cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Say Hello To The Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant & Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Cards.

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX SPG Card Going Away 02/12

I'm sure folks may already be aware of this, but it appears that the Ritz CC will not have the Bonvoy name displayed on the actual card.

S20190129.jpg

Message 71 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got the email and was relieved.  What an awful name for a rewards program.

Hopefully my 2 lb card will continue to work until it expires 4/22

Message 72 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Ritz Infinite Card. I wonder if they will issue new cards in the heavy metal? They better because I like it... Smiley Wink  I'm with you Irish. Mine doesn't expire until 6/23..

Message 73 of 127
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got the email and was relieved.  What an awful name for a rewards program.

Hopefully my 2 lb card will continue to work until it expires 4/22

I'm on the same boat as you.  It's my understanding that newer replacements will be like CSP, Marriott, etc. - metal core. So, hopefully mine doesn't get compromised anytime soon 😁😄.  This has been the 3rd replacement in a couple years 😶  of course, I still have the handy-dandy plastic version (just in case) which works just fine and doesn't have the same gravity effects as the hefty one.

Message 74 of 127
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Could you guys ask for a replacement now just to push back the expiration date?

Also, I assume now is a good time to get the SPG card if I want one, since I don’t think I’ll be under 5/24 for a while...

[2/2019]
Message 75 of 127
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jdbkiang - IIRC, unless the expiration date is on the near horizon, the replacement card will still bear the same expiration timeframe inclusive of the same CVV. However, AFAIK for Ritz CCs, any current replacements are now the metal-core versions.

With AmEx, IME, the expiration date typically changes along with the CID whenever a replacement CC is generated.
Message 76 of 127
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Ah yes, Chase does their replacement cards differently. I’d made my suggestion based on what I remembered of Amex.

[2/2019]
Message 77 of 127
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@jgdev wrote:

I didn't see any topics on this one yet and wanted to post this for anyone who was on the fence about the card. Not 100% sure if this goes here or in News.

The last day to apply is 02/12 and it won't be completely discontinued but no new applications will be taken. It will then convert over to an AMEX Marriott Bonvoy card. Meaning the only way to get a new Mariott branded card after 02/12 will be through Chase as the AMEX Mariott Bonvoy will only be available to existing SPG card holders.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/get-spg-amex-before-its-gone/

That has been discussed along with the other changes coming in this thread.

Well, I had to try before the impending deadline Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy  Well, at least the "pop up" warning worked!

Unfortunately, I can't give up Marriot Premier Plus or Ritz because of 5/24 so I'll have to say "Bon Voyage" to the SPG and SUB Smiley Tongue.   Good luck to those still on the fence before they close apps for the standard SPG.

SPG PreApvd.jpg     SPG No SUB.jpg

Message 78 of 127
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jgdev wrote:

I didn't see any topics on this one yet and wanted to post this for anyone who was on the fence about the card. Not 100% sure if this goes here or in News.

The last day to apply is 02/12 and it won't be completely discontinued but no new applications will be taken. It will then convert over to an AMEX Marriott Bonvoy card. Meaning the only way to get a new Mariott branded card after 02/12 will be through Chase as the AMEX Mariott Bonvoy will only be available to existing SPG card holders.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/get-spg-amex-before-its-gone/

That has been discussed along with the other changes coming in this thread.

Well, I had to try before the impending deadline Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy  Well, at least the "pop up" warning worked!

Unfortunately, I can't give up Marriot Premier Plus or Ritz because of 5/24 so I'll have to say "Bon Voyage" to the SPG and SUB Smiley Tongue.   Good luck to those still on the fence before they close apps for the standard SPG.

SPG PreApvd.jpg     SPG No SUB.jpg

As lousy as it is, at least they tell you up-front!  Smiley Frustrated

I previously got the infamous no bonus 'pop-up' on a Cash Magnet app last summer, and I admit I'm curious if I would get it again (I suspect so). 

With my luck, though, I wouldn't get the pop-up and then I would have to be concerned with earning the bonus, which since I now have the CSP bonus to work on would be rather tough for me. 

If only the timing were different... definitely FWP.   Smiley Sad

Message 79 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bonvoy Brilliant card replacement

Does anyone know if Amex will automatically ship the new Bonvoy brilliant card or do we have to call to replace the old SPG Lux card?
Message 80 of 127
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.