Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Pay

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Samsung Pay

@Anonymous wrote:

Check out the 5pct cash back at Walmart and other New deals! 

I'm on it!  Smiley Very Happy

Be sure to check out the $5 deal for linking Paypal as well... got that one a few days ago.  Smiley Wink

Message 51 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
I wanted to try it 2 years ago but it won't let you pay on a rooted device, and i can't stand stock Samsung Android so I've never been able to use it.

Might try on my next phone before rooting it but for now real cards remain my only option.

Yeah, there were a few things I really didn't like about the Samsung software.

The second day I had the new phone I installed the Google dialer and messages... the Samsung version was OK I guess but I was already used to Google's version and there was no good reason to change.

With those two changes I've got things back to "normal" enough to manage - the other stuff is mostly under the hood for me so I can work around it.  I was thankful to find instructions on switching the buttons in the nav bar around to match what I was used to... I have no idea why Samsung chose to change that.

Samsung Pay is cool, though... no complaints so far, although I would never rely on it completely - you'll have to pry my plastic cards from my cold, dead hand.

Hmm ... things can be arranged Smiley Wink

Message 52 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

I previously had Blispay added but it would never work.  The PINpad always read it as a debit card and prompted for a PIN - I even tried deleting it and re-adding, but I continued to have the same problem (and at multiple stores).  Samsung Pay has been updated a couple of times since then, however, so maybe the glitch is resolved.

Update to this...

I re-added Blispay to see if the problem I was having might have been corrected by a software update (there have been at least two that I'm aware of) and I was able to use it to pay for an Amazon GC within the Samsung Pay app.  Finally getting somewhere!

Now the real test would be at a physical register.  I decided to try it at Kroger since I've always had flawless Samsung Pay experiences there (and the cashiers know me and would be patient with my 'test')... it worked like a charm!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm not sure if the Samsung Pay/Blispay issue was just me or impacting others as well, but in any case it's working now.  I'm actually pleased about this, since I usually don't carry the Blispay (physical) card with me, but now I can use it via my phone "in a pinch".

Also, I tried to add my Synchrony CareCredit MasterCard, but no joy with that one.  It's odd that Synchrony claims to support Samsung Pay with some cards, but neither of the cards I have are compatible.  Maybe eventually they will be.

Message 53 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Bumping this thread for an update on using Samsung Pay with Ebates/Rakuten in-store offers...

When I first got Samsung Pay, I tried to trigger an Ebates in-store offer for a registered card, but it didn't track.  Honestly I wasn't too surprised, since the card number used by S. Pay is different from the card number registered with Ebates (now Rakuten).  I never tried it again, since each trial meant lost money, however meager.

I admit I 'cooled off' a bit with using Samsung Pay once Samsung nerfed their rewards program, and with many physical cards having NFC 'tap' now there was little reason to bother.  That changed a few months back when I got the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve, which has a 3x multiplier for all mobile payments... now I'm tapping with my phone again. Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, I decided to give the Ebates/Rakuten in-store offers another try and this time it tracked, much to my pleasant surprise.  Last time when I 'tested' I used an Amex, so I don't know if there was an Amex-specific issue, or perhaps it was just a fluke and had I tried again it would have worked.  In any case, it has been working consistently with the Altitude Reserve; I've now had five transactions to track successfully (100% success rate). The stores I've tested have been Macy's (two times), Bed Bath & Beyond (two times) and JCPenney (one time).

Most of my transactions are small and this time of year the rate is usually only 2% (+/-), but during the holidays Ebates/Rakuten often runs promotions and the rate can go as high as 10% (or higher) - and this is in addition to credit card cash back/points.

For those who need to "see it to believe it," here are the notifications for a small purchase I made today:

SamPayRakuten.png

TL;DR:  If you use Ebates for in-store offers, be sure to link your card even if you are using Samsung Pay. Smiley Happy

Message 54 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice that you're able to utilize it once again. I've used S.Pay on a few purchases that were running the 5% deal, but as of yet hadn't seen the savings from it. Hence i often forget about going the S.Pay/Ebates route, and just go through Ebates. 

Message 55 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice that you're able to utilize it once again. I've used S.Pay on a few purchases that were running the 5% deal, but as of yet hadn't seen the savings from it. Hence i often forget about going the S.Pay/Ebates route, and just go through Ebates. 

What I mentioned above is specific to Ebates in-store offers... you don't even have to use the portal.  Smiley Happy

Just make sure your credit card(s) is registered with the Ebates app and the savings is automatic once you link the offers (and will stack with CC rewards).

Side note:  Be sure to re-link anytime you use one of the in-store offers, or if the offer changes.  I usually do a quick check in the app before making a mall run to be sure my offers are all still linked. Smiley Wink

Message 56 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I received an email from Synchrony that the CareCredit MasterCard is now eligible for Samsung Pay!

I don't anticipate using it that way often, but I have some open slots so I went ahead and added it.  I was slightly annoyed that it required a phone call (like U.S. Bank) but I was pleased that it was relatively painless (took approx. four minutes from beginning to end), and I got the S. Pay notification of the addition before I even hung up the phone.

Now if they'll only hurry up and add the Sam's Club MasterCard!  Smiley Frustrated

CareCreditSamsung.png

Message 57 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Those who use Walmart Grocery might be interested to know there's an offer right now within Samsung Pay for either $8 or $3 (or in my case, both).

More info from DoC here:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-samsung-pay-make-a-walmart-grocery-purchase-get-8-back/ 

I used the $8 offer last week, and when I did my pickup I initially panicked when I realized they were out of a few things and I was below the $30 minimum order.  Then I realized that the Samsung Promo didn't specify an amount, so all should be good.  Smiley Happy

Hours later I got the notification to expect the cash back, but of course it will be a couple of months before it's actually credited (Samsung Cash Back is notoriously slow...).  My offers expire on October 31.

I plan to use the $3 offer on my order next week.  Hopefully this will be helpful to some!

Not bad for an order that ended up being $24Not bad for an order that ended up being $24

Message 58 of 81
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

I use Samsung Pay almost everywhere, except Walmart which doesn't like to accept any NFC payment other than their own Walmart Pay 😂
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 59 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CashBackQueen wrote:
I use Samsung Pay almost everywhere, except Walmart which doesn't like to accept any NFC payment other than their own Walmart Pay 😂

Yeah, Walmart has NFC turned off on their Ingenico PIN pads, but Samsung Pay will still work.  I actually used it there just a little while ago:

WMSamsungPay.png

I tend to use the self-checkout, so if it takes a re-try it's no big deal.  That said, I've found a couple of self-checkout stations where Samsung Pay usually works on the first try so I try to get those if I can.  There's also one that never works on the first try, so I actively avoid that one (LOL).

FWIW, same for Sam's Club... it works there, too, but I've found some registers are easier than others (for some reason).  At my Sam's the next-to-last self-checkout so far has always worked on the first try.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(It would be so much easier if they would just turn on the darn NFC.)

Message 60 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.