cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

sjt
Senior Contributor

Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

My Amex Platinum card is up for renewal this month. I will probably be assessed the annual fee at the statement cut off date, which is in a few weeks. Any advice on getting any retention offers. Should I call now or what until the annual fee posts?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Platinum, Business Cash
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture VS
Chase: Freedom U VS, CSR VI
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity VS
Credit Union: Rewards Visa
FICO 08: (3.04.21) EX: 838 / EQ: 850 / TU: 848
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
blindambition
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

It will be YMMV, Amex has really curbed the retention offers, in favor of offers released to public. Making sure cards are more useful to more cardholders, in more categories.

You won't know though until you ask.

Message 2 of 17
M_Smart007
Epic Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

I would wait until the AF post.

@blindambition, Is correct on Amex curbing the retention offers.

I just closed one AF card because they would not budge.

 

I am not paying a AF just to please the Amex gods, when I am not using the card due to Covid-19.

Message 3 of 17
longtimelurker
Mega Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

Flyertalk lists a few this year (these are from May on)

 

  • 5/2020 - 50k MR or $500, no spend requirement
  • 5/13/20 - 30k MR (no spend requirement) or $300 credit for $2,000 spend. Took MR. Annual spend 2019: $10k.
  • 6/7/2020 - 50k MR - no spend requirement. 22 years with Amex and heavier spend on other Amex cards, my Platinum card gets less than $5,000 a year in spend
  • 7/6/2020 30,000 MRP on first anniversary with card (2 days before 30 day limit, moved points before call)
  • 8/7/2020 - 20K MR for AF due next month (Received retention 2 years ago, nothing last year).
Message 4 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.


@longtimelurker wrote:

Flyertalk lists a few this year (these are from May on)

 

  • 5/2020 - 50k MR or $500, no spend requirement
  • 5/13/20 - 30k MR (no spend requirement) or $300 credit for $2,000 spend. Took MR. Annual spend 2019: $10k.
  • 6/7/2020 - 50k MR - no spend requirement. 22 years with Amex and heavier spend on other Amex cards, my Platinum card gets less than $5,000 a year in spend
  • 7/6/2020 30,000 MRP on first anniversary with card (2 days before 30 day limit, moved points before call)
  • 8/7/2020 - 20K MR for AF due next month (Received retention 2 years ago, nothing last year).

Wait until AF posts.

 

I got 50k no spend on 4/29...but that was days before the streaming and wireless credits were rolled out.

 

Along with annual spend, the frequency with which you request retention offers may also affect whether you get one.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 5 of 17
K-in-Boston
Moderator

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

Agreed.  Absolutely wait until the AF posts.  Best results will come to those with normally heavy spend across their Amex accounts who rarely or never ask for retention offers.

Message 6 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

Wait for the fee to post.  Then call and tell the machine you want to close your account.

 

If you get a prerecorded message with terms and conditions for closing then there's no offer for you.  You can either proceed with closing the account or hang up and try again another time.

 

If there is an offer available, you'll be transferred to a live agent.  Typically they'll make the offer without you having to ask.  Also they typically have a couple of different offer options to pick from (like one points offer and one statement credit offer), so be sure to ask if there are other offers available.

 

Data suggests retention offers are only available once every two years.

Message 7 of 17
K-in-Boston
Moderator

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.


@MrDisco99 wrote:

Wait for the fee to post.  Then call and tell the machine you want to close your account.

 

If you get a prerecorded message with terms and conditions for closing then there's no offer for you.  You can either proceed with closing the account or hang up and try again another time.

 

If there is an offer available, you'll be transferred to a live agent.  Typically they'll make the offer without you having to ask.  Also they typically have a couple of different offer options to pick from (like one points offer and one statement credit offer), so be sure to ask if there are other offers available.

 

Data suggests retention offers are only available once every two years.


?  OP is inquiring about the American Express Platinum Card.  I don't think I've ever even heard an entire ring before speaking with a live person.  (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve were this way until a few years ago, as well.)

Message 8 of 17
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.


@K-in-Boston wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Wait for the fee to post.  Then call and tell the machine you want to close your account.

 

If you get a prerecorded message with terms and conditions for closing then there's no offer for you.  You can either proceed with closing the account or hang up and try again another time.

 

If there is an offer available, you'll be transferred to a live agent.  Typically they'll make the offer without you having to ask.  Also they typically have a couple of different offer options to pick from (like one points offer and one statement credit offer), so be sure to ask if there are other offers available.

 

Data suggests retention offers are only available once every two years.


?  OP is inquiring about the American Express Platinum Card.  I don't think I've ever even heard an entire ring before speaking with a live person.  (Sapphire Preferred and Reserve were this way until a few years ago, as well.)


 

OMG you sound offended 🤣

 

With that said....

 

 

Screenshot 2019-10-22 at 7.14.00 PM.png

Message 9 of 17
K-in-Boston
Moderator

Re: Seeking advice on getting a Amex Platinum retention offer.

Heart  It is one nice distinction that Platinum cardholders go straight to the same call center as Centurion cardholders.  Never change, Amex.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.