cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

I called the number on the back of my card and I didn't even use the word "cancel" or "close". I just said it was hard to use the perks given COVID and was wondering if I had any offers available.

I think I used the phrase "even a small offer would be great".

Only time I've asked (on that particular account) in four years, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

?  OP is inquiring about the American Express Platinum Card.  I don't think I've ever even heard an entire ring before speaking with a live person.  (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve were this way until a few years ago, as well.)

Ah... I don't have a Plat so I didn't realize you guys get the elite CS experience.  My mistake.

I'll just keep hanging out down here with the riff raff. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 17
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Wait for the fee to post.  Then call and tell the machine you want to close your account.

If you get a prerecorded message with terms and conditions for closing then there's no offer for you.  You can either proceed with closing the account or hang up and try again another time.

If there is an offer available, you'll be transferred to a live agent.  Typically they'll make the offer without you having to ask.  Also they typically have a couple of different offer options to pick from (like one points offer and one statement credit offer), so be sure to ask if there are other offers available.

Data suggests retention offers are only available once every two years.

?  OP is inquiring about the American Express Platinum Card.  I don't think I've ever even heard an entire ring before speaking with a live person.  (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve were this way until a few years ago, as well.)

Interesting, I've had the polar opposite experience. Chase picks up immediately and blows sunshine up my backside for 20 seconds; Amex has me twiddling thumbs for a few moments or waiting on a chat window with someone who has no idea what to do. I had to contact Amex 3 different times just to get one card shipped to me.

Message 13 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

Thanks, everyone for your advice. I will definitely wait until my annual fee posts, which should be late next week. Will keep you all posted on the outcome.
BTW- spend across all cards would not be considered "high volume" but I have never requested a retention offer, had the platinum card since 2016, and been an overall cardmember since 1999. When I call should I flat out ask if there are any retention offers?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 14 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@sjt wrote:

When I call should I flat out ask if there are any retention offers?

That's what I do.  Seems to work.

Message 15 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

My annual fee posted last night and I called this morning. Got nothing, nada, except for a reminder of the temporary credits I received for my cell phone and cable bill.......

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 17
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Ah... I don't have a Plat so I didn't realize you guys get the elite CS experience.  My mistake.

I'll just keep hanging out down here with the riff raff. Smiley Wink

We are the non-special people lol

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.