09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Sallie Mae world MasterCard

Message 11 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
It's not illegal, just frowned upon by banks. Your best method is to charge different amounts each month as well so they don't see a pattern, especially transactions that is exactly 504.95 ($500 card + 4.95 fee)

I think there is still a difference of opinion on this.  They can detect excess spending very easily, they are not going through looking for 500+3.95 (VR) or 500+4.95 (GC).

If it exceeds your reasonable spending ability you might get flagged.  Keeping the monthly total under the CL seems reasonable, but no-one really knows if there is a safe or dangerous level.

But experience with other such things does seem to confirm that doing obvious "good" things, like doing some 1% spend, spending outside supermarkes/drug stores etc, actually doesn't help at all, banks are not that easy to distract.

Message 12 of 47
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@HankNY wrote:

Got approved for above card w CL of 6,200. I think they pull TU in NY.

Avg : 7.5 yrs

CK TU: 751

Utilitiy: 7%

The Sallie Mae MasterCard is issued by Barclays, so definitely TU.

Message 13 of 47
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@enharu wrote:
It's not illegal, just frowned upon by banks. Your best method is to charge different amounts each month as well so they don't see a pattern, especially transactions that is exactly 504.95 ($500 card + 4.95 fee)

I think there is still a difference of opinion on this.  They can detect excess spending very easily, they are not going through looking for 500+3.95 (VR) or 500+4.95 (GC).

If it exceeds your reasonable spending ability you might get flagged.  Keeping the monthly total under the CL seems reasonable, but no-one really knows if there is a safe or dangerous level.

But experience with other such things does seem to confirm that doing obvious "good" things, like doing some 1% spend, spending outside supermarkes/drug stores etc, actually doesn't help at all, banks are not that easy to distract.

im curious as to how they detect it too, but seeing how discover is able to tell how much cashover i took and how much the initial purchase was for, I am guessing it can be detected by the bank easily. if it's indeed so, then there's really nothing that can be done other than to avoid shady practices like these. but if one is to insist upon doing it, at least don't make it way too obvious.

Whether they do anything about it though is entirely up to them. Some banks would just close your accounts outright w/o even giving you a chance to explain.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 47
HankNY
Valued Member

Thank

ltl... My CL on Amex is 25k.  Amex is my go to card for non bonous category becaue of its High CL. Will keep you guys posted if they shut me down (hope not).
Message 15 of 47
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

I just got approved for this card with a $2.5k limit. I reISally like this card because of the reward they give you which is almost 10% I'm glad I got this card.
Message 16 of 47
enharu
Super Contributor

@kampfer09 wrote:
I just got approved for this card with a $2.5k limit. I reISally like this card because of the reward they give you which is almost 10% I'm glad I got this card.

did they give you a plat MC or a world MC?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 47
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

World MC....is there any difference between the two?
Message 18 of 47
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

I think they only offer WMC for this product.
Message 19 of 47
enharu
Super Contributor

world MC is usually for >5k CL.

When barclays give you a CL that is <5k, they usually give you the platinum MC instead.

sometimes the sign-up bonus, 0% APR intro period, or even rewards structure changes when you do not qualify for the version that they're advertising. 

there're different benefits for world MC. http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card-world.html

you can call barclays to find out or wait for the card to arrive.

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.