Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Club MC Vs. Chase AARP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sam's Club MC Vs. Chase AARP

oops maybe not " Cash back rewards are forfeited if the Sam’s Club MasterCard account is not in good standing, if the Sam’s Club Membership terminates or lapses, or if the Cash Back earned in a calendar year is less than $5.00."

This has been discussed before, maybe its the PLCC that stays open without membership.

Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Sams MC hands down! Best cash back card on market IMO! Gas,dining and travel all on one card!

+1 to both baller4 and UncleB. Sam's easily nails it and wins! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

This is a bit subjective, but I feel the Sam's Club MasterCard is superior myself.

You could get most of the same cash-back rewards if you combined the AARP card and the BoA AAA Visa, but with the Sam's Club MasterCard you get the benefits of both in a single card. 

There is an annual fee for the Sam's Club membership, but I easily offset that with occasional purchases at Sam's that I would be making anyway, with those items being cheaper at Sam's.

As others have mentioned, I find Synchrony easy to deal with as well, especially with CLIs.  Smiley Very Happy

Edited:  Changed to specify you'd still be missing the 5% off gas offered by the Sam's Club MasterCard.   The AAA only gives 2%, and the AARP only gives 3% cash back on gas purchases.

So say you open a Sam's Club account and then open a Mastercard, but then close your Sam's Club membership would you still be able to use the credit card and redeem the rewards? 

Message 13 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Make sure you run the numbers. If you're trying to weed out cards, do you really need to add another with an extra 1 percent gain over your double cash on a few things?

Not trying to talk you out of it per se, but if you want to simplify, you may not want to add another card with potentially small gain. An extra 1 percent may only be 50 bucks a year for example which may not be worth opening another account.
Message 14 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This is a bit subjective, but I feel the Sam's Club MasterCard is superior myself.

You could get most of the same cash-back rewards if you combined the AARP card and the BoA AAA Visa, but with the Sam's Club MasterCard you get the benefits of both in a single card. 

There is an annual fee for the Sam's Club membership, but I easily offset that with occasional purchases at Sam's that I would be making anyway, with those items being cheaper at Sam's.

As others have mentioned, I find Synchrony easy to deal with as well, especially with CLIs.  Smiley Very Happy

Edited:  Changed to specify you'd still be missing the 5% off gas offered by the Sam's Club MasterCard.   The AAA only gives 2%, and the AARP only gives 3% cash back on gas purchases.

So say you open a Sam's Club account and then open a Mastercard, but then close your Sam's Club membership would you still be able to use the credit card and redeem the rewards? 

There's actually some ambiguity there... the Sam's Credit web site actually supports both statements...

Exclusions to Issuance of Cash Back Checks

No Cash Back Checks will be issued, and you will forfeit any Cash Back rewards otherwise earned for a Reward Period if any of the following occurs:

• Your Card Account is not in good standing (i.e., is delinquent with more than two payments past due) when Cash Back Checks are issued;
  • The Cash Back amount earned is less than $5.00;
  • You are no longer a Sam's Club Member (either by you or by Sam's Club) as of the applicable issuance date for Cash Back Checks; or
  • Your Card Account is cancelled or closed on or before the issuance of the Cash Back Check.

But then it goes on to add:

Redeeming Cash Back Checks

You may only redeem your Cash Back Check at any U.S. or Puerto Rico Sam's Club. Cardholders who are no longer Members of Sam's Club after they receive their check may redeem their Cash Back Check by obtaining a one‐day pass at Sam's Club. You must present the Cash Back Check prior to its expiration in person at a Sam's Club with proper government issued photo identification.

These statements are within a few sentences of each other, so it's not exactly clear.  It doesn't make sense that they would tell you how to redeem your check without a membership, but then also state that you don't get a check unless you're a member.

I suspect it would likely be OK, but that they add the language to "CYA" if they decide to start enforcing it (thus the 'mixed signals'). 

My own membership comes due in August, and I will likely not immediately renew with the hopes that either Amex or Discover will have a promotion (like they did last fall). 

If I have any issues earning rewards during that time I'll be sure to let everybody know (I'll be the 'guinea pig'... LOL)  Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

There's actually some ambiguity there... the Sam's Credit web site actually supports both statements...

No Cash Back Checks will be issued, and you will forfeit any Cash Back rewards otherwise earned for a Reward Period if any of the following occurs:

• Your Card Account is not in good standing (i.e., is delinquent with more than two payments past due) when Cash Back Checks are issued;
  • You are no longer a Sam's Club Member (either by you or by Sam's Club) as of the applicable issuance date for Cash Back Checks; or
  • Your Card Account is cancelled or closed on or before the issuance of the Cash Back Check.

