Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Round Two $100 Restaurant Certificates from Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Second Round Two $100 Restaurant Certificates from Amex

Hi everyone, I posted one back in Feb 2011 as shown in below.  I didn't respond to the offer.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/FREE-offer-from-Amex/td-p/848976

Today, I received another one in the mail.  At this time, I visited www.diningdough.com to find out participating restaurants, terms and conditions as printed on the bottom of the letter.  Well, it sounds good to get $200 Certificate to dining out.  But, to use the certificate, you must to spend twice more than the certificate amount.  It's like 50% off deal.   Any amount of certificate comes with 18% Gratuity added prior to discount weather you receives good customer service or not.  Also some come with like  Valid for Food ONLY. Excludes: Holidays/Special Events. DINNER ONLY    Valid Sun-Thur  or  Excludes Fri-Sat.  Excludes: Alcohol 

$10 Dining Certificate ... Minimum purchase of   $20.

$25 Dining Certificate ... Minimum purchase of   $35.    This is best/most discount you can get.   $35 + 18% + Taxes - $25 = your due

$50 Dining Certificate ... Minimum purchase of $100.

$75 Dining Certificate ... Minimum purchase of $150

$100 Dining Certificate ... Minimum purchase of $200.

I have about two month ~ Respond by Nov 25, 2011 ~ to decide to take this offer or not. 

Oh, I forgot about this ... I need to find someone to go with me before then ... Lollllll

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Re: Second Round Two $100 Restaurant Certificates from Amex

I don't find restaurant.com gift certificates to be that good of a deal. They're kind of a pain to use, and they don't have that much utility.

They other thing is, I don't think this deal is that good. Restaurant.com usually sells them for 80% off your cost at least once per month -- meaning that $25 certificate, which costs $10, can usually be gotten for just $2. And, you can use the coupon and still accure affliate rebates from places like Uprome and Mr. Rebates (15% and 25% back), to lower your hard cost down even further to $1.70 and $1.50 respectively.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Restaurant.com gift certificates are awesome, imo.  They are regularly on sale for 70-80% of the usual cost and, like stan_the_man said, that usually equates to less than $5 for a $25+ gift certificate.  Some include the 18% gratuity, others do not. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's different between these two ?

www.diningdough.com

www.restaurant.com

This one is offered from Amex and required to become a member of Travel + Leisure Elite Traveler with $2.99 club processing fee.  First two months of clube membership is free. 

And remember: You're also entitled to 2 FREE $100 Restaurant Certificates when you respond.  They're valued at up to $200. And they're yours to keep and use no matter what.  So, don't miss out.  Please return your Two $100 Restaurant Certificates/membership Order Form in the enclosed postage-paid envelope by 11/25/11.

I did math again ...

$25 Dining Certificate ... Minimum purchase of   $35.   

This is best/most discount you can get.  

$35 + $6.30 (18%) + $3.06 (8.75% Tax) = $44.36

$44.36 - $25 = $19.36 due   ...  It's kind of up to 50% of total due.

Has anyone received same offer and accepted?   If so, how does it works?  Did you like it or not?

Message 4 of 6
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What's different between these two ?

www.diningdough.com

www.restaurant.com

This one is offered from Amex and required to become a member of Travel + Leisure Elite Traveler with $2.99 club processing fee.  First two months of clube membership is free. 

And remember: You're also entitled to 2 FREE $100 Restaurant Certificates when you respond.  They're valued at up to $200. And they're yours to keep and use no matter what.  So, don't miss out.  Please return your Two $100 Restaurant Certificates/membership Order Form in the enclosed postage-paid envelope by 11/25/11.

I did math again ...

$25 Dining Certificate ... Minimum purchase of   $35.   

This is best/most discount you can get.  

$35 + $6.30 (18%) + $3.06 (8.75% Tax) = $44.36

$44.36 - $25 = $19.36 due   ...  It's kind of up to 50% of total due.

Has anyone received same offer and accepted?   If so, how does it works?  Did you like it or not?

DiningDough is run by Restaurant.com to redeem reward vouchers. Otherwise, I don't believe there is a difference.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, so ... it will be like this ... after I accept this offer, I will receive $200 to redeem to any amount ($10, $25, $50, $75, $100) of gift card  then receive it in the mail.  Present a gift card to the waiter/waitress to pay less.   

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.