Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Pay

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Samsung Pay

For anybody who has the Boxed.com offer on Amex and hasn't used it yet (only a week left!) be sure to check Samsung Pay to see if you have an elevated deal... mine was 16%.  Smiley Surprised

SamsungBoxed.png

I used a 15% promo for being a first-time user, but the cash back pending with Samsung Pay is for the before-discount amount.  I have no idea if that will 'stick', but I'll be happy either way.  Smiley Happy

I was primarily concerned with triggering the $20 Amex Offer (which I did) but if everything happens to stack I'll be especially pleased.

Note:  The Boxed.com offer within Samsung Pay is now showing 2.5% for me, so the higher amount is apparently a one-and-done deal (i.e. if you have it and intend to place more than one order, be sure to place your largest order first).

Message 61 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

For those with Samsung Pay who will be doing shopping today or Monday be sure to check the 'Cash Back Awards' within the app.  It works like a portal (i.e. like Ebates/Rakuten or TCB) and right now there are some significant offers.

I just used a 20% offer on JCPenny for the second time (it didn't go away after the first use).  The first time is tracking correctly so far and I'll update later if/when my second order tracks successfully.

Also, there's an offer for Walmart Grocery, $15 off any order.  Like the JCPenney offer I can already see my purchase from a few days ago tracking, and so far it seems to be available for another use.  I consider $15 back from a $31 purchase to be pretty good. Smiley Happy

The only drawback to Samsung Pay Cash Back Awards is that they take forever to pay out - as in, sometimes up to two or three months - but so far all my purchases have tracked as expected without fail.  I don't mind the wait when the percentage is significantly higher than Rakuten and TCB.

WMSamsungPay2.png

JCPenneySPayOffer.png

Message 62 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

I just used a 20% offer on JCPenny for the second time (it didn't go away after the first use).  The first time is tracking correctly so far and I'll update later if/when my second order tracks successfully.

Well, that didn't take long:

JCPenneySPayOffer2.png

Not bad for a $42 purchase.  Smiley Happy

Message 63 of 81
Mv350
Valued Contributor

I just recently started using samsung pay, mainly because I do not carry all of my cards with me anymore. 

I definitely need to start taking advantage of the cashback offers.

Message 64 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Giving this a bump, since most of my Samsung Pay cash rewards have finally posted.  It takes a while - around three months or so - but so far everything has tracked as promised. Smiley Happy

I've actually earned more cash back with Samsung Pay over the last year than I have with several of my rewards credit cards. 

I admit my own numbers are somewhat skewed by the generous $15 offer for using Walmart Grocery that was available back in the winter (which could be used over and over) and that's not likely to come around again, but hopefully there will be other lucrative offers in the future.

The last time I cashed-out was May 2019, so my current total is for almost exactly one year:

Screenshot_20200512-213509_Samsung Pay.jpg

Message 65 of 81
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Giving this a bump, since most of my Samsung Pay cash rewards have finally posted.  It takes a while - around three months or so - but so far everything has tracked as promised. Smiley Happy

I've actually earned more cash back with Samsung Pay over the last year than I have with several of my rewards credit cards. 

I admit my own numbers are somewhat skewed by the generous $15 offer for using Walmart Grocery that was available back in the winter (which could be used over and over) and that's not likely to come around again, but hopefully there will be other lucrative offers in the future.

The last time I cashed-out was May 2019, so my current total is for almost exactly one year:

Screenshot_20200512-213509_Samsung Pay.jpg

Baller over there! 😎

Message 66 of 81
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I switched to an iphone a few months ago but when I had a Samsung I don't think I ever accumulated more than $2 or $3, mostly from Uber. My rewards would expire worthless before I could ever redeem them. I had no idea it had good offers like that.

Though I don't think my nearest Walmart codes as grocery, anyway.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 67 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I switched to an iphone a few months ago but when I had a Samsung I don't think I ever accumulated more than $2 or $3, mostly from Uber. My rewards would expire worthless before I could ever redeem them. I had no idea it had good offers like that.

Though I don't think my nearest Walmart codes as grocery, anyway.

You're probably referring to the "points" that you earn for using Samsung Pay itself, which I used to also closely watch but these days they're basically worthless (I usually earn $12 or so a year - not enough to even cover the sales tax on a new phone).  This is "Samsung Cash Back" which works like a portal similar to Rakuten (but pays much, much more slowly.)  It's easy to confuse the two.

At the risk of going off-topic, Walmart Grocery is billed to your card out of Bentonville, AR regardless of where your store is, and for Amex it codes as grocery regardless of how purchases made inside the store code.  It doesn't for Discover, though, and I don't know about the Chase Freedom.

For a while I've made sure to always check Rakuten and TopCashBack before making an online purchase, and now I check the Samsung Pay app for cash back deals as well.

Message 68 of 81
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Walmart rolling out new anti-Samsung Pay POS software?

Been seeing talks that Walmart has new software that can reject Samsung Pay as a payment method, similar to Home Depot's new system. Has anyone here tried out SP at their local store within the past week?

Mine still worked a few days ago, but if this is true than that's a huge kick in the teeth. Please tell me I'm not the only weirdo who hates how stubborn select retailers are being, especially in today's world!

Message 69 of 81
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart rolling out new anti-Samsung Pay POS software?

Personally I wish all major merchants were set up for contactless payment and that all would support the big three (Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay).  Nothing wrong with Wal-Mart pushing their own mobile payment system, and under the right circumstances (loyalty program or other incentives) I would consider using a merchant specific payment system. 

My buddy has Samsung Pay, many times when had has paid with his phone at various places he gets the "oh we don't take that here" of course it goes through because they don't understand that Samsung Pay works differently from Apple Pay and Google Pay.  Personally I don't think it is the person trying to use Samsung Pay is being a jerk, with Samsung Pay since it works on pretty much any card reader I know several people who no longer carry other cards.  

Personally, Samsung isn't for me, I do like that many banks are going contactless and we are seeing more and more contactless terminals in stores so I get to use my Google Pay far more than I used to, I only wish HEB/Central Market did contactless. 

Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.