cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save yourself from late payment, review your statement

Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Save yourself from late payment, review your statement

I'm sure this goes without saying for most people, but I've learned this lesson the hard way in the past.  And today I had occasion to remember why it is a good idea to open your mail.

I got a statement from my Diner's Club account.  I had a Diner's Club at my last job which I left in September 2010.  The account should have been closed.  Today, when the bill came I opened it to see that I had a $75 charge for the annual fee to participate in Club Rewards.  I called them and they immediately credited the fee back and closed the account.  But once upon a time I might have just thrown that in the trash.  I have most of my bills set up for autopayment, so sometimes I get in the bad habit of just throwing things away. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Re: Save yourself from late payment, review your statement

So true!

I must confess that I am puzzled by how many cards people have, and I wonder how much time it takes to be on top of everything. I know there was a thread some time ago about this, with people saying they use spreadsheets and what not. People are different, have different goals and priorities, and it's great, but I can personally see why Suze Orman advises to have 4-5 cards.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.