cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores Just got whacked!!! Can someone please explain statement date vs due date?

tag
gmac11
Established Member

Scores Just got whacked!!! Can someone please explain statement date vs due date?

Scores just took a deep dive. Average 50+ per CRA

I just received 2 new cards Barclays $500 and WalMart $700

So from what I read here at the forum and went out and charged Barclays $450 and WalMart $ 600 with plans on paying in full to show can use and pay.

However looks like my 1st statements came and these high utilizations reported to the bureau and was I bummed. I new I'd take a hit for the new account but though if paid before the due date I would be alright?

Guess reporting goes off statement date rather than due date

Starting Scores 11/2012
EX 521 EQ 559 TU552

8/1/2013
EX 544 EQ 637 TU 685
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Scores Just got whacked!!! Can someone please explain statement date vs due date?

Yes, the amount reported to CRAs -for most lenders- is based on the amount posted to your statement. If you want to correct the problem for next month (remember FICO doesn't have a memory) pay your balance before the statement date
Message 2 of 10
gmac11
Established Member

Re: Scores Just got whacked!!! Can someone please explain statement date vs due date?

Thanks Lexie

Can I assume if the statement was cut the 8th that the 8th will always be statement date by which the report?

Starting Scores 11/2012
EX 521 EQ 559 TU552

8/1/2013
EX 544 EQ 637 TU 685
Message 3 of 10
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Most likely. I have had mine vary by a day or two though. So my advice would be to pay it 3 or 4 days ahead of the date it reported last month just to be safe.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 4 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1

And if we are talking about Walmart, they have a tendency of delayed posting of purchases for a few days. I wouldn't use the card for a week prior to the statement cut off.
Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@KeithW wrote:

Most likely. I have had mine vary by a day or two though. So my advice would be to pay it 3 or 4 days ahead of the date it reported last month just to be safe.

+1

Some lenders generate a statement cycle on the same date every month while others have a 3-7 day leeway.

Message 6 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

With Lexie and keith ways to approach this you won't have any more problems if you follow their advice 

+3

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
+1

And if we are talking about Walmart, they have a tendency of delayed posting of purchases for a few days. I wouldn't use the card for a week prior to the statement cut off.

Me too....at least a week on Walmart, because they are famous for reporting a balance way after it was paid in full.... I rarely use the card now because of this--and no rewards. I do enjoy the free fico though....lol. they don't often approve my cli requests though.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 8 of 10
gmac11
Established Member

Thanks to all for the advice..

Does charging to 90% and paying off in full BEFORE THE STATEMENT DATE Smiley Wink help with CLI's in the future?

Starting Scores 11/2012
EX 521 EQ 559 TU552

8/1/2013
EX 544 EQ 637 TU 685
Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@gmac11 wrote:

Thanks to all for the advice..

Does charging to 90% and paying off in full BEFORE THE STATEMENT DATE Smiley Wink help with CLI's in the future?

Usage plays a big part with some lenders, some tend to peform SPs/(ARs) to provide an overall assessment and determine whether your accounts are elegible for an auto-CLI.  Barclays can be odd with auto-CLI frequency, there is no right or wrong as far as utilization just make sure not to exceed your CL.  Walmart can have some flexibility if you request a CLI (infamous love button or Credit Solutions as other have used) after your 4th statement.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.