Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Credit Cards

tag
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Re: Secure Credit Cards

You might want to look at Capital One again.  They have a pre-qualification app at https://findmycard.capitalone.com/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_MS_V02.aspx that you can use to see what you may qualify for.  The pre-qualify is a soft pull.  Your scores may have improved enough by now.

If you do decide to apply, it will be a hard pull across all 3 bureaus.

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 11 of 15
Datx
Valued Contributor

Looks like NFCU has a branch in NJ: You wouldnt happen to be in the military or have members in the military would you?

NavyFederal.org is their site to check out membership eligiblity requirements.

Also check out Pinnacle FCU:  

pinnaclefcu.org

They have a secured card but it is underwritted by Elan Financial services it looks like.

And another one I found that offers secured cards in NJ is Liberty Savings FCU:

lsfcu.org

For the CUs I posted above. Check them out on their website and see if you can get more info on their secured cards. And of course check to see if you qualify for membership. Hopefully you find a good one that you can get approved for, and able to build a strong relationship with.

Message 12 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@trix_r_4_kids wrote:

You might want to look at Capital One again.  They have a pre-qualification app at https://findmycard.capitalone.com/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_MS_V02.aspx that you can use to see what you may qualify for.  The pre-qualify is a soft pull.  Your scores may have improved enough by now.

If you do decide to apply, it will be a hard pull across all 3 bureaus.

He got rejected from cap one secured already.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 15
Datx
Valued Contributor

@Datx wrote:

Looks like NFCU has a branch in NJ: You wouldnt happen to be in the military or have members in the military would you?

NavyFederal.org is their site to check out membership eligiblity requirements.

Also check out Pinnacle FCU:  

pinnaclefcu.org

They have a secured card but it is underwritted by Elan Financial services it looks like.

And another one I found that offers secured cards in NJ is Liberty Savings FCU:

lsfcu.org

For the CUs I posted above. Check them out on their website and see if you can get more info on their secured cards. And of course check to see if you qualify for membership. Hopefully you find a good one that you can get approved for, and able to build a strong relationship with.

Also, another good CU to join is Andrews Federal CU. They have a branch in NJ. But, from what I know, they are on the conservative side. They do have a secured Visa as well, but im not sure what the lending requirements are.

andrewsfcu.org

Again, do some research and call them up to ask to see if you can possibly qualify.

Message 14 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@dujaidecor wrote:

I applied for Capital one secured card and was denied. I am located in New Jersey.

There are likely the easiest of major banks, so I woulld rule out the others (BofA, Citi, USBank, WF) 

I suggest you look at the other secured cards 

(Platinum Zero,  Applied Bank, FIrst Progess, OpenSky)

that MyFico recommends. 

http://www.myfico.com/Credit-Cards/

My guess is you have about equal chance for any of these.    Look at the terms to pick.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.