisions I make. Nice designs are appreciated though, if only for the brief amount of satisfaction I would receive by glancing at it.

Message 76 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

I've never once had a female tell me "Oh my, that is a beautiful credit card you have sir"... and I've never scored due to the appearance of my CC's either.

You're missing out.  

It's not the end all be all of "scoring" but it certainly helps if you go to the same cute cashier girl enough timesSmiley Very Happy

Message 77 of 117
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I agree that it shouldn't matter what the card looks like, but sometimes for whatever reason it does!  I wish all companies would allow card redesigns like Capital One does.

I have the Discover IT and I really didn't care for the default color. I got the "spruce" version and in real life it looks kind of blue-green to me, but better than the original color. At least Discover offers a few different color scheme options. My BJ's mastercard is also kind of tacky looking but no redesign offered Smiley Sad

Yeah both my CapOne cards have custom designs... one has my dog and the other has a beautiful shot of Mt. St. Helens I took while on a hiking trip...

Discover card hasn't arrived yet.  Will be interesting to see what design I get.  I honestly don't care either way though.  Smiley Happy

FICO8 current as of : 2-25-24 EQ: 655 TU: 653 EX: 656
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Gold $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 78 of 117
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

Yes... after making the mistake of calling the number on the back of my Apple card first.  I got some foreign lady on the phone and speaking extremely slow I said "I'd like to transfer my limit from my Apple card to my new Sallie Mae card and then close the Apple card." She says "I need to put you on hold for a moment" then comes back about 90 seconds later "I'm sorry sir, but you need to apply for the Apple card."

Huh?  I'm like "Ok, thanks."  *click*

I then called the backdoor number and got a very nice English speaking CSR who took care of it inside of 2 minutes.

Hollabyte wrote: Also, someone said it earlier, but I wholeheartedly agree with them. Why does the SM card have to be so darn fugly?

That's one thing I've never cared about... what a card looks like.  I've never once had a female tell me "Oh my, that is a beautiful credit card you have sir"... and I've never scored due to the appearance of my CC's either.

lol Thanks for the information. I will have to call them (I have anxiety over calling, lol) 

I actually don't think the Sallie Mae card is as ugly as everyone else thinks it is. The blue in person is duller than the one I see in stock photos online. (And who cares?! 5% back at Target/Walmart/Amazon is amazing!)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 79 of 117
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont think its ugly just different than expected from online photos. Lighter blue and sparkly. With 5% back and no AF they could have added rainbows and polka dots for all I care Smiley Very Happy
Message 80 of 117
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.