cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sapphire Reserve to kill off Ritz Carlton?

tag
Kenro
Regular Contributor

Sapphire Reserve to kill off Ritz Carlton?

Given the strong speculation that Reserve will offer x3 planes and dinning and then x1.5 multiplier for travel... With most likely ALL perks of Ritz-Carlton being present due to the annual fee, minus marriot membership of-course. But thats barely worth anything

How will even upgraded Ritz Carlton compete against that? The point earning is non-comparable. I guess only thing going for Ritz would be that its Full body metal while reserve will most likely be bonded.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Sapphire Reserve to kill off Ritz Carlton?

@Kenro wrote:

Given the strong speculation that Reserve will offer x3 planes and dinning and then x1.5 multiplier for travel... With most likely ALL perks of Ritz-Carlton being present due to the annual fee, minus marriot membership of-course. But thats barely worth anything

How will even upgraded Ritz Carlton compete against that? The point earning is non-comparable. I guess only thing going for Ritz would be that its Full body metal while reserve will most likely be bonded.

I don't think that the Reserve will kill off the Ritz as they are really different types of cards, The Reserve will be a stouter version of the Sapphire which is a travel card and the Ritz a hotel card.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could see the CSR stepping on the toes of many cards but the Ritz will still have its place.
Message 3 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Ritz still offers hotel specific benefits, which in my opinion are unmatched by any other hotel card. They carry the price tag to justify them, but still a fantastic card.

Depending on 5/24, I will apply for the reserve too. Different worlds. CSR will compete with amex plat, and citi prestige. Ritz is, in my opinion, in it's own league of super-premium hotel cards.
Message 4 of 29
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Is this real life lol? Not in the same category. Last I checked CSR doesn't add club level upgrades, $5/$1 at Marriott and comp Gold or Plat status. There is no discussion. That's like saying the Amex platinum should've killed off the HH Amex.
Message 5 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

I guess I worderd the post wrong....

Why would you use Ritz over Reserve as your everyday card?? What kind of justification is there

Message 6 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

I guess I worded it wrong. Why would anyone use Ritz over Reserve as their every-day spending card?

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Ritz feels more exclusive due to being heavier and all metal.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite would squash the Chase Sapphire Reserve if anything.

RC Hotel benefits outweigh primary rental insurance coverage.

You understand that the RC's points are valued at more than 1 cent per dollar when redeemed for hotel credits at Ritz-Carlton Hotels right? So when you get 2x points on travel and restaurants, and 5x points per dollar on RC and partner hotel stays, and 1x points on all other purchases, I think it's more rewarding that the CSR will be. You're basically getting 6.25x/2.5x/1.25x on purchases if you use the card right--- so $12,000 in dining and travel spend will get you one free night at RC.

For example, a TIER 1 RC Hotel "free" night redemption is 40,000 points, but those with a RC card can get one for 30,000 points. The same is said for the rest of the tiers, except the points are higher for each redemption at the higher teir hotels

Additionally, it looks like both the RC and CSR wil have a $300 annual airline fee credit and $100 global entry fee credit.

Not to mention the signup offer for the RC is equivlent to a 180,000 point bonus because of the three free nights.

Message 9 of 29
Kenro
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite would squash the Chase Sapphire Reserve if anything.

RC Hotel benefits outweigh primary rental insurance coverage.

You understand that the RC's points are valued at more than 1 cent per dollar when redeemed for hotel credits at Ritz-Carlton Hotels right? So when you get 2x points on travel and restaurants, and 5x points per dollar on RC and partner hotel stays, and 1x points on all other purchases, I think it's more rewarding that the CSR will be. You're basically getting 6.25x/2.5x/1.25x on purchases if you use the card right--- so $12,000 in dining and travel spend will get you one free night at RC.

For example, a TIER 1 RC Hotel "free" night redemption is 40,000 points, but those with a RC card can get one for 30,000 points. The same is said for the rest of the tiers, except the points are higher for each redemption at the higher teir hotels

Additionally, it looks like both the RC and CSR wil have a $300 annual airline fee credit and $100 global entry fee credit.

Not to mention the signup offer for the RC is equivlent to a 180,000 point bonus because of the three free nights.

Wait I am slightly confused please clarify.

- General rule of thumb is that 1 marriot point is = 0.8$

- I have RC card when I go to book RC chicago hotel it is 50 000 points. How can I get same hotel 30 000 points?

- That same hotel is 327$ in cash.

- 3 point on Reserve on even ritz carlton reservation would equal to 4.5 UR (3x1.5)  against 5 on Ritz carlton card. 5 Marriot points is less than 3 UR points that can equal to 4.5 cents on travel. 5 Ritz/Marriot points are way less than that.

Finally 100k bonus  = 1500$ which at least in chicago's ritz would get you nearly 5 nights.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.