cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sears Store Card "Sears Doesn't Negotiate" interest rates?

tag
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

Sears Store Card "Sears Doesn't Negotiate" interest rates?

I noticed my Sears Card iinterest rate went from 20.40 to 21.99% this month.  I never have to pay the interest because it is my higest interest card, so when I use it I normally pay it all before the billing cycle ends.  But I called anyway to find out why, and to see if it can be lowered.  The man said "Sears Doesn't Negotiate" in the haughtiest tone ever!  Anyone else have this happen with Sears?  I've had the card for 12 years so it REALLY helps my AAoA, so I won't be canceling it, but I WAS thinking about getting a ride-on mower this year using this card.  So there goes my dream!  Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sears Store Card "Sears Doesn't Negotiate" interest rates?

Most store card will not budge of change your apr.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store cards do not negotiate.
Message 3 of 4
Established Contributor

@smo65d11 wrote:
I noticed my Sears Card interest rate went from 20.40 to 21.99% this month.  I never have to pay the interest because it is my highest interest card, so when I use it I normally pay it all before the billing cycle ends. 

I wouldn't be concerned about your Sears interest rate. Your other card's interest rates will be going up also. By the time the new credit law kicks in next year, all credit card ongoing rates will be much higher.

The advantage of using store cards has always been their "promo" deals and short term low or no interest rate offers.

Since no card issuer will be able to raise interest rates on existing balances after June of next year, even the bank Visa and Master cards will behave like "store cards".

Visa and Mastercard credit cards will have much higher rates. There will be plenty of temporary promo offers. The new law specifically states that "promo" rates are exempt from the provision prohibiting rate hikes on existing balances.

Basically the big banks succeeded in getting legislation passed that will ultimately increase their profits. All credit cards will operate like high interest rate "store cards".

The banks will only lower the rates temporarily in order to draw the consumer deeper into debt (just like a store card). Once the consumer runs up debt and the temporary rate expires, the consumer will be stuck paying very high interest rates (just like a store card).

Although "Sears Doesn't Negotiate", I believe that most banks will "negotiate" lower interest rates even now so long as they are officially classified as "temporary" and thus exempt from the new law's so called "consumer protection" features.   

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.