cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

My Amex Platinum card is up for renewal this month. I will probably be assessed the annual fee at the statement cut off date, which is in a few weeks. Any advice on getting any retention offers. Should I call now or what until the annual fee posts?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

It will be YMMV, Amex has really curbed the retention offers, in favor of offers released to public. Making sure cards are more useful to more cardholders, in more categories.

You won't know though until you ask.

Message 2 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I would wait until the AF post.

@blindambition, Is correct on Amex curbing the retention offers.

I just closed one AF card because they would not budge.

I am not paying a AF just to please the Amex gods, when I am not using the card due to Covid-19.

Message 3 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Flyertalk lists a few this year (these are from May on)

• 5/2020 - 50k MR or $500, no spend requirement
  • 5/13/20 - 30k MR (no spend requirement) or $300 credit for $2,000 spend. Took MR. Annual spend 2019: $10k.
  • 6/7/2020 - 50k MR - no spend requirement. 22 years with Amex and heavier spend on other Amex cards, my Platinum card gets less than $5,000 a year in spend
  • 7/6/2020 30,000 MRP on first anniversary with card (2 days before 30 day limit, moved points before call)
  • 8/7/2020 - 20K MR for AF due next month (Received retention 2 years ago, nothing last year).
Message 4 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Flyertalk lists a few this year (these are from May on)

• 5/2020 - 50k MR or $500, no spend requirement
  • 5/13/20 - 30k MR (no spend requirement) or $300 credit for $2,000 spend. Took MR. Annual spend 2019: $10k.
  • 6/7/2020 - 50k MR - no spend requirement. 22 years with Amex and heavier spend on other Amex cards, my Platinum card gets less than $5,000 a year in spend
  • 7/6/2020 30,000 MRP on first anniversary with card (2 days before 30 day limit, moved points before call)
  • 8/7/2020 - 20K MR for AF due next month (Received retention 2 years ago, nothing last year).

Wait until AF posts.

I got 50k no spend on 4/29...but that was days before the streaming and wireless credits were rolled out.

Along with annual spend, the frequency with which you request retention offers may also affect whether you get one.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Agreed.  Absolutely wait until the AF posts.  Best results will come to those with normally heavy spend across their Amex accounts who rarely or never ask for retention offers.

Message 6 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Wait for the fee to post.  Then call and tell the machine you want to close your account.

If you get a prerecorded message with terms and conditions for closing then there's no offer for you.  You can either proceed with closing the account or hang up and try again another time.

If there is an offer available, you'll be transferred to a live agent.  Typically they'll make the offer without you having to ask.  Also they typically have a couple of different offer options to pick from (like one points offer and one statement credit offer), so be sure to ask if there are other offers available.

Data suggests retention offers are only available once every two years.

Message 7 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Wait for the fee to post.  Then call and tell the machine you want to close your account.

If you get a prerecorded message with terms and conditions for closing then there's no offer for you.  You can either proceed with closing the account or hang up and try again another time.

If there is an offer available, you'll be transferred to a live agent.  Typically they'll make the offer without you having to ask.  Also they typically have a couple of different offer options to pick from (like one points offer and one statement credit offer), so be sure to ask if there are other offers available.

?  OP is inquiring about the American Express Platinum Card.  I don't think I've ever even heard an entire ring before speaking with a live person.  (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve were this way until a few years ago, as well.)

Message 8 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

?  OP is inquiring about the American Express Platinum Card.  I don't think I've ever even heard an entire ring before speaking with a live person.  (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve were this way until a few years ago, as well.)

OMG you sound offended 🤣

With that said....

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 7.14.00 PM.png

Message 9 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Heart  It is one nice distinction that Platinum cardholders go straight to the same call center as Centurion cardholders.  Never change, Amex.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.