Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Pay

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Samsung Pay

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Found out another cool feature today, my AMEX was hit with fraud last night, called up and they cancelled the number and are sending me a new one.  45 minutes later I got a notification that my Samsung Pay had been updated with new AMEX number already. 

I spent the holiday weekend in the Chicago area and used my S8 to pay at Meijer, Walgreens, Mobil (Through the Speedpass + app), KFC, Dunkin' Donuts.  

Potbelly is a sandwich shop, along the lines of Jersey Mike's or Firehouse.  

I had fraud on my Wells Fargo Propel back in August, and the rep said she was going to update Samsung Pay so that I could use new account right away.  Something went wrong, however, since later that day the account was removed from my phone altogether instead of being updated.  It wasn't a big deal since the replacement card was being overnighted, but I was hoping to see the process work.

I'm glad to hear that someone else was able to have their replacement card added by a bank automatically... thanks @EAJuggalo for sharing this data point!

Message 41 of 81
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Used it today at Target.  Cashier said it was the first time she had ever seen pay by phone work at Target.  

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 42 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Used it today at Target.  Cashier said it was the first time she had ever seen pay by phone work at Target.  

I used mine at Target several times the last few weeks with my Discover card... always in the new self-checkout, and it always worked like a charm.  Smiley Happy

I forgot to mention that for the first time I used it with a cashier at Wal-Mart; I needed a gift receipt and the self checkout can no longer do that (at one time it could).  It was late (early?) and the self checkout cashier who is usually there (and used to seeing me) rang me up on her terminal. 

I tried S.Pay a couple of times and it kept giving an error (I forget exactly what the PINpad said, but it was something I'm not used to seeing).  I remembered that on the self checkout terminals I always select 'credit' first (before running the card) so I asked the cashier if she could press 'credit' on her side; once she did I tried again and it worked. 

I'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle with a cashier who doesn't "know" me but at least in a pinch I know it can work with a cashier.

I've earned Platinum status each month since I got my phone, but after I earn enough points to get the $100 gift card I'm not sure if I will continue using it each and every time (especially at Wal-mart).  If Samsung continues to run occasional promos, though, that will likely keep me interested a bit longer.  Smiley Happy

Message 43 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The adventure continues...

I had my first "unexplainable" fail at WalMart today... I say unexplainable since I was using the self-checkout (which is normal for me) as well as my USAA Limitless Visa, which normally works like a charm.  There wasn't anybody waiting behind me so I was determined to keep trying until it worked (since in the past with determination it would eventually work) but today was a no-go.

I tried all the usual 'tricks', but no matter what I kept getting the 'card read' error from the PINpad.  After trying for a couple of minutes (!) I finally acquiesced and pulled out my physical card, which of course went right through. 

The irony here is that I was one purchase short of having enough Samsung Rewards points for the $100 Visa gift card.  Not to be outdone, my next stop was Subway for lunch, and while I had never used S. Pay there I wasn't concerned since they have 'Apple Pay' stickers on the terminal, so I knew I shouldn't have any problems (I've had great luck with S. Pay anywhere NFC payments are accepted).  But that would have been too easy... it took several tries - even the cashier was unsure of what the issue was - but it finally worked, and I got my final push over the 20k Samsung point threshold. 

I don't know if there's an issue with the recent software update to Samsung Pay or if today just wasn't my day, but in any case now that I have earned the $100 gift card I'll probably only use it at places where it's sure to work, and even then only when I have a reason.  At Publix it's actually faster than inserting my physical card, so I'll probably continue to use it there.

Once contactless via NFC is more widespread I believe mobile payments will take off.  Samsung Pay has done a great job of incorporating the Loop technology to 'make do' with the old tech used by so many American retail locations, but using a mobile phone to pay is still often more complex than simply inserting a card. 

At this point without promotions to serve as motivation there's still too much friction at the checkout for me to completely embrace using my mobile phone for all purchases.  I'll still use it from time-to-time (especially at Publix), but until/unless another promo comes out it will no longer be my default go-to payment method.

