Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second card for student?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Second card for student?

Hello

I just found this site a few days ago, and have been looking around, it seems to improve my score I should try to maximize the amount of credit available to me(To some degree)?

The best way to do this seems to be getting a second card, and I was wondering if you guys could offer some suggestions.

Should I get another student card or try for somthing "real"

Info:

-I have had my wells fargo student card for 6 months now ($1000.00 limit)

-I have paid off in full each month

-My utilization is ~16%

-Income is $7200 (Student so its not much) , if I am able to count what I pay for tuition it would be ~$15000

Someone told me I should try for AMEX Zync so I could backdate for once I have a better income, however; AMEX has a reputation for denying people so im not sure if this is a good idea?

I would apreciate any suggestions on what I should do Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Second card for student?

I was approved for the Zync after having had my WF card ($1200 cl) for 8 months. Your income won't be a problem; I was approved for NPSL with less. Go ahead and apply for the Zync, I think your chances are good.
Message 2 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Do not apply until 6 months of reporting on that wells Fargo happens.  That doesn't mean having for six months.  That means on credit report, there is 6 months of reporting.  My recommendation is to get wf card to report < 10% utilization as well.  When all that happens, then app for the following that you like: Amex zync, discover student more, Citibank student card.  remember you can include scholarships and grants into income as well.  Make sure to app for student versions aside from zync.  Feel free to app for all three I'd you like.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd wouldn't recommend applying for Discover More Student without being able to show $14,000 income (yes, really).
Message 4 of 13
stevenngu92
Contributor

I'd wait until the 1 or 1 1/2 year mark. I'm a student as well who started with a wells fargo college card back in 2010. After the 1 1/2 year mark which was a few weeks ago for me i apped for Amex BCE, Chase Freedom, Discover More, Best Buy Store Card, and Citi Foward. Got Approved for all except the Citi Foward. I personally think 6 months of history is too short, but then again i'm only 19 so i don't know much.

Amazon Store Card ($6000) Amex BCE ($10000) Amex PRG (NPSL) BofA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) Best Buy Store Card ($5000) Chase Freedom ($2500) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7900) Citi Prestige ($5000) Discover It ($10500) Walmart Discover ($6000) Wells Fargo CB ($4700)
Message 5 of 13
Crashem
Valued Contributor

6 months is enough for the student verisons of cards.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 13
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'd wouldn't recommend applying for Discover More Student without being able to show $14,000 income (yes, really).

They approved me with 10k as income and no credit history.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CruzImperial wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They approved me with 10k as income and no credit history.

They seemed strangely adamant about the minimum income when I reconed and I had 7 months of credit history.

Message 8 of 13
tinkytoo
Regular Contributor

Can you explain how a student can use their grants and scholarships as income. My daughter is a full time college student she is trying to build credit she already have the student discover that started out at 750 and is now 1500. She got this card June of last year

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked one of my reports today (trans union) and have a question, one of the months it says the reported bill was $500 , however the bill was only $150 since I paid before the due date to keep under 20% util (Before I found this site I thought thats where I had to be)

Also at this point they're only reporting 5 months, but thats ok time will fix that.

My question is is this an error and should I contact them or does the bank report the total used on the card, and not the final bill?..if so this month im in trouble lol.

Once agian I supose this would be easily fixable since my report is still young.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.