Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Freeze and CLI's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Security Freeze and CLI's

Tried searching but couldnt get a definitive answer. I am thinking about freezing all three reports so that I can let some of these inquiries drop off. In the mean time I would love to be able to request a few CLI's without the worry of another hard inquiry. Will freezing my reports prevent a current creditor from pulling another hard, or does this just apply to creditors I dont already have an account with? Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Security Freeze and CLI's

@Anonymous wrote:

Tried searching but couldnt get a definitive answer. I am thinking about freezing all three reports so that I can let some of these inquiries drop off. In the mean time I would love to be able to request a few CLI's without the worry of another hard inquiry. Will freezing my reports prevent a current creditor from pulling another hard, or does this just apply to creditors I dont already have an account with? Thanks!

I don't quite understand your reasoning. The inquiries will drop off on schedule whether you freeze your reports or not.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

They might drop off, but a freeze will keep me from replacing them with new ones Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

They might drop off, but a freeze will keep me from replacing them with new ones Smiley Wink

Not that I'm accusing you of anything in particular but just a friendly reminder to everyone to review the Forum's Terms of Service and Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines that say, among other things:

Discussion of illegal or unethical activities or providing links to other websites containing such information;

The only credit repair discussions allowed in FICO Forums are ones that exchange information on how to correct or remove real errors from your credit report – not accurate information that you want to get rid of because it may be negatively affecting your credit score.

Purposely attempting to keep accurate inquiries from being reported by freezing a report is a violation of both of these.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the OP is just trying to protect themself because they feel irresponsible enough to make another big mistake.  Could be wrong!

Message 5 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ptrutkowski wrote:

I think the OP is just trying to protect themself because they feel irresponsible enough to make another big mistake.  Could be wrong!

As I said I'm not accusing anyone of anything but there are posters who do come on here advocating what I wrote about and from time to time it needs to be pointed out this is an unacceptable practice.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 20
Datx
Valued Contributor

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Agreed. Freezing a CR so he/she will think twice before hitting the good ole "Apply" button. And even if he/she does decide to hit that Apply button, the app will just be declined due to the freeze.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I wasnt clear... I want to be required to think twice and pay $5 to unfreeze before I apply for anything. Anyways, does someone have the answer to my original question? Thanks!

Message 8 of 20
anybodii
New Contributor

Yes, you asked a pretty straight forward question, not involving any unethical or illegal activities.

I would say that it would limit them from pulling a hard. A freeze wouldn't allow your own bank an exception.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was pretty sure that was the case. Thanks!

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.