Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Club Consumer Credit Approval

tag
Nstark
Established Member

Sam's Club Consumer Credit Approval

This is my first time posting on these forums, but I thought this would be something worthy of posting to help others.

My background:

- Junior in college

-9K Deffered Student Loans

-Cap One Secured $225 Opened 8/11

-Cap One Journey Visa $750 Opened 11/11

-Citi Forward $1200 Opened 4/12

Had extra low utilization report this month. Ordered my TU Fico on 10/8 and it was 690.

Sam's Club has a $20 off promotion going on if you're approved for either their discover or consumer credit card instore during the month of October. I shop their quite a bit for business and personal purposes so I decided to give it a try yesterday.

I was a bit disappointed that I had to choose between one card or the other as I know at other GE backed retail stores they consider you first for the Discover or Mastercard then if you don't qualify they consider you for the private label card. Apparently that's not the case at Sam's Club. :/

I didn't think I would get approved for the Discover so I chose to apply for the regular consumer credit card. Just a few seconds later to my surprise, I was approved for that with an $1800 CL. I was shocked at the amount of the CL as it's my highest so far and from what I read GE usually starts out real low and then multiplies as the card gets older.

I wonder now if I would have been approved for the discover card since I got so high of a starting CL (well it's high to me being a student and only 20). Of course the person who ran the application through had to tell me, in her experience more people get approved for the discover than the regular card after I was approved. Either way i'm satisfied and still kind of shocked.

I'm glad to have my first GE card though. Hopefully they are as good to me as most of you.

Wallet: Sallie Mae World MC ($7K 10/31/13 - 5% Gas) | Chase Freedom ($3K - 5% Rotating) | Citi Student Forward ($2200 - 5X Food, Entertainment & Book Stores) | Sams Discover ($1750)

Drawer: Sams Consumer ($4.5K) | Capital One Student Journey ($1250) | Capital One Secured MC ($225)

Credit Start Date: 08/05/2011 Age: 21
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Sam's Club Consumer Credit Approval

@Nstark wrote:

This is my first time posting on these forums, but I thought this would be something worthy of posting to help others.

My background:

- Junior in college

-9K Deffered Student Loans

-Cap One Secured $225 Opened 8/11

-Cap One Journey Visa $750 Opened 11/11

-Citi Forward $1200 Opened 4/12

Had extra low utilization report this month. Ordered my TU Fico on 10/8 and it was 690.

Sam's Club has a $20 off promotion going on if you're approved for either their discover or consumer credit card instore during the month of October. I shop their quite a bit for business and personal purposes so I decided to give it a try yesterday.

I was a bit disappointed that I had to choose between one card or the other as I know at other GE backed retail stores they consider you first for the Discover or Mastercard then if you don't qualify they consider you for the private label card. Apparently that's not the case at Sam's Club. :/

I didn't think I would get approved for the Discover so I chose to apply for the regular consumer credit card. Just a few seconds later to my surprise, I was approved for that with an $1800 CL. I was shocked at the amount of the CL as it's my highest so far and from what I read GE usually starts out real low and then multiplies as the card gets older.

I wonder now if I would have been approved for the discover card since I got so high of a starting CL (well it's high to me being a student and only 20). Of course the person who ran the application through had to tell me, in her experience more people get approved for the discover than the regular card after I was approved. Either way i'm satisfied and still kind of shocked.

I'm glad to have my first GE card though. Hopefully they are as good to me as most of you.

Let me guess, an employee told you this when applying?? (EPIC FAIL)

I can't think of ANY reason why a bank would actually NOT want to try to give you a card that would allow you to use everywhere vs. just in 1 store if you have good credit!!

Since Sams does have an underwriting department that you can call directly into and usually get decent reps, I would call and tell them the issue that happened and if they can fix it or see if they say they could approve for it.

Message 2 of 3
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Re: Sam's Club Consumer Credit Approval

I applied onlinr and the application tried for the discover first and if that would not have worked out, they would see if I could get the store card. I was approved for the discover which surprised me. Call GE as the above poster said.....they are very nice to work with
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.