Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Club Discover vs. Discover More

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Sam's Club Discover vs. Discover More

I'm beginning to feel I have too many eggs in the Amex basket. I'm thinking of app'ing for a Discover. What are the differences between Sam's Club Discover and standard Discover?

I have two INQ's on EX (for the two Amex) and only one each on EQ or TU.

Scores shown below.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Geordi
Regular Contributor

Re: Sam's Club Discover vs. Discover More

@jaysdad2k wrote:

What are the differences between Sam's Club Discover and standard Discover?

I got the Sam's Business Discover about 5 months ago. Let me be frank, GEMB is difficult to get approved from and to get CLIs from, so if you are looking to get periodic increases over time, that will be a problem.

Initially, I was declined because they were unable to verify my identity (very common issues with GEMB).  I had to call no less than 3 times before I reached a credit analyst that was willing to manually verify my identity and approve me for the card.

Other than that, I have absolutely no issues with GEMB.  The card works anywhere that Discover is accepted.  Customer service reps were nice when I called in, but my issues were very minor.

Also, I have had a Sam's Club business account for over 10 years, but this was the first credit account that I have had with\thru Sam's Club.

Please keep in mind that GEMB is not typically a company that you should expect a lot of CLIs from.

I have Costco TrueEarning Amex Business and the Sam's Club Business Discover.  I don't hestitate to use my Sam's Discover anywhere, but I limit my use of the  TrueEarnings Amex to Costco stores. 

Even still, I carry a BoA Amex and Citi Amex to backup the Costco Amex because Amex will be Amex.  Thus, I don't leave home without a spare.

GL

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover usually pulls EX or TU and your scores look good there.

I do not have the Sam's Discover, so I can't help you with the comparrison. I do have the Discover More and I like it. They send out alot of BT and low APR promo's and the 5% cash back for the different catagories is nice. This quarter, it is for grocery stores,  restaurants, movie theater's/ rentals.

Message 2 of 11
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@jaysdad2k wrote:

I'm beginning to feel I have too many eggs in the Amex basket. I'm thinking of app'ing for a Discover. What are the differences between Sam's Club Discover and standard Discover?

I have two INQ's on EX (for the two Amex) and only one each on EQ or TU.

Scores shown below.

I have a Discover More card and it is excellent. I recommend either Discover More or Open Road card whichever suits you better. Sam's Discover is a co-branded card and would offer separate and different benefits from the cards offered directly by Discover Financial Services. I am not a Sam's member and don't know the details of their card offering.

Your scores are good for a card issued directly from DFS.

Message Edited by jmbfl on 10-14-2008 12:03 PM
Message 3 of 11
Established Contributor

@jaysdad2k wrote:

I'm thinking of app'ing for a Discover. What are the differences between Sam's Club Discover and standard Discover?

The main difference will be customer service.

Sam's Discover is issued by GEMB Smiley Mad I have not had the best experiences with that bunch. Even Sam's employees will tell you that GEMB is lousy when it comes to customer service.  Google >Sams GEMB Discover< for a broad range of feed back.

If you currently have a Sam's membership (store) credit card you are already dealing with GEMB. The only plus for getting a Sam's Discover is if you want to "upgrade" your Sam's membership credit card to a Discover. That is the only way many people can get a higher credit limit out of GEMB. A conversion supposedly allows one to keep his original (Sam's) credit history on a Discover branded (higher limit) credit card.

There is supposedly no hard credit pull for the upgrade to Discover. Even if one "upgrades to Discover" he is still stuck with dealing with GEMB.

If you already wave a GEMB Sam's card and want to limit inquires and new tradelines, Sam's Discover might be worth considering. Other than that consideration I would get a card directly from Discover. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 11
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I do not like GEMB either. I tried to upgrade my WalMart to Discover a while ago and was told to apply, because they rarely upgrade.

I am pleased with my Discover More. CL could be better of course, but BT offers, CS, web site and rewards much better than GEMB.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 5 of 11
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@jaysdad2k wrote:

What are the differences between Sam's Club Discover and standard Discover?

I got the Sam's Business Discover about 5 months ago. Let me be frank, GEMB is difficult to get approved from and to get CLIs from, so if you are looking to get periodic increases over time, that will be a problem.

Initially, I was declined because they were unable to verify my identity (very common issues with GEMB).  I had to call no less than 3 times before I reached a credit analyst that was willing to manually verify my identity and approve me for the card.

Other than that, I have absolutely no issues with GEMB.  The card works anywhere that Discover is accepted.  Customer service reps were nice when I called in, but my issues were very minor.

Also, I have had a Sam's Club business account for over 10 years, but this was the first credit account that I have had with\thru Sam's Club.

Please keep in mind that GEMB is not typically a company that you should expect a lot of CLIs from.

I have Costco TrueEarning Amex Business and the Sam's Club Business Discover.  I don't hestitate to use my Sam's Discover anywhere, but I limit my use of the  TrueEarnings Amex to Costco stores. 

Even still, I carry a BoA Amex and Citi Amex to backup the Costco Amex because Amex will be Amex.  Thus, I don't leave home without a spare.

GL

Message 6 of 11
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sam's Club Discover vs. Discover More - Discover More Instant Approval!

Thanks everyone!

I thought I had seen that Sam's Discover was GEMB. I have a PayPal Buyer Credit with GEMB and they CLI'ed me from $300 to a whopping $550 in almost a year and a half.

I tried the LowerMyBills.com link for instant approval credit cards. It said that LowerMyBills is an Experian company. So after I was "pre-qualified" I guessed that Discover would INQ their "home linked" CRA.

I have a BJ's Junny and a Costco TC Amex, so I thought maybe rounding out the accounts would be Sam's Discover.

But, this evening, I clicked through the LowerMyBills site, filled out the screens, and voila! Instant approval! Card to arrive shortly!

If Amex gets antsy over the new EX INQ then I'm just sorry.

I know I feel better now that I have a new credit basket with Discover.

4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 7 of 11
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Great, congrats.!

@jaysdad2k wrote:

Thanks everyone!

I thought I had seen that Sam's Discover was GEMB. I have a PayPal Buyer Credit with GEMB and they CLI'ed me from $300 to a whopping $550 in almost a year and a half.

I tried the LowerMyBills.com link for instant approval credit cards. It said that LowerMyBills is an Experian company. So after I was "pre-qualified" I guessed that Discover would INQ their "home linked" CRA.

I have a BJ's Junny and a Costco TC Amex, so I thought maybe rounding out the accounts would be Sam's Discover.

But, this evening, I clicked through the LowerMyBills site, filled out the screens, and voila! Instant approval! Card to arrive shortly!

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 8 of 11
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@jaysdad2k wrote:

Thanks everyone!

If I read this correctly you applied for your card through lowermybills.com. I don't see the Sam's Discover offered there, so did you app for and get a regular Discover card? If so please let us know what the give you for an opening CL and APR.

New card - Nice job!

Message 9 of 11
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

I got the regular Discover More. They list it on the Lowermy bills.com pre-qualified page as clear blue, and give only a few other card designs, so I took the clear blue.

The click-through took me to Discover Cards, and I got instant approval. My Creditkeeper has the EX INQ alert on it today. That was my hope since my EX is clean.

I should find out rate and CL in the next few days.

4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.