cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious question about credit, Help appreciated!

tag
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

Serious question about credit, Help appreciated!

Hello! Okay i was wondering if income is a big factor in credit, well of course it is, but does it have to be what you make?

I have no income because i am a student, but my parents give me quite alot of money every month for spending purposes.

or is it more of the paying off the amount i spend every month that they look at?

Thanks in advanced!

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Serious question about credit, Help appreciated!

@Gornet wrote:

Hello! Okay i was wondering if income is a big factor in credit, well of course it is, but does it have to be what you make?

I have no income because i am a student, but my parents give me quite alot of money every month for spending purposes.

or is it more of the paying off the amount i spend every month that they look at?

Thanks in advanced!

How old are you?

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 26
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@Gornet wrote:

Thanks in advanced!

Income matter when a creditor determines DTI ratio. Essentially, how much (%) is going towards your bills. it's not uncommon for many people to embellish their income, as most CCC's don't require proof of income, but if they do, you're pretty much auto declined. It becomes a slippery slope at that point whether or not you want to "pretend" your allowance from your parents is a form of income. 

What I would recommend is asking your parents to add you as an AU to a few of their CC's that have a long history and very low UTL, but don't actually have a card for those accounts, except one (the one you'll actually use in lieu of an allowance). That's what I did when I was in college and no job. And by the time I had a job while in school, my CR was established well enough to get good cards. 

If AU route is not an option, I would recommend a secured card or applying for a student card, you'd have to do some research as some secured/student cards still require some form of income.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 3 of 26
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

Okay, first off i just called my mom saying i joined a forum about this stuff and lets say she was pretty mad. She said the route i was going i was going to crash and screw up my credit because everything to me is about "status"... She may be right Smiley Frustrated

I am 18 years old to answer your question

She told me that a AU is not ever going to happen because my parents have a combined 1.5m worth of credit, and she did not work this hard for me to screw it up :/ She also mentioned i was past the stage of getting a student card because i was recently accepted for the gold delta sky miles (I fly about 10-15 times a year). I just wanted to know how to raise my limit so i can spend more monthly so i can get diamond medallion status quicker for delta (currently a gold). I am unemployed and dont look foward to getting a job until i get my business degree in about 3 years. 

My Credit story
Message 4 of 26
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@Gornet wrote:

Okay, first off i just called my mom saying i joined a forum about this stuff and lets say she was pretty mad. She said the route i was going i was going to crash and screw up my credit because everything to me is about "status"... She may be right Smiley Frustrated

She told me that a AU is not ever going to happen because she has 1.5m worth of credit, and she did not work this hard for me to screw it up :/ She also mentioned i was past the stage of getting a student card because i was recently accepted for the gold delta sky miles. I just wanted to know how to raise my limit so i can spend more monthly so i can get diamond medallion status quicker for delta (currently a gold). I am unemployed and dont look foward to getting a job until i get my business degree in about 3 years. 

That's unfortunate about your mother.  Being under 21, I don't think you're able to claim the money your parents give you as income, unless perhaps you claim it on your taxes.  This leads me to wonder, when you applied for the Amex, what did you enter as your employment status?  At your age they should've required either a cosigner or proof of income.

If you receive grants or scholarships that don't pay for school-related expenses, but rather living expenses such as room and board, this is taxable income.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 5 of 26
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@Gornet wrote:

She told me that a AU is not ever going to happen because she has 1.5m worth of credit, and she did not work this hard for me to screw it up :/ She also mentioned i was past the stage of getting a student card because i was recently accepted for the gold delta sky miles (I fly about 10-15 times a year). I just wanted to know how to raise my limit so i can spend more monthly so i can get diamond medallion status quicker for delta (currently a gold). I am unemployed and dont look foward to getting a job until i get my business degree in about 3 years. 

Well, good job on the Amex! As far as the AU goes... I think you should do some research and educate you and your mom about the benefits of being an AU. Get one thing straight, being an AU is not about using the card at all. In this instance, your piggybacking off of her hard work so you don't have to work as hard to get great cards with great limits. But, I can see how it sounds to parent when a kid asks to be an AU on a $50k CL card. Since your goal is to start increasing your limits to a point where you can spend more, there's another way to do it... Spend, make a payment the day it posts to your account. Rinse and repeat. If you plan to spend $1k a month on a card with a CL of $500, that's the only way to do it.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 6 of 26
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

I am 18 years old

My Credit story
Message 7 of 26
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@AeroKrix wrote:

@Gornet wrote:

She told me that a AU is not ever going to happen because she has 1.5m worth of credit, and she did not work this hard for me to screw it up :/ She also mentioned i was past the stage of getting a student card because i was recently accepted for the gold delta sky miles (I fly about 10-15 times a year). I just wanted to know how to raise my limit so i can spend more monthly so i can get diamond medallion status quicker for delta (currently a gold). I am unemployed and dont look foward to getting a job until i get my business degree in about 3 years. 

Well, good job on the Amex! As far as the AU goes... I think you should do some research and educate you and your mom about the benefits of being an AU. Get one thing straight, being an AU is not about using the card at all. In this instance, your piggybacking off of her hard work so you don't have to work as hard to get great cards with great limits. But, I can see how it sounds to parent when a kid asks to be an AU on a $50k CL card. Since your goal is to start increasing your limits to a point where you can spend more, there's another way to do it... Spend, make a payment the day it posts to your account. Rinse and repeat. If you plan to spend $1k a month on a card with a CL of $500, that's the only way to do it.

OP's mother sounds a lot like my own, and if she is, offering to "educate" her will go nowhere pretty quickly, especially where finances are concerned.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 8 of 26
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

@Gornet wrote:

1.  She can add you as an AU to one card, not all $1.5m (1.5 m? really? sorry, just a skeptic).

2.  She can add you as an AU WITHOUT giving you a card so you do not have access to "screw up her credit".

3.  How were you accepted for AMEX if you do not have income?

4.  I don't think you can get a student card now without being 21.  Just heard this yesterday and have not verified.

Trying to be respectful but this is not making sense to me.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 9 of 26
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

This is true. You cant educate her if she knows everything about the system.

As for my gold delta amex card I put 0000 on my income i believe, and my employment status as unemployed. I listed myself as a student.

I got a email from delta offering the card to me and thats where this all started, now all of a sudden i want the best of the best. My mother said i need to slow down and the best needs to be earned.

Growing up is literally harder then i thought it would be. Smiley Mad

My Credit story
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.