cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae Rewards Mastercard - Platinum Upgrade to World [UPDATE - UPGRADE FAILED :(]

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae Rewards Mastercard - Platinum Upgrade to World [UPDATE - UPGRADE FAILED :(]

Hi. I was just recently approved for Sallie Mae Rewards for CL of 3800.

Perhaps because my limit was so low, I was only approved for Platinum Mastercard instead of World Mastercard

I'm somewhat bummed out about this. 

I was wondering if later in the future I can upgrade this card to World Mastercard

Also, does Barclay do auto CLI?

Thanks for your time! 

Thanks all for your responses. Unfortunately I won't get my WMC for awhile ;/

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae Rewards Mastercard - Platinum upgrade to world.

You can call underwriters from the backdoor numbers and ask for a CLI and an upgrade to the WMC the worst they can say is no. Barclays is normally good with recons. Be aware they may do a second HP.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Understand your desire for the Sallie Mae WMC. Same thing happened to me. They had me reapply after 32 days and then they moved the CL over to the new account. Also, when I called in they CLI me from $3300 to $10K which has been great. Took a second HP to do it through TU (no other inquiries on TU so I was OK with it - also my only MC with a great limit).

Message 3 of 8
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 4 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps because my limit was so low, I was only approved for Platinum Mastercard instead of World Mastercard

I was wondering if later in the future I can upgrade this card to World Mastercard

Thanks for your time! 

Actually that can be an advantage. Use the card alot and pay in full, then just shy of 6 months, apply for another card and you just might get that World version. Having one Platinum and one World card makes it easier to identify the two Sallie Mae cards. 

Its real handy having 2 Sallie mae cards.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 8
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your time! 

So far I've been told no on the World MC for both my Arrival and Sallie Mae.  I've called to have the Arrival PC'd over a dozen times and they refuse everytime.  I've had the card almost 2 years and its a no go even with a 5k limit.  Not sure why they refuse to do this...annoying to say the least. 

Message 6 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I thought Barclays were known for this, you stay with the card you got at issue time (regardless of any CLIs).

But in the case at least of the Sallie Mae, ALL the important benefits, i.e. the reason you get the card in the first place, are the same on both cards, same 5%, same caps, same categories.  The wish for a World is really marketing, if you have another World or Sig card, you really don't it on this card (and for me, you don't need them at all, but I understand that others differ!)  AFAIK, none of the world benefits apply to the special categories on this card, so no reason to use it for those.

Message 7 of 8
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I thought Barclays were known for this, you stay with the card you got at issue time (regardless of any CLIs).

But in the case at least of the Sallie Mae, ALL the important benefits, i.e. the reason you get the card in the first place, are the same on both cards, same 5%, same caps, same categories.  The wish for a World is really marketing, if you have another World or Sig card, you really don't it on this card (and for me, you don't need them at all, but I understand that others differ!)  AFAIK, none of the world benefits apply to the special categories on this card, so no reason to use it for those.

Thats a good point lurker.  I think for me its just the fact of having one, since I never have before.  Since it doesn't really add anything to the card its not a huge deal to me.  The Sallie card is incredible to begin with so I'm happy just to have it.  I've PC'd a few Barclay cards to different cards entirely....just thought going up to World would be easier...guess not so much. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.