Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured card with rental car CDW?

tag
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

Re: Secured card with rental car CDW?

Thank you for keeping us updated! Those are great benefits for a secured card.

I also have something to mention, which isn't a secured card but a business debit card from First Hawaiian Bank. Their website doesn't mention this, but according to Mastercard (MC has a benefits website where you can enter your card number and see the benefits, which I sort of hate Visa for not having), it has CDW, extended warranty, and purchase protection, much like a credit card. Pretty nice for a debit card. My personal debit card from there has extended warranty but not CDW. I'm not sure if the bank is open to everyone in the USA, though. My credit card app only listed Hawaii, Guam, and the CNMI under "states".

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 28
comfortably_numb
New Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@comfortably_numb wrote:

I called the number on the back of the card- and also the number Andrews gave me to call- 800-348-8472 (also in your link posted above). They said this card does not have the CDW benefit. If you think I should be calling a different number, pass it along.

I do not have a number for you. I was asking if you had called Visa themselves or Andrews. But if it was the number on the back of your card, then they should know. Also, on their page for the secured card, it clearly states CDW waiver:

Screenshot_20221201-182027_Firefox.jpg

Yes, clearly the card *should* have the coverage, but according to the "Benefit Administrator" it does not. I've had to utilize CDW twice in the past (both for deer strikes) so verifying coverage is important to me.

Message 22 of 28
comfortably_numb
New Contributor

Update on this thread. I've had the Andrews secured card for several months and have used it to rent cars. Now that my credit has improved, I would like to "graduate" to an unsecured card. I received a pre-approved offer from Mission Lane Visa in the mail in December. The mailer stated the card has CDW. Mission Lane is either unwilling or unable to verify this- they keep telling me to call Visa. Any other recommendations for an unsecured card with CDW for someone with a FICO score of about 694?

Message 23 of 28
comfortably_numb
New Contributor

PS- just discovered Fidelity Bank's debit card has CDW:

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/atm-debit-card

Message 24 of 28
comfortably_numb
New Contributor

Received my new Mission Lane Visa today. Called Visa Benefits and they confirmed the card does indeed have the auto rental CDW.

Message 25 of 28
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@comfortably_numb wrote:

Received my new Mission Lane Visa today. Called Visa Benefits and they confirmed the card does indeed have the auto rental CDW.

Glad you finally found one!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 26 of 28
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

Nice that you finally got confirmation Smiley Happy

And thanks for all the updates!

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 28
comfortably_numb
New Contributor

PS- Mission Lane started me with a $2,000 CL with another $1,000 boost in 6 months with good payment history. No annual fee, CDW coverage, and pre-approval check on their website. iPhone app works well. Not a bad card so far for less-than-perfect credit.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.