You may only redeem your Cash Back Check at any U.S. or Puerto Rico Sam's Club. Cardholders who are no longer Members of Sam's Club after they receive their check may redeem their Cash Back Check by obtaining a one‐day pass at Sam's Club. You must present the Cash Back Check prior to its expiration in person at a Sam's Club with proper government issued photo identification.

These statements are within a few sentences of each other, so it's not exactly clear.  It doesn't make sense that they would tell you how to redeem your check without a membership, but then also state that you don't get a check unless you're a member.

I suspect it would likely be OK, but that they add the language to "CYA" if they decide to start enforcing it (thus the 'mixed signals'). 

My own membership comes due in August, and I will likely not immediately renew with the hopes that either Amex or Discover will have a promotion (like they did last fall). 

If I have any issues earning rewards during that time I'll be sure to let everybody know (I'll be the 'guinea pig'... LOL)  Smiley Very Happy

Hmmmm. I would be interested to see what happens when you cancel the membership! Anyone that already knows this feel free to let us all know Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I think u and I can both make some calls and just compare answers. I would hate for you to lose your Sams MC uncleB!  For the best deals on sams memberships its best to get one with a friend and alternate each year. This way I've been able to always be a plus member and get a ton of freebies and pay next to nothing. I think we paid $37 for the plus membership with a gift card and free food and extra coupons.

I think the language is a little strange.  But all it takes is one phone call to attach a PLCC or a MC from a membership in your name, to a complimentary membership from someone else.  Just something to keep in mind!  You also earn an extra $10 per 500 spent.  I hate to call this an extra 2% bonus, only because you have to stay on top of how much you have spent, and it may or may not make sense at the end of the year to make an extra purchase to hit the next $10.

Anyway back to sams vs AARP, UMB Simply Rewards is nice as it offers 3% back or also Security Service for 3.3%

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

Message 17 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Hmmmm. I would be interested to see what happens when you cancel the membership! Anyone that already knows this feel free to let us all know Smiley Happy

+1

Upon reading the info again, I supposed they could be talking about the unlikely situation where someone is a member when the actual check is issued, then in the days after it is mailed their membership ends... but that seems like an exceptionally unique occurance to spend this much 'real estate' detailing out how it would be handled.

That being said, I suspect they are lenient since they tend to be with other things, such as the gas cash back.  They explicitly exclude Kroger from receiving the 5% cash back, but I've been earning it reliably at my own Kroger gas station. (This is just my speculation, though)

I'll be providing my own data points later in the year... I look forward to reading data points from others as well!  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

There is language within the terms and conditions of the actual credit card agreement that says you agree to maintain the Sam's membership for as long as you have the Mastercard. 

Message 19 of 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think u and I can both make some calls and just compare answers. I would hate for you to lose your Sams MC uncleB!  For the best deals on sams memberships its best to get one with a friend and alternate each year. This way I've been able to always be a plus member and get a ton of freebies and pay next to nothing. I think we paid $37 for the plus membership with a gift card and free food and extra coupons.

I think the language is a little strange.  But all it takes is one phone call to attach a PLCC or a MC from a membership in your name, to a complimentary membership from someone else.  Just something to keep in mind!  You also earn an extra $10 per 500 spent.  I hate to call this an extra 2% bonus, only because you have to stay on top of how much you have spent, and it may or may not make sense at the end of the year to make an extra purchase to hit the next $10.

Anyway back to sams vs AARP, UMB Simply Rewards is nice as it offers 3% back or also Security Service for 3.3%

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

+1

You're exactly right on all counts!  (Especially about it being a shame for me to lose my rewards!)  Smiley Tongue

My own local club has folks working the customer desk who are less than reliable, I'm afraid.  I had my brother added to my account, and I gave his name three times (it's a really simple name) and after the third time the woman looked at me like I was slightly 'off' and said, "yes, that's what I put".  I get home and not only find out I could have done it myself online, but after asking three times if his very simple (common) name was correct, she got it wrong (like, way wrong).  If I didn't know better, I would almost think it was intentional, but it's healthier for me to assume negligent action over sinister action. 

I'm comfortable letting it go for a month or so; if I see the rewards stop I can just quickly renew and no (major) harm will be done, and I'll have data points.  What I'm a bit more "iffy" about is a lapse during January/February... I'm not quite that brave.  My rewards for Aug 2015-Dec 2015 was $127; for the whole year it will easily be $300+, and as much as I like data points I'm not willing to risk that much money, even if I did end up with good info... I'd rather have good money!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.