Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured credit cards from "prime" lenders

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Secured credit cards from "prime" lenders

Every person I have ever talked to at Us Bank has said 680. usually you hear many different numbers from different employees because no one really knows, so they put there own 2 cents in... but US bank seems to know the number.

however lately they care about Debt a lot too above and beyond the 680, but yet they don't seem to mind high util on there own cards if you use there bt offers, etc. 

Message 11 of 20
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

also when i was looking for a secured card i was advised by fifth 3rd bank that they dont offer secured in my state and they said not even a regular card or any type of loans, ec? is that true? i "thought" they were offered everywhere..my dad lives in the same city as i and his truck is thru fifth 3rd bank
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 12 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes some banks products are not available in all states.
Message 13 of 20
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

yes i know i was just wondering if anyone had info regarding this from personal experience..i mean i thought most banks offered a credit card in all states, i know not some secured ones..like for example us bank wont allow me to have one bc of the state i live in but i can have an unsecured card per their cust svc
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can add two to the list that have some issues or at least for me they did:

1.  HSBC Secured:  Problem is I sent them a $300 money order to open one, and they sent it back to me and said "we are unable to open the saving account required for this type of account."  I am on ChexSystems!!! HSBC would not open a blasted savings for me, but if your ARE NOT ON CHEXSYSTEMSm, here is an option.

2.  First Mark Credit Union (San Antonio) Secured:  I opened a secured card with them with a $300 with a TU score of 575.  They are picky about giving CLI even if you have the money deposited into a savings.  They want to see low utlization and I opened 12 new credit card accounts in 1 year.  That freaked them out. 

Also, First Mark is reporting it as a regular credit card.  The secured notation is not present on the CRAs.

Anyone in SA can be a member of FirstMark.

If you know a mainline secured card that dosen't care about ChexSystems and is NOT Wells Fargo, please post it.

Thanks.

Message Edited by jelopez on 01-05-2009 09:41 PM
Message Edited by jelopez on 01-05-2009 09:42 PM
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just bumping this up for the recent askers.
Message 16 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

LilMirth, what a great idea for a thread.  Pen Fed Secured is probably a worthy addition here but not that much info. available on it that i've been able to find at least -except that there appears to be little difference in the approval criteria between the secured and unsecured cards.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 20
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

If you get a secured card does it show on your cr that its secure?
Message 18 of 20
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Shalane, it depends on the lender. I believe it was National City Bank that reported their secured cards as unsecured. However, my Citi Secured Card reports as secured.
Message 19 of 20
cw81
Frequent Contributor

National  City  used  to  approve everyone for  secured cards last year but they have been bought by  PNC and things have changed but  It doesnt hurt  to  call and ask if  they still  provide secured cards. The only thing with them it doesn't unsecure  you have to  close it out and open a new  card after a year or so but it does help you rebuild  and I  think when it has served its purpose you will be able to get unsecured credit.  I believe they pull TU.

Message Edited by cw81 on 06-28-2009 08:31 PM
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.