Message 44 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

i always take my case off, and for some reason, the mag strip does work better at one walmart vs doing nfc at the top of the terminal.

also my gear s3 frontier always works effortlessly at wallyworld/samsclub. 

devaluation sucks!

Message 45 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

i always take my case off, and for some reason, the mag strip does work better at one walmart vs doing nfc at the top of the terminal.

also my gear s3 frontier always works effortlessly at wallyworld/samsclub. 

devaluation sucks!

The problem I had the other day was at a self-checkout register I had never used before... since then I've been back and used one of the stations I "usually" use and it worked after a couple of errors (which is my usual Wal-Mart experience).

If I didn't know better, I would be tempted to suspect Wal-Mart has their PINpad set up to purposely discourage/frustrate Samsung Pay users... I've been to other merchants with the same Ingenico terminal and had no problems - it's just Wal-Mart.  Not to mention that at Wal-Mart any American Express (even non-Centurion) will decline on the first attempt using S. Pay, only to work when I try again.  (I don't mean 'error out', I mean an actual "Decline" message on the screen.) 

I never did figure out the issue with my Blispay and Samsung Pay... for some reason, each time I tried to use it the register (at more than one merchant) the PINpad tried to process it as debit, which of course didn't work.  I tried deleting the card, re-adding it, etc... no luck.  I know there's supposed to be a support line for technical help, but it's just too darn easy to pull out the plastic card and it didn't mean enough to me to waste yet more time fighting with it to work.

With the devaluation of Samsung Rewards Points now in place they'll have to definitely offer some promos to get me to use it as diligently as I have the last few months.  When I'm working towards a goal I'm willing to spend a few extra moments at the register and deal with the 'funny looks' from cashiers and bystanders but unless there's something more in it for me I'll likely go back to using my physical cards more, especially at merchants where S. Pay was unpredictable anyway.

Message 46 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not that huge of a devaluation I just got to more $10 Amazon gcs for using a Mastercard 3x ea. But if it gets devalues more then I'll use it less. Pairs well with wallaby. Hope all is well UB
Message 47 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not that huge of a devaluation I just got to more $10 Amazon gcs for using a Mastercard 3x ea. But if it gets devalues more then I'll use it less. Pairs well with wallaby. Hope all is well UB

Oh, I'll have to go look for that one... thanks for the heads-up!  Smiley Happy

For me the non-promo 'Samsung Rewards' deval was quite severe:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/samsung-pay-cut-rewards-earnings-half/

I haven't deleted any of my cards from it, though, and I don't plan to... if nothing else Samsung Pay will make it easier to use cards that are in the SD (without having to physically removed them from the actual SD).

Hope you're doing well, @Anonymous... good to see you again!  wavey_zps81xnuobx.gif

Message 48 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I have an update... I've used Samsung Pay at the Wells Fargo ATM a few times now, and it works like a charm - it's actually one of the few times that using S.Pay is actually faster than using the plastic card (and there's no concern about skimmers).

That said, I thought I would get smart and add my USAA debit card to S.Pay and use it at the Wells Fargo ATM, but no dice.  As soon as the ATM does the read it gives an error screen that states only Wells Fargo cards are eligible to be used 'cardless', and to insert the physical card.  Smiley Frustrated  FWIW, from what I've read it's the same at BoA.

It could be worse; if they wanted to they could restrict NFC to their own wonky app... thankfully they didn't go that route, and Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Android Pay are all accepted (as well as their own WF Wallet).

With that said, I'll be removing my USAA debit card from S.Pay, since ATM transactions are all it's good for.  I now have a free spot... I might consider trying Blispay again. 

I previously had Blispay added but it would never work.  The PINpad always read it as a debit card and prompted for a PIN - I even tried deleting it and re-adding, but I continued to have the same problem (and at multiple stores).  Samsung Pay has been updated a couple of times since then, however, so maybe the glitch is resolved.

Message 49 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out the 5pct cash back at Walmart and other New deals! 

Message 50 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.