Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santander Bank Bravo MasterCard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Santander Bank Bravo MasterCard

So it seems there is 2 opinions.

@Longtime-thx for the info on Bank and how big they are. That helps. Makes me wonder if maybe they have a sub Prime division and a regular one?? Not sure.

@AverageJoe & @Fltireguy... thx for the info on FICO scores. That's the type of info I always look for in posts-FICO requirements, CRA pulled, etc...

When you search you get 2 opinions on this bank. The USA Today article made it sound good.

They do offer 2 cards... one doesn't have a AF... its a low APR card... then the Bravo has the rewards but a $49 AF, which isn't bad for an aF. Some have $99 and up for good rewards. 3X on the top 3 categories seems good to me but maybe I am missing something.

Message 11 of 28
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

So, here is the next question. What is a point worth? Realistically, someone could come out with a card with a 10x points category. But, if a point is only worth 1/10 Of a cent, is it a good card just because it's 10 times points?
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 12 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Looks like a good overall card. 3X points on gas, groceries, and restaurants - and 1X on all others. 0% APR for first 18 months (I think-it may have been 12)

Never heard of this bank but anyone can apply. Found it on some "best cc you never heard of" article.

https://www.santanderbank.com/us/personal/credit-cards/bravo

Anyone ever heard of it or have it? Know who they pull? CLI policy, etc.... thanks

I recently opened a personal line of credit with them, and they pulled EX, and used FICO 8.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

One point for every $1 ( or 3 if on the good categories) it's a 1% back on all and 3% back on the bonus categories card.
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a good few article on this card from reputable sources. When I get back to my home I will find them and post the links. Still makes me hesitant till I hear others on here with "good credit" and are knowlegable have and like and would recommend it. Otherwise I would pass.
Message 15 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I found a good few article on this card from reputable sources. When I get back to my home I will find them and post the links. Still makes me hesitant till I hear others on here with "good credit" and are knowlegable have and like and would recommend it. Otherwise I would pass.

The card has an AF after the first year.   You can get 3% in each of those categories with free cards (not just one for all though) so is the AF worth the convenience, or, if you want few cards, will you spend eough to outweigh what you would get with a 2% everywhere card   (or cancel after first year!)

Message 16 of 28
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The card has an AF after the first year.   You can get 3% in each of those categories with free cards (not just one for all though) so is the AF worth the convenience, or, if you want few cards, will you spend eough to outweigh what you would get with a 2% everywhere card   (or cancel after first year!)

See my link for card comparison on 3X credit cards with no AF 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/No-AF-3X-credit-cards-comparison-Bank-of-the-West-Golden-1-UMB/m-p/4819277

Even for those with geographic restriction, sometime there's a way to bypass that by donation or by joining some organization 

Santander Bravo offers $100 bonus right now if spending 1k. I guess it can be treated as a no AF card for the first 3 years (otherwise $49 AF after 1st year).

3X on gas, supermarket, restaurant (not sure if it's including fast food places??)

Previous post pointed out that it's 1 point = 1cent but what's the minimal redemption amount?

Limit of 15k points that can be earned in each calendar quarter in the 3-point reward categories

Points do not expire as long as account in good standing 

3% FTF

Restricted to some states on the East coast. (in-branch application only)

It looks decent to me but I probably would only apply for it if I have a branch near me and then keeping it only for 3 years.

Message 17 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@csryang wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

See my link for card comparison on 3X credit cards with no AF 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/No-AF-3X-credit-cards-comparison-Bank-of-the-West-Golden-1-UMB/m-p/4819277

Even for those with geographic restriction, sometime there's a way to bypass that by donation or by joining some organization 

Santander Bravo offers $100 bonus right now if spending 1k. I guess it can be treated as a no AF card for the first 3 years (otherwise $49 AF after 1st year).

3X on gas, supermarket, restaurant (not sure if it's including fast food places??)

Previous post pointed out that it's 1 point = 1cent but what's the minimal redemption amount?

Limit of 15k points that can be earned in each calendar quarter in the 3-point reward categories

Points do not expire as long as account in good standing 

3% FTF

Restricted to some states on the East coast. (in-branch application only)

It looks decent to me but I probably would only apply for it if I have a branch near me and then keeping it only for 3 years.

Without looking any further at the card itself, the in-branch application only will put a severe damper on this one for many of the folks on here... similar to how it did for the BBVA/Compass NBA Amex card once it went in-branch only.

Message 18 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The in branch application thing kind of makes sense. Santander is a conservative bank and really doesn't want people just applying for CCs (similar to US Bank). They want the whole banking relationship out of you. If you apply for a CC in branch, they can try to convince you to open more than just a CC. I'd also guess they don't want influxes of applications as the underwriting team for CCs is probably pretty small.

That said, I still don't think this card is anything amazing. 3% on categories with a $49 fee isn't impressive. They do have a no AF card but it's just a flat 1%. If you bank with them and meet certain requirements I believe they will waive the Bravo $49 fee, in which case it's an easier sell.

Message 19 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@csryang wrote:

Personally, I HATE this type of calculation!   As some no AF cards also have good bonuses, I like to keep the things separate.  The $100 is yours to keep (once you meet the requirement) so the question, after the first year, is "Does it make sense to keep this card?" and the fact that you have got some money up front doesn't, alone, justify keeping it.  

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.