Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores vs history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores vs history

When applying for credit, can you get by with high scores alone, or do you need a decent length of history as well?

For instance, are creditors more apt to accept someone with a 750 with 5 years of history over someone with an 800, but only 1 year?

I know it's definitely a YMMV type of thing, but I just wanted to get some insight and comments on what people thought.  Even if you have really high scores, are you still most likely going to get declined by AMEX, Chase, etc. if you only have 1 or 2 years of credit history (albeit good history)?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Scores vs history

You have a chance to be seriously considered just because of your high scores.  It gets your foot in the door for any loan application. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 13
Voodard
Contributor

I'd say creditors would see the person with a 750 and 5 years of credit history more favorably.
TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 3 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

700 w/4+ tradelines and even 3 years > 800 w/1 tradeline + one year from an underwriting perspective.  

That's true at least 2 major lenders I have direct knowledge of.  A score only gets you so far, and you're lacking in payment history, and tradelines honestly.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to round out your credit profile, and I'd refrain from applying for the absolute top tier cards as I think they might wind up being a rude surprise.

        
Message 4 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

700 w/4+ tradelines and even 3 years > 800 w/1 tradeline + one year from an underwriting perspective.  

That's true at least 2 major lenders I have direct knowledge of.  A score only gets you so far, and you're lacking in payment history, and tradelines honestly.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to round out your credit profile, and I'd refrain from applying for the absolute top tier cards as I think they might wind up being a rude surprise.

I agree, a stay in the garden for a year will get you anything you want almost (YMMV).

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 13
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

tbh, i didn't know 800 FICO is possible with 1 tl and 1 year of history.  Aren't both of those things, #/mix of TL + AAoA, major factors in the FICO scoring algorithm?

...unless you are authorized user on a few much older trade lines?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveSignal wrote:

tbh, i didn't know 800 FICO is possible with 1 tl and 1 year of history.  Aren't both of those things, #/mix of TL + AAoA, major factors in the FICO scoring algorithm?

...unless you are authorized user on a few much older trade lines?

It probably is on current versions of the model.  There was a post over in one of the other boards where it was EQ 735 / TU 798 theoretically from here.  Personally I don't put a lot of stock in the 798 as a TU '98 pull compared to the Beacon 5.0 number, but not all scores are carry equal weight and many underwriters would look very skeptically at someone with such short history. 

        
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't so much picking any real numbers, just giving a scenario for illistrative purposes.  I don't know if it would be possible, I just wanted to know if a creditor would be more inclined to deny you simply because of a short history, even if you had high scores, which seems to be the case, which is what I originally thought.

Does applying for a second card through the same CCC increase your chances of approval? Does it depend on the CCC whether or not it might give you a better chance of being approved?

Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I wasn't so much picking any real numbers, just giving a scenario for illistrative purposes.  I don't know if it would be possible, I just wanted to know if a creditor would be more inclined to deny you simply because of a short history, even if you had high scores, which seems to be the case, which is what I originally thought.

Does applying for a second card through the same CCC increase your chances of approval? Does it depend on the CCC whether or not it might give you a better chance of being approved?

If you've done well with relationship, probably. If you haven't been a model customer for whatever reason, it may be a detriment.

Most of the big lenders are starting to try to reward customer loyalty, so on the balance it probably helps.  

        
Message 9 of 13
FrugalRican
Blogger

The "800" with 1 year will more than likely be told that he has a thin credit file.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.