Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured cc

tag
Yoli14
Regular Contributor

Secured cc

My husband has me as an authorized user. Should I get a secured cc to help boost my credit? If so, any advice which one? Thank you.
Myfico on 02/21/12
Trans: 538 EQ: 591 Ex???
Myfico on 10/09/12
Trans: 600 EQ 602 EX???
Lender Pull 04/15/13
Trans 680, EQ 644, Ex 608
"I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it"
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Secured cc

If you have no other CC lines, absolutely, as soon as possible.  Get two even.

Also for some forms of credit, AU lines may not be useful at all unfortunately, and God only knows what comes up on manual review.  Regardless of whether you're AU or not, establish your own history anyway for dozens of good reasons and not a single bad one.

        
Message 2 of 9
namvet
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If you have no other CC lines, absolutely, as soon as possible.  Get two even.

Also for some forms of credit, AU lines may not be useful at all unfortunately, and God only knows what comes up on manual review.  Regardless of whether you're AU or not, establish your own history anyway for dozens of good reasons and not a single bad one.

+1

Message 3 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Can you get in with NFCU? If not I would highly recommend bofa secured but you might get denied like I did and I just called for recon and was approved. Just do a search on here like I did and read up on secured cards that graduate and read the success stories.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 9
2NE1
Established Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
Can you get in with NFCU? If not I would highly recommend bofa secured but you might get denied like I did and I just called for recon and was approved. Just do a search on here like I did and read up on secured cards that graduate and read the success stories.

I woud like a BoA secured card as well... how did you recon? what do they look for in order to approve you? I applied for their Americard Visa and got denied and tried to recon and was told to wait for the 7-10 day letter they sent me Smiley Mad I asked the CSR if she could possible approve me for a secured card but said I needed to apply again Smiley Sad (another HP for sure) and that I could also stop by a branch to apply.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for a BofA card and got denied, I basically got told the same - wait for the letter. Then a few weeks later I got a counter-offer to apply for the secured card - but of course- it required another HP. Honestly, I don't know why I took the offer, but now I'm sitting on that card for another half a year.

Message 6 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Yoli14 wrote:
My husband has me as an authorized user. Should I get a secured cc to help boost my credit? If so, any advice which one? Thank you.

Do you have any other CC's on your file?? If not I would to get 2, Try Cap1 pre-qualifier and HSBC pre-qualifier. Better for FICO scoring with 2 major bankcards reporting.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I called the credit analyst number that can be found in the sticky here. I was told they denied me cause my current address didn't match what tu had on file. They might counter offer you their 99/500 card which is only available as a counter offer
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rootpooty wrote:
I called the credit analyst number that can be found in the sticky here. I was told they denied me cause my current address didn't match what tu had on file. They might counter offer you their 99/500 card which is only available as a counter offer

Funny you should mention that, during my late December spree I applied for a Cap 1 unsecured, and was insta-denied: the strange thing is today I received a letter from them saying they were still looking into things, because my addresses on my credit reports were different, and that I may have been a victim of identity theft.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.