Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam allert

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Scam allert

So last week I was approved for a 2nd Us bank cash+ card. Got it on tuesday and immeditly activated. Today i got an autmated call saying my card was never activated , and to enter the card number to acivate it. I immeditly hung up and called us bank on the number on the back of my card. The csr said their was no attemp to reach out to me, and my card had been activated ok. Besides my constant parnoia on thses times of things, after activating it, I had gone out and bought a soda with it just to make sure it was working ok.

Just warning people who might have recently been approved for a cash + card recently.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Scam allert

Did the call claim to be from US Bank? Visa? Or just "your credit card company"?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 11
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Did the call claim to be from US Bank? Visa? Or just "your credit card company"?

Specially said US Bank.

Message 3 of 11
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Wow! Scary times we live in. I am sure USBank is grateful that you didn't compromise your new card right out of the envelope.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Thanks for the word of caution!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. Thanks. This might be an issue from any issuer. I have a Chase card on the way.

Message 7 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Is there a chance it was genuine?   I kept getting emails on one of my US Bank cards reminding me to activate it, although it had already been activated (these emails were genuine and directed me to the actual US Bank site).   Possible that the CSR didn't know.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Is there a chance it was genuine?   I kept getting emails on one of my US Bank cards reminding me to activate it, although it had already been activated (these emails were genuine and directed me to the actual US Bank site).   Possible that the CSR didn't know.

I thought of that too. I once got an email from Citi that looked suspicious. The wording and misspelled word made me wonder. I reported it as spam but it was legit. I followed the link in the email to log into my account and the url was legit, typed in an incorrect password to be sure and it was rejected. The real one worked.

Message 9 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

There is a pretty good chance this was automated call from US Bank, because bless their hearts when it comes to technology.

I was "reminded" for 2 months to activate my Cash+. I think I was on my second statement when they finally stopped telling me I should use it

I get emails about activating categories for a month or longer after they've been activated. 

They congratulated me on AR approval via email also about two months after it was approved.

I was beating it to bloody ground and they still kept sending messages about adding it to Samsung Pay. 

Around December (six months after approval) they were nice enough to mention I have travel credits to use, about 4 months after they were used. 

US Bank goblins dont move fast. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.