Did you mean: 

Santander Bank Bravo MasterCard

tag
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Re: Santander Bank Bravo MasterCard

@longtimelurker wrote:

@csryang wrote:

Santander Bravo offers $100 bonus right now if spending 1k. I guess it can be treated as a no AF card for the first 3 years (otherwise $49 AF after 1st year).

Personally, I HATE this type of calculation!   As some no AF cards also have good bonuses, I like to keep the things separate.  The $100 is yours to keep (once you meet the requirement) so the question, after the first year, is "Does it make sense to keep this card?" and the fact that you have got some money up front doesn't, alone, justify keeping it.  

Yeah I dont like cards with AF as well. 

It's just one way of looking at things and compare them on the basis of which card offering more years of no AF period. I also agree with you that most people just look at bonus offer by itself (believe me, I am one of them too at times) and then looking at the rest to judge whether to apply or not.

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Bravo card. They pulled Experian and gave me a soft line of $1,800 with a score of 722 and aaoa of 1.5 years.

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a fan of AF cards either but $49 isn't too bad. The no online apps is a deal breaker tho. Even when banks have a branch in walking distance I still app online. It's 2016-almost 2017... and you don't have online apps???!?!?!?
Message 23 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not a fan of AF cards either but $49 isn't too bad. The no online apps is a deal breaker tho. Even when banks have a branch in walking distance I still app online. It's 2016-almost 2017... and you don't have online apps???!?!?!?

They did have Bravo applications online for a long time, but evidently it was either causing too much backup for underwriting or they just want to force you to talk to a banker before applying. Santander isn't really a "credit card" bank and I imagine the underwriting team for cards is very small, given how long decisions take. So online apps probably caused a backlog.

It isn't really that unheard of. US Bank requires branch only apps for a long time for the Cash+. Wells Fargo requires branch apps if you do not have a relationship with them. It may seem outdated, but it's not that uncommon.

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be careful with Santander Bank. They are extremely conservative and will shut you down over almost anything.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm.... that's true, just seems outdated as you said. I hate it when companies don't even have a contact us button to email or chat.

Btw....WF allows you to apply now without a relationship. My partner did it two days ago. It was the Cash wise card. I do remember about two yrs ago trying even as a customer, tho it was the secured card that made me a customer, and I wasn't allowed.... so maybe this is new to WF.
Message 26 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@csryang wrote:

Santander Bravo offers $100 bonus right now if spending 1k. I guess it can be treated as a no AF card for the first 3 years (otherwise $49 AF after 1st year).

Personally, I HATE this type of calculation!   As some no AF cards also have good bonuses, I like to keep the things separate.  The $100 is yours to keep (once you meet the requirement) so the question, after the first year, is "Does it make sense to keep this card?" and the fact that you have got some money up front doesn't, alone, justify keeping it.  

Yeah I dont like cards with AF as well. 

It's just one way of looking at things and compare them on the basis of which card offering more years of no AF period. I also agree with you that most people just look at bonus offer by itself (believe me, I am one of them too at times) and then looking at the rest to judge whether to apply or not.

I'm not opposed to AF!   Just to that way of viewing it (the bonus pays AF for X years).   A lot of cards with even high AFs are useful to many people.

Message 27 of 28
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Looks like a good overall card. 3X points on gas, groceries, and restaurants - and 1X on all others. 0% APR for first 18 months (I think-it may have been 12)

Never heard of this bank but anyone can apply. Found it on some "best cc you never heard of" article.

https://www.santanderbank.com/us/personal/credit-cards/bravo

Anyone ever heard of it or have it? Know who they pull? CLI policy, etc.... thanks

Santander is a decent-sized bank, foreign-owned. I have waited for Santander to offer it to me as a preapproval, but so far, no luck. 

The balance transfer offer has  a balance transfer fee, making the transfer offer similar to others. Points are supposed to be 1:1, but I don't have the card, so I can't verify.

I haven't chased after it because I have the sams MC for 5% on gas and 3% on restaurants. I've got a few cards that offer 2% on groceries (2.2% with customer bonus), so it's hard to justify the annual fee after the first year. If you have a 700 on TU, you're probably OK to apply.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.