cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Say Hello To The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant & Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Cards.

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX SPG and new Marriott card

@wasCB14 wrote:

$49 personal as well as business...so that's 10 cards with an 11th soon to launch!

Maybe something like CMP85 for Chase Marriott Personal $85.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm curious about the Personal Chase no-AF (not yet released) card you mentioned. It's nice to be able to downgrade to no AF instead of cancelling.

Good for keeping credit history and AAoOA. One option for infrequent guests to keep points active (though Marriott also has an online shopping portal).

I doubt the card will be good for much else, though.

The Marriott online shopping portal closed a few months ago.  It started awesome since Amazon was there on day one, but then they went away within a few days and the list of partners was nowhere near as good as others like SkyMiles Shopping. 

My assumption (so far they've all mostly come true LOL) is that we're going to see legacy cards ($45-$85) be product changed up or down to the upcoming no-AF card or the $95 Chase card over the next year or so.  And most likely within a year or two, we'll see existing vanilla SPG cardholders moved to the $95 Chase card, existing Ritz-Carlton holders moved to the $450 Amex card, and existing Marriott Business cardholders moved to the Amex Business card.  That brings it down to a much more reasonable 4 total Marriott cards - 2 from each lender.

Message 61 of 127
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The Marriott online shopping portal closed a few months ago.  It started awesome since Amazon was there on day one, but then they went away within a few days and the list of partners was nowhere near as good as others like SkyMiles Shopping. 

My assumption (so far they've all mostly come true LOL) is that we're going to see legacy cards ($45-$85) be product changed up or down to the upcoming no-AF card or the $95 Chase card over the next year or so.  And most likely within a year or two, we'll see existing vanilla SPG cardholders moved to the $95 Chase card, existing Ritz-Carlton holders moved to the $450 Amex card, and existing Marriott Business cardholders moved to the Amex Business card.  That brings it down to a much more reasonable 4 total Marriott cards - 2 from each lender.

Good to know. I edited my post.

I think they can definitely consolidate the cards down to the 4. I can see Ritz holders getting pretty upset about it, but the plastic replacement cards hint at a finite future.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 62 of 127
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

All of those abbreviations are beginning to look like Chemistry class.  MrBv4Br50  LOL

IKR! Wth were they thinking? I happened to look at my account on the Marriott website - and it does have an option to opt in for focus groups. Clearly, they picked the wrong people, if they picked anyone at all! 

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I really really hate this rebranding.  If they were going with keeping the Marriott corporate umbrella, they should have just combined Starwood Preferred Guest and Ritz-Carlton Rewards into Marriott Rewards.  Marriott Rewards was a perfectly acceptable name and brand.

Me too. Why would you rename your Luxury card Brilliant? That sounds nothing like high end awesomeness it should have...it just sounds like to should be a loud color! 

Message 63 of 127
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

How disappointing...Bonvoy!!?? I don't even want those cards now just because of the name, LOL. What Bonidiot came up with that name?
Message 64 of 127
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@iheartwings wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

All of those abbreviations are beginning to look like Chemistry class.  MrBv4Br50  LOL

IKR! Wth were they thinking? I happened to look at my account on the Marriott website - and it does have an option to opt in for focus groups. Clearly, they picked the wrong people, if they picked anyone at all! 

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I really really hate this rebranding.  If they were going with keeping the Marriott corporate umbrella, they should have just combined Starwood Preferred Guest and Ritz-Carlton Rewards into Marriott Rewards.  Marriott Rewards was a perfectly acceptable name and brand.

Me too. Why would you rename your Luxury card Brilliant? That sounds nothing like high end awesomeness it should have...it just sounds like to should be a loud color! 

Bonvoy LOL.jpg

Message 65 of 127
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

Bonvoy LOL.jpg

Smiley LOL That is perfect.  While I have been playfully pushing Starriott-Carlton for the past year, I double down on my statement that they should have just consolidated as Marriott Rewards.

Message 66 of 127
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to guess it's a play on Bon Voyage. Ew. As for abbreviation, I think we're GTG with anything that has a B next to an underlined o in it.

Message 67 of 127
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Is the basic SPG worth getting at this point? I'm over 5/24 so no Chase cards.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 68 of 127
jgdev
Regular Contributor

AMEX SPG Card Going Away 02/12

I didn't see any topics on this one yet and wanted to post this for anyone who was on the fence about the card. Not 100% sure if this goes here or in News.

The last day to apply is 02/12 and it won't be completely discontinued but no new applications will be taken. It will then convert over to an AMEX Marriott Bonvoy card. Meaning the only way to get a new Mariott branded card after 02/12 will be through Chase as the AMEX Mariott Bonvoy will only be available to existing SPG card holders.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/get-spg-amex-before-its-gone/

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 69 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX SPG Card Going Away 02/12

@jgdev wrote:

I didn't see any topics on this one yet and wanted to post this for anyone who was on the fence about the card. Not 100% sure if this goes here or in News.

The last day to apply is 02/12 and it won't be completely discontinued but no new applications will be taken. It will then convert over to an AMEX Marriott Bonvoy card. Meaning the only way to get a new Mariott branded card after 02/12 will be through Chase as the AMEX Mariott Bonvoy will only be available to existing SPG card holders.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/get-spg-amex-before-its-gone/

That has been discussed along with the other changes coming in this thread.

Message 70 of 127
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.