Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Club MC Vs. Chase AARP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sam's Club MC Vs. Chase AARP

Hi Guys!

I'm looking to narrow down my cards / close some to make it less complicated. Which cards do you prefer between these two cards: Chase AARP & Sam's Club MC

I feel like the Sams card trumps AARP in that it offers 5% on Gas and 3% on Travel and soon I heard that Sams will have no FTF. 

What do you guys think, close Chase AARP and get Sams Mc?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sam's Club MC Vs. Chase AARP

sams MC is far superior in my opinion. it'll grow more and it's a great everyday card
Message 2 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

This is a bit subjective, but I feel the Sam's Club MasterCard is superior myself.

You could get most of the same cash-back rewards if you combined the AARP card and the BoA AAA Visa, but with the Sam's Club MasterCard you get the benefits of both in a single card. 

There is an annual fee for the Sam's Club membership, but I easily offset that with occasional purchases at Sam's that I would be making anyway, with those items being cheaper at Sam's.

As others have mentioned, I find Synchrony easy to deal with as well, especially with CLIs.  Smiley Very Happy

Edited:  Changed to specify you'd still be missing the 5% off gas offered by the Sam's Club MasterCard.   The AAA only gives 2%, and the AARP only gives 3% cash back on gas purchases.

Message 3 of 37
baller4life
Super Contributor

Sams MC hands down! Best cash back card on market IMO! Gas,dining and travel all on one card!
Message 4 of 37
msbia
Established Contributor

I have closed my AARP card, but imo if you are the instant gratification type then AARP trumps Sam's because you don't get your rewards (cash back) once a year. Both are great cards, but I chose Sam's to keep for a myriad of different reasons. 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@msbia wrote:

I have closed my AARP card, but imo if you are the instant gratification type then AARP trumps Sam's because you don't get your rewards (cash back) once a year. Both are great cards, but I chose Sam's to keep for a myriad of different reasons. 

This might be a stupid question to ask, but do you need a Sam's Club membership account in order to have this card?

Message 6 of 37
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yes you need a membership. I believe it's $49 annually
Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

I think you need a membership to get the card but if your membership lapses you can still cash your rewards check in club and shop you'd just pay a surcharge.

So no, a membership is not required.

Message 8 of 37
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

I think you need a membership to get the card but if your membership lapses you can still cash your rewards check in club and shop you'd just pay a surcharge.

So no, a membership is not required.

Really? I never heard of this before?

Message 9 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

+1 to all of the above!  ^^^

I edited my post above to indicate that you also get 5% cash back off gas purchases with the Sam's Club MasterCard, compared to 2% cash back with the AAA Visa and 3% cash back with the AARP Visa.

I can't believe I almost overlooked one of the coolest perks of the card!  Smiley Surprised

The only possible draw-back (if you can call it that) is that you can only redeem your rewards once a year (in February), and you have to physically go to a club location to cash the check.  Neither of these is a problem for me, though.  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.