cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking DPs about CC holds

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Seeking DPs about CC holds

I'm looking to find out how each of the major CC issuers deal with authorization holds.  How long do they stay on if there is not an associated charge for the exact amount?  I know my Hilton AMEX releases the next business day after check out.  Never paid any attention on my other cards.

Trying to figure out which card I want to link to my room at DisneyWorld with their asinine new hold policy.

EX680 TU 659 EQ 691
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Visa- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $500 Victoria's Secret- $2000 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $10,000 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-NPSL
NFCU SSL $88/1005
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Established Contributor

Re: Seeking DPs about CC holds

Typically you'll get an authorization hold up to 7 days with most swipes.  Once the merchant reconciles the charge and submits it for payment is typically when they release the hold.  Some CC's or merchants will just do a verification hold of $1 like a gas pump and when the transaction completes they release it.  Hotels/Car Rentals though tend to take into account that you may have incidentals when checking out / returning a car to the lot like meals, gas, erc. and will put a hold of 150% of the cost until the transaction is completed.  

As for DW specifically there have been plenty of posts where if you use a card that say gives you 4% on dining will code correctly for dining events.  If you "link" to your Hilton card as you said it may not get you the best benefit for rewards depending on what you use the bracelet for.

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 2 of 4
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

A lot of it will depend on the merchant more so than the lender.  As mentioned above when the merchant reconciles is when the authorized will go from pending to posted.  There are some where the charge post within a day or so...and in my experience I’ve had charged go pending for so long that they actually drop off only to show up a week or so later.

Unless you’re going to hit a bonus category of some sort on a card I would recommend putting it on your NPSL Amex Gold as then you don’t have to worry about the authorization locking up useful limit on a card you many want to use.  

Message 3 of 4
Established Contributor

I was going to use my CSP with the 2x travel category.  But the Gold or Navy may get it just so I don't have to worry about it.

EX680 TU 659 EQ 691
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Visa- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $500 Victoria's Secret- $2000 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $10,000 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-NPSL
NFCU SSL $88/1005
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.