Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

tag
Grover627
New Contributor

Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

I have read by some on here that Barclay has a reputation of cancelling new accounts after learning that there have been applications for new credit. I was approved for Barclays Reward MC a few weeks ago, with a $1500 limit. I plan on using this as my gas card, keeping my limits low, and PIF each month. How long though, should I wait to apply for other cards, while keeping Barclays happy?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

@Grover627 wrote:

I have read by some on here that Barclay has a reputation of cancelling new accounts after learning that there have been applications for new credit. I was approved for Barclays Reward MC a few weeks ago, with a $1500 limit. I plan on using this as my gas card, keeping my limits low, and PIF each month. How long though, should I wait to apply for other cards, while keeping Barclays happy?

YMMV but i would say 5-6 months 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Grover627
New Contributor

Should I also avoid asking for CLI with current cards during this wait?

Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Don't worry about asking for CLIs. Go for it
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Grover627 wrote:

Should I also avoid asking for CLI with current cards during this wait?

No seek as many as you wish I would just try and avoid the HP unless I thought it was a lender that gave BIG CLI's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 9
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

In 9/12 and when I got my last card with Barclays, I got their card last (after I had opened 4-5 new cards in 6/12). They noticed the new cards, and warned me to not app for "awhile" to avoid adverse action. When I specifically asked what was "awhile" the CSR said 6 months. I waited, but that being said I think if you use their card and pay it on time, as you plan too you should be fine with them. They seem to like people who use their card regularly.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 6 of 9
Grover627
New Contributor

OK- One more ignorant question from me... I was considering applying for a store card or two. With my new Barclays card, should I put off doing that, or are store cards in a different catagory than other cards?

Message 7 of 9
withaspark
Contributor

I Re: Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

As another Barclays data point, I applied for 4 cards in the 6 months before opening a CC acct with Barclays and two more at the same time that showed as open on my credit report the following two months and no AA. In fact, they bombarded me with offers for an obscene bonus for spending over $750/mo for 3 months. The only thing I can think of is that I made sure no cards reported any balance at the end of period but showed very large actual payment amounts (proved use but didn't let any balances post)...maybe even though they didn't like the new accounts...use with absolutely no CC debt is low risk. YMMV.

Message 8 of 9
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Re: I Re: Seeking new credit after Barclay approval

Some squeek through, some don't.  Why chance it, unless you really need another card?  Barclays gets nervous if they see new accounts opened after theirs. Think it through, and be careful.  They will watch what is going on with your reports for 6 months afterwards.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.