Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

tag
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Re: Sam's Club doesn't accept Visa credit cards

Yeah sams accepts Discover and Mastercard credit cards and all debit cards. Just like costco only takes amex credit and all debit cards.  Naturally they both take their own store cards  Its been like thisfor a while now. 

I usually just use my wm card at sams and my amex at costco, easier since i dont use debit cards anymore.

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 50
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

Going to Sam's is what made me realize that almost all of our cards were VISA cards!  Strange.

wow,  my wife is mildly upset that all of our charge cards are MC and even though I just got 2x AMEX cards, our only Visa card is our debit card, which sucks because the Dollar store she loves only takes Visa. I think the only card I wouldn't mind me Apping right now would be any thing VISA. But I am in gardening mode, 4x TL's in the last 6 weeks, and  like 8x tradlines in the last 12 months. 

between the  2 of us 5x MC cards,  Walmart. Amazon, Tiger Direct, 6 other store cards, AMEX Zync, Blue not an VISA card in the bunch

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 32 of 50
psychic
Moderator Emeritus

Sam's Club does accept Visa credit cards for online purchases, made at SamsClub.com.

EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842
Message 33 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mrmagic9799 wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:
You can't use visa at Walmart or Sam's club because visa wouldn't give them a special lower interchange rate. You can only use discover or MasterCard at Walmart of Sam's club. Or you can use their store card.
Wal-Mart DOES take Visa...

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 34 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

Going to Sam's is what made me realize that almost all of our cards were VISA cards!  Strange.

I'm the total opposite. I have more MC than VISA,

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 35 of 50
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Lots of places are going away from accepting Visa credit cards. What's up with that?

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 36 of 50
CS800
Super Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

Lots of places are going away from accepting Visa credit cards. What's up with that?

I would think it would be AMEX since they charge more per transactions. However I have seen Discover picking up big time up here in the North East.

Message 37 of 50
john398
Senior Contributor

@teenastie wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

Isn't Chase Freedom a MasterCard?

Mine is a Visa

And I just checked my Freedom statement and I dont have any WM transaction on it. Not sure why I'm thinking I used a Visa there; maybe my Visa debit in which case it would make sense.

It is only considered Debit if you use your pin number. If you sign for your transactions then it is most assuredly a credit transaction.

Are you sure thats true still? I thought thats why we no longer get rewards on debit cards used as a credit transaction, I thought that there was some kine of law that said debit cards with or without PIN are charged merchant fees equally...I remmember Chase used to only give rewards for debit cards if the pin was not entered however seems like no one gives rewards anymore for debit cards used without PINs

Message 38 of 50
lithium78
Established Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

Mine is a Visa

And I just checked my Freedom statement and I dont have any WM transaction on it. Not sure why I'm thinking I used a Visa there; maybe my Visa debit in which case it would make sense.

It is only considered Debit if you use your pin number. If you sign for your transactions then it is most assuredly a credit transaction.

Are you sure thats true still? I thought thats why we no longer get rewards on debit cards used as a credit transaction, I thought that there was some kine of law that said debit cards with or without PIN are charged merchant fees equally...I remmember Chase used to only give rewards for debit cards if the pin was not entered however seems like no one gives rewards anymore for debit cards used without PINs

By federal law, the interchange fees charged for debit cards went from an average of 44 cents to only 12 cents per transaction (unless issued by a credit union.)  Due to that change, most commercial banks no longer offer debit card rewards programs.  (That's also the reason that BoA and other banks were exploring the idea of charging per month fees for using debit cards to make up for the lost revenue.)

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 50
john398
Senior Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

Mine is a Visa

By federal law, the interchange fees charged for debit cards went from an average of 44 cents to only 12 cents per transaction (unless issued by a credit union.)  Due to that change, most commercial banks no longer offer debit card rewards programs.  (That's also the reason that BoA and other banks were exploring the idea of charging per month fees for using debit cards to make up for the lost revenue.)

SO in effect the 12 cents does not matter if you use the pin or not on a debit card Visa

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.