Did you mean: 

Score Decline b/c of Macy's/Macy's AmExp Issue

tag
LShan82
Regular Contributor

Score Decline b/c of Macy's/Macy's AmExp Issue

I know everyone says this, but this is not for me but for a friend. LOL 

On the serious side. 

My friend has a Macy's store card and a Macy's AmExp card.  She was going to the store to make payments on her AmExp card.  Turns out, they were crediting her Macy's store card and they had a credit, while her AmExp card was showing a balance and now it is showing as late on her credit report.   They finally moved the funds, but how does she clear up her credit?  Can she ask them to remove the lates due to their mistake?  Should she try to backdoor them?      

Now the other thing is how do I explain to her the difference btwn myfico scores and credit karma scores?   

Thanks in advance. 

Current Scores 11/2016:Equifax 8: 688 TransU 8: 675 Xperian 8: 674 Cards: Penfed Promise Visa Barclay Reward MasterCard American Express Blue Cash Rewards Nordstrom
8 REPLIES 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Score Decline b/c of Macy's/Macy's AmExp Issue

I would start by asking the creditor due to store error. There is a sticky thread about FICO vs FAKO that would help with the second question.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 9
LShan82
Regular Contributor

The creditors fixed everything and the score went back up. 

Current Scores 11/2016:Equifax 8: 688 TransU 8: 675 Xperian 8: 674 Cards: Penfed Promise Visa Barclay Reward MasterCard American Express Blue Cash Rewards Nordstrom
Message 3 of 9
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

That's great.  I had a friend who was very frustrated with Macy's because of how long it was taking to report that her balance was paid in full.  It took about 4 months for them to properly report it to the credit agencies. After hearing the stories about Macy's, I can't imagine ever getting or using their card.

Starting FICO 8's (7/2016) EQ 715|| TU 743 || EX 762
Current FICO 8's (10/2022) EQ 838|| TU 828|| EX 826
Goal FICO 8's: 780 across the board - Goal met 9/2018;
Next Goal FICO 8's: 800 across the board - Goal met 10/2022
Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I have had some problems with the Macys card at the begining but since i sent a letter explaining what was going on, all is well and have had no problems since. As for reporting updated balances, seems quite a few creditors have this problem or the CRA like EQ are just plain slow lol!
Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Years ago I had a Macy's card with two different 'plans' in addition to the revolving account, so I got three bills each month in one envelope.

Any time I paid in the store, they would put the entire payment on the revolving part, and I would have a late fee on the other two.  I would then have to call them and they would make the adjustment (move the payment around, and waive the fee).  Thankfully I caught it before it went to 30 days... I have no idea how they would have resolved it back then had it reported as late (this was before social media, so if things went badly there was very little meaningful recourse).

After this happened the second time I decided to keep things simple and always mail the payment to Macy's each month.  Smiley Frustrated

I can't say that I'm in a hurry to get another Macy's account... from what I read around here things aren't much better than they once were.

Message 6 of 9
LShan82
Regular Contributor

I didn't realize Macy's had so many issues.   I'm glad I don't shop there a lot, so I won't need that card.  LOL  

Message 7 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

The card isn't really anything special and I've yet to encounter any other card that does what they did with the split accounts like Macy's does.  They've streamlined things a bit though in the past year getting rid of the sub catagories of credit lines from what it was.  It's still a pain to deal with switching accounts in a drop down in the online account center.  The only perk really is the "savings pass" that comes with the the card for 20% off periodically.  I've used my card with them a couple of times since opening but have defaulted to using BCE / Discover at this point other than at the time was using my Sam's MC for the 5/3/1% catagories.

Message 8 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Friend of mine let his macy's close ...

(had one of the higher tier cards as well) 

Somehow... he was the victim of identity fraud/fraudulent charges... and called in and they were like dont pay, FAX or snail mail the form we will send you... had to call repeatedly to get the form sent.. They sent it to collections even though he already was in contact with them! Eventually he reached someone from amex in arizona who emailed him a PDF of the form and he faxed it back in (they dont accept email)...... but not before they reported the lates and CLD'ed him to almost nothing... A few more calls to macys and it eventually did get escalated and removed off his reports... (it took months since they didnt get rid of all the lates... since every time he called they were like.. no you dont have to pay it, but they were sending out collections) but they never undid the CLD and the card was left to rot in the SD.... Has not used it since and its probably closed by now..  Macys is HORRIBLE to deal with.... they are still stuck in the early 80s with their credit processing methods and systems... (Did i also mention he had a rock solid credit report and a high 840s score.... oddly enough.. this really didnt take much of a hit... Kinda surprised me...)

-J

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.