cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santander Bravo World MasterCard - updates?

tag
watch44
Frequent Contributor

Re: Santander Bravo World MasterCard - updates?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@watch44 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

From http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/chase-a-6356/op-1

..."The penalty is based in part on JPMorgan Chase's failure to report suspicions about Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC to U.S. law enforcement and regulators, despite having alerted United Kingdom authorities in the months prior to Mr. Madoff's arrest," the OCC says. FINCEN fined JPMorgan Chase for willfully violating the BSA by failing to report Madoff's fraudulent investment scheme.

The LIBOR stuff was much more significant though.

Chase alerted UK authorities but not the US? I don't know what to think about that. They sorta did the right thing.

As far as the LIBOR scandal, I follow some finance guys on Twitter, and even when this was hitting the fan, I didn't really get it. Well, google is working fine...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9360580/Barclays-hit-with-290m-fine-...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?client=opera&q=cache:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10...

http://www.businessinsider.com/infographic-the-libor-scandal-explained-2012-7

But I still don't get who this really hurt. The last BI link with the infographic says public institutions were hurt because they didn't make as much on their investments as they could have. But even then, institutions making extra profit off of other institutions (even public ones) doesn't really budge my rage meter. I guess I'm just a heartless proletariate. Cat Indifferent

With the manipulation, at least some mortgage rates were higher than they otherwise should be (since LIBOR is the most widely used index).  I think part of the rage is just that something you might have thought was "real", which determines a lot of consumer index rates, was basically being manipulated by the banks.   Perhaps not too much of a surprise!

But if everybody's costs for loans goes up at the same time, wouldn't it basically be a wash since I assume even bankers get home loans? 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 31 of 44
jaebsf
Contributor

I looked into this product. A couple of things to know. First it is not available in every state. WA being one of those. The other is that all applications are manually reviewed and you may not get a credit decision for as much as 30 days. Not to mention that Santander's reputationfor poor customer service preceeds them.

Message 32 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

But if everybody's costs for loans goes up at the same time, wouldn't it basically be a wash since I assume even bankers get home loans? 

Difference between average consumer and banker:

Average:  Rates go up, costs more on mortgage.   Poorer.

Banker: Rates go up, costs more on mortgage.  Big bonus for meeting earnings target due to rate manipulation!  Richer.

Message 33 of 44
duyen28262
Valued Member

Updated: I received the denial letter yesterday 06/12/2014. The reasons are

- Failed scores cutoff

- Too many recent inquiries

- Excessive balances as reported by the credit agency.

They pulled EX on 06/04/2014 and listed my score as 647 on the letter. 

To be honest, I felt relief with the denial since I read some bad reviews about them Smiley Happy But I think my EX score was a little low.

FICO TU 656 (Barclays 07/15/14) - FICO EQ 650 (DCU 07/25/14) - ? FICO EX ?
 photo 9ed69652-dfc4-4961-b6ba-f0cf0ae5d607.png
BBT Visa Signature $7,000
Message 34 of 44
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@duyen28262 wrote:

Updated: I received the denial letter yesterday 06/12/2014. The reasons are

- Failed scores cutoff

- Too many recent inquiries

- Excessive balances as reported by the credit agency.

They pulled EX on 06/04/2014 and listed my score as 647 on the letter. 

To be honest, I felt relief with the denial since I read some bad reviews about them Smiley Happy But I think my EX score was a little low.

hmm... they seem to be trying to break into the super prime market or something... I thought I read someone over a 720 was denied too.

that's off the list of a card i want!

Message 35 of 44
jaebsf
Contributor

If it's the prime/premium market they are shooting for they need to improve thier reputation. Simply having a pretty card it's enough. They don't seem to be offering any real incentive when compared to competing products. To start with, the having to wait for a manual review of every application. Those with steller credit expect better and recieve it from those that really cater to them.

Message 36 of 44
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Why would you want a card from a Spanish bank known for sticking it to Sub-prime customers?

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 37 of 44
duyen28262
Valued Member

@rudy0720 wrote:

Why would you want a card from a Spanish bank known for sticking it to Sub-prime customers?

me? I like their introductory 0% on BT and purchases Smiley Happy

FICO TU 656 (Barclays 07/15/14) - FICO EQ 650 (DCU 07/25/14) - ? FICO EX ?
 photo 9ed69652-dfc4-4961-b6ba-f0cf0ae5d607.png
BBT Visa Signature $7,000
Message 38 of 44
jaebsf
Contributor

Offers like 0% balance transfer offers all over the place.

Message 39 of 44
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jaebsf wrote:

Offers like 0% balance transfer offers all over the place.

not for 24 months!

